AP: College Football recruiters use Twitter to bend the rules

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

Coaches can tweet to their heart's content to let fans know that “someone” has verbally committed to their school without actually mentioning the recruit by name. And they're doing it all over the country, whether it's Tennessee's Butch Jones tweeting “#BrickByBrick” or Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin tweeting “#Yessir!”

Tennessee compliance director Todd Dooley has heard of a coach attempting to contact a recruit via direct message — allowed by NCAA rules — and inadvertently put the note on his actual Twitter feed instead.

Dooley said he doesn't mind if Tennessee's coaches tweet about what places they're visiting on recruiting trips, but he asks them to avoid saying a specific school “or anything that would narrow it down to people being able to identify a specific recruit.”

Vining-Smith gives Notre Dame's coaches similar advice.

“If they're going to Texas and if they say, 'I'm heading to Dallas to find some talent' or whatever, well that's fine because there are plenty of people in Dallas they could be going to see,” Vining-Smith said. “And my opinion on that is even if we're recruiting one kid from Dallas, I'm still OK with it because Dallas is a big city and there are lots of kids there that have the talent to play at Notre Dame.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25063833/college-football-recruiters-use-twitter-bend-rules

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom