AP: Gophers to send off inspiring seniors McBrayer and Murphy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

The season, let alone Dupree McBrayer's entire college career at Minnesota, hasn't played out the way he planned it.

When his mother, Tayra McFarlane, retired from her job as an assistant warden at a notorious New York City jail , her decision was driven by desire to attend as many of her son's games as possible during his senior year. Cancer dashed that hope, quickly and cruelly. She died on Dec. 3.

McBrayer will be introduced on the court before the Gophers play Purdue on Tuesday night, the final scheduled home game for him and four others set to depart the university, and McFarlane's absence will be felt again by everyone connected to and in support of the program.

"I have my aunt, my uncle, my brother, my cousin, a couple of my friends," McBrayer said. "I'll get emotional, probably, when I'm out there, but everything will be trying to get the win for our team."

The last Big Ten game for McBrayer and his close friend Jordan Murphy on that uniquely raised floor at Williams Arena has arrived, in the form of this critical matchup with the 11th-ranked Boilermakers. Most current NCAA Tournament projections have the Gophers (18-11, 8-10) in the field, but that doesn't mean they can lose out and assume they'll still get in. Beating Purdue would go a long way toward securing one of the 68 spots.

"I would say this team likes pressure," McBrayer said Monday afternoon. "To have a top 15 team come into your building, what more could you want?"

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports...cle_398c10b6-2feb-5f2b-bb8b-fa73abfc04bd.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom