AP article on players who moved on from Colorado after being cut by Sanders

Waiting to cut that many guys after the spring game is a dick move.

Maybe, but it drew lots of media attention. You can't deny the man is a genius at self-promotion.

It's unbelievable how the sporting press and TV folks went bat-shit crazy over Colorado, especially early in the season, before the rubber actually met the road.

Maybe, but it drew lots of media attention. You can't deny the man is a genius at self-promotion.

It's unbelievable how the sporting press and TV folks went bat-shit crazy over Colorado, especially early in the season, before the rubber actually met the road.
I don't think the timing is what drew lots of attention. It was that he cut and brought in so many guys. It would have been the same response had to cut all those guys in January. Doing it earlier would have made it easier for those guys to find a good home.

I don't think the timing is what drew lots of attention. It was that he cut and brought in so many guys. It would have been the same response had to cut all those guys in January. Doing it earlier would have made it easier for those guys to find a good home.

I don't know him, so I don't know if he's a jerk or not. And I don't much care.

I'm simply pointing out he's a genius at drawing attention to himself. He always has been.

Dicks make dick moves.
And the media loves dick moves. Look how much attention Elon Musk gets for being a heel people have practically forgotten he maybe still runs Tesla

Waiting to cut that many guys until after the spring game is a dick move.
Wait a minute! SI "Sportsman of the Year" would never be a dick, would he? Frank Deford, George Plimpton, Dan Jenkins, Rick Reilly, etc. must be rolling over in their graves or embarrassed as hell.

And the media loves dick moves. Look how much attention Elon Musk gets for being a heel people have practically forgotten he maybe still runs Tesla
The approach to just about everything in the world now resembles professional wrestling.

Never liked neon as a player, even less as a coach. Thinks he is smart but it's only his ego.

Eckardt hasn’t been the model of loyalty himself. Originally committed to Northern Illinois then reneged when Arizona offered. Now he’s about to play for his fourth school. The whole situation is a microcosm of college football now.

I personally like him but what he did a Colorado was being a dick. And he got rewarded for it.

I don't know him, so I don't know if he's a jerk or not. And I don't much care.

I'm simply pointing out he's a genius at drawing attention to himself. He always has been.
Being outlandish and/or doing things others won’t do because of their moral/ethical standards isn’t “genius”.

It’s main character syndrome combined with a sincere lack of caring how actions impact others.

Dude was a great CB but that’s it.

Being outlandish and/or doing things others won’t do because of their moral/ethical standards isn’t “genius”.

It’s main character syndrome combined with a sincere lack of caring how actions impact others.

Dude was a great CB but that’s it.

He is a genius — at garnering attention. His goal is to turn the focus on himself. He is outstanding at doing just that.

Does he care how his actions impact others? That question is certainly relevant if we're discussing whether or not he's a good person.

But I wasn't talking about whether or not he's a good person.

I was only pointing out — correctly, I believe — that he's really, really good at self-promotion. That doesn't make him a great guy; far from it.

Last edited:

This is the world the players wanted. They want to get paid and have more freedom, then programs need to treat it that way as well. We aren't concerned when pro teams clean house during a rebuild. This world will greatly benefit some players but it will negatively impact others. The freedom to choose and move around comes with that price.

Do I like the way Prime handled it? Absolutely not. I think it was cheap and actually stupid. That program cutting OL in their 2-deeps just doesn't make sense from a logical standpoint.

Isn't that just professional sports?
Not sure what you mean, but I highly doubt any or many of those but were getting any NIL money, and Deon KNEW that he was not going to retain them...stringing them out to be able to hold the spring game and cutting them IMMEDIATELY afterwards was completely unethical and below board, IMHO.

Not sure what you mean, but I highly doubt any or many of those but were getting any NIL money, and Deon KNEW that he was not going to retain them...stringing them out to be able to hold the spring game and cutting them IMMEDIATELY afterwards was completely unethical and below board, IMHO.
What I mean is that the system now is a system that is similar to professional free market trade. In that system, there are winners (Caleb Williams, Bucky Irving, etc.) and there are losers (some players being cut).

I have no idea what these particular players would have done if they had better opportunities. What would this kid have done if USC came calling and there was a NIL package involved? I have no idea. There are certainly guys like Nubin but a lot of these people are as loyal as their options. This kid had already left one school for another.

My point is that in this system where players have the ability to move around, the schools cannot be loyal to scholarships like they had been. A coach like Prime is the inevitable conclusion in a system the players (collectively) fought for.

I personally like him but what he did a Colorado was being a dick. And he got rewarded for it.
I agree with you but at the same time, isn't this just a sign of college football in 2023? Not saying it is right or wrong, but it is now the world we live in. He just did it to the extreme. He did bring in more talent and they were drastically better with a 3 game improvement over 2022. Assuming he can keep majority of talent they brought in they should be even better next year.

What killed the perception of Colorado is they upset TCU in week one. TCU was fresh off the National Championship game and ranked. Expectations at Colorado rose drastically.

I agree with you but at the same time, isn't this just a sign of college football in 2023? Not saying it is right or wrong, but it is now the world we live in. He just did it to the extreme. He did bring in more talent and they were drastically better with a 3 game improvement over 2022. Assuming he can keep majority of talent they brought in they should be even better next year.

What killed the perception of Colorado is they upset TCU in week one. TCU was fresh off the National Championship game and ranked. Expectations at Colorado rose drastically.

Colorado was a complete disaster when Sanders took over.

Drastic changes were called for.

Did he do it "the right way"? Was he properly kind, considerate respectful? I don't know.

There may be still more drastic changes to come. The Buffs didn't exactly finish strong.

I'm glad he failed on the clean house method. Can you imagine how many coaches would have fowled his lead if it worked?

Looks like the clean house method 2.0 will be enacted.

New OC
Bringing in Warren Sapp
Phil Loadholt (former Viking) now hired as OL coach. (No coaching experience of note)

Looks like the clean house method 2.0 will be enacted.

New OC
Bringing in Warren Sapp
Phil Loadholt (former Viking) now hired as OL coach. (No coaching experience of note)
I'm not sure hiring all your buddies (especially ones with no coaching experience) will end well but we'll see what happens.

It might get you talent but does it get you a good team?

It would have been interesting to see how much hype Colorado would have gotten had TCU not been so ridiculously overrated to start the year. Them beating a CFP team from the year before got people thinking they were something that they weren't.

In the end they brought in some flashy talent, improved their overall record by 3 wins and finished with the exact same conference record as the year before

Top Bottom