AP All Americans Michael-Schmitz and Mo

According to poster Yah-E we should be disappointed in the recruiting efforts that brought these two lower-level 3* players (Mo = 0.8395 and JMD 0.8412) to Minnesota. These are classic decent-sized fish from small ponds--not sharks or whales (like they get at Texas A&M)! Personally, I am very proud of the potential and upside our recruiters saw in these two (and many other Gophers). I am also proud of how we developed these recruits into dominant college stars.

Last edited:

These star ratings to players in the Midwest, like 247 are being provided by a guy that did not play football and is a comedian on the side of his 247 job.

What percentage of 5* recruits end up all americans? And the same for 4* and 3*. Of course some pan out but if you could have a roster of all 5* recruits you take that every time.

This stuff always gets me back to when was the last time a player went into the Ring of honor and what are the requirements?

This stuff always gets me back to when was the last time a player went into the Ring of honor and what are the requirements?
Who's in it now? Guessing almost all are also in college football hall of fame?

Wait is his name John-Michael Schmitz, or John Michael-Schmitz? I always assumed the former.

John Michael has now made two of the five teams (AP, Football Writers) necessary to achieve consensus All-American according to the NCAA. He needs one more from either the coaches or TSN. He missed the Walter Camp. IMO Mo should have made first team, too.

John Michael has now made two of the five teams (AP, Football Writers) necessary to achieve consensus All-American according to the NCAA. He needs one more from either the coaches or TSN. He missed the Walter Camp. IMO Mo should have made first team, too.
Sporting News left JMS off its All American teams. Oluwatimi has made 3 of the AA teams (TSN, Camp, FWAA) necessary for consensus AA, and JMS has made 2 so far. If they both make the coaches AA tomorrow, are they both consensus AA? Can there be two consensus AA centers? Seems strange, but maybe a possibility since FWAA picked them both.

Edit: Coaches picked JMS (and Mo) second team, so no consensus. Michigan guy ends up consensus center.

Last edited:

According to poster Yah-E we should be disappointed in the recruiting efforts that brought these two lower-level 3* players (Mo = 0.8395 and JMD 0.8412) to Minnesota. These are classic small fish from small ponds--not sharks or whales (like they get at Texas A&M)! Personally, I am very proud of the potential and upside our recruiters saw in these two (and many other Gophers). I am also proud of how we developed these recruits into dominant college stars.
Did you mean big 🐠 in a small pond?

Sporting News left JMS off its All American teams. Oluwatimi has made 3 of the AA teams (TSN, Camp, FWAA) necessary for consensus AA, and JMS has made 2 so far. If they both make the coaches AA tomorrow, are they both consensus AA? Can there be two consensus AA centers? Seems strange, but maybe a possibility since FWAA picked them both.

Too bad Sporting News (aka TSN) left John and Mo off both first and second teams (what were they thinking?) but sometimes a player making two of the five teams becomes official, anyway, if no other player in the category has three except for one. They add an extra player. The coaches' choices Wednesday might settle the matter.

Too bad Sporting News (aka TSN) left John and Mo off both first and second teams (what were they thinking?) but sometimes a player making two of the five teams becomes official, anyway, if no other player in the category has three except for one. They add an extra player. The coaches' choices Wednesday might settle the matter.
Unfortunately, John Michael did not make the Coaches' All-America team, hence not a consensus All-American with the NCAA, but did add USA Today to a heap of other All-America teams he has made. Both John Michael and Mo made the coaches' second team.

Top Bottom