Anything positive you can think of?

Moderators, this is a positive thread. Please delete all the negativity oozing into this thread.
Well we didn't clarify that this is a Gophers Positivity thread.

Much of this thread is positive for all the Badgers, Spartans, and Tommies fans on here.

I see the reports of big games from Christie got about 2 'likes'. Many on here don't like to see that.

Here is the question (Loblaw asked) Built answered:
Honest question, how many years would you give Ben if we still in the bottom 2-3 spots of the Big 10?
I'm looking for a big bump up in wins the year-after-next. I seriously want that Haskins-style ground-up rebuild. Start winning when CBJ's recruits are juniors & sophomores.

Xavier was 23-13 and won the NIT the year before Miller took over.

Regardless, that has absolutely nothing to do with Coach Johnson's attempt for a ground-up rebuild here.
Xavier fired their coach mid-NIT run that year because he failed to make the NCAA’s once in his tenure, which the Muskies did 16 of 18 years prior to him. This applies to the conversation, because that is who Ben learned under. By far the least successful coach Xavier had since the late 1970’s.

Xavier’s win % the three years prior to BJ being there: .757
Xavier’s win % the three years BJ was there: .593
Xavier’s win % since BJ has left: .680

I’m not suggesting Ben is responsible for those records. However, when you’re hiring an assistant coach who’s never been a HC before, why wouldn’t you hire an assistant coach from more accomplished coaches than Pitino and Steele? I stand by the fact that he had no business being interviewed in the first place.

Xavier was 23-13 and won the NIT the year before Miller took over.

Regardless, that has absolutely nothing to do with Coach Johnson's attempt for a ground-up rebuild here.
I think it shows that a school should be ready to move on from a bad coach for a good coach even if the team is moving in the right direction. One could argue the prior coaching staff (Steele) was fighting the ship, by getting his team in the NIT (which the eventually won), but the school know that a real coach could potentially get them back to prominence and they went in that direction versus the slow growth model.

However, when you’re hiring an assistant coach who’s never been a HC before, why wouldn’t you hire an assistant coach from more accomplished coaches than Pitino and Steele? I stand by the fact that he had no business being interviewed in the first place.
The idea was that Ben could recruit. And he already has a 5-star center on the way. And Christie seems good.

Let's see if the can keep up the recruiting and build something.

The idea was that Ben could recruit. And he already has a 5-star center on the way. And Christie seems good.

Let's see if the can keep up the recruiting and build something.
So he’s a much worse version of Josh Pastnor and Penny Hardway - let’s just call him Tim Brewster.

And for the Evans recruitment, I thought the primary recruiter from the U on him was Marcus Jenkins (an assistant * not CBJ).

So he’s a much worse version of Josh Pastnor and Penny Hardway - let’s just call him Tim Brewster.

And for the Evans recruitment, I thought the primary recruiter from the U on him was Marcus Jenkins (an assistant * not CBJ).
Is this more of that unbiased analysis that I've been told takes place on here?

It wouldn't simply be mud-slinging. Noooo...that would never happen by all these true Gopher fans.

It wouldn't simply be mud-slinging. Noooo...that would never happen by all these true Gopher fans.
How is it mid slinging, he’s a worse recruiter and delivers worse results compared to both those coaches. Also Brewster won more at this point. Those are all facts…not mud slinging.

And he has even credited Marcus Jenkins with being the primary recruiter (his words, not mine).

You’re the one who claimed he is such an amazing recruiter. (Maybe give credit where credit is due with evans).

My❤️⛽🐪💦4U

Just an observation. Pitino is coaching right now. For New Mexico.
Every post you mention the record of the previous coach. No need to repeat the history as most here know it well.
Johnson's team looks horrendous thus far. Horrible. All facets of the game.
No need to constantly bring up Pitino and his failure at Mn.
Only in response to those who bring up what Pitino is doing now. I have not cited his conference record by number. I hope he does well where he is now. Much easier job now. He proved to be terrible here. Johnson has his chance to do better now. Patience is a virtue.

How is it mid slinging, he’s a worse recruiter and delivers worse results compared to both those coaches. Also Brewster won more at this point. Those are all facts…not mud slinging.

And he has even credited Marcus Jenkins with being the primary recruiter (his words, not mine).

You’re the one who claimed he is such an amazing recruiter. (Maybe give credit where credit is due with evans).
Head coaches get credit when they hire good assistants. This staff is recruiting very
well. We just need to see them become upperclassmen.

We shall

We shall see at the conclusion of this season if players choose to leave. I think the culture term is grossly overused and doesn't always mean much.
Winning makes everything better and almost everyone happy.
We disagree on culture. I’ve coached for many years, read many books, and been to numerous clinics. It’s the only constant used in all of them. You want to call it coach speak then go for it, but we won’t agree and I know many of my former brethren agree.

Winning helps, but typically is a byproduct of a positive culture and talent combined. I will be shocked if everyone stays. It’s not about staying and leaving. It’s about why they are choosing to.

Last edited:

Only in response to those who bring up what Pitino is doing now. I have not cited his conference record by number. I hope he does well where he is now. Much easier job now. He proved to be terrible here. Johnson has his chance to do better now. Patience is a virtue.
You did the same last year so your qualifiers are disingenuous.

We disagree on culture. I’ve coached for many years, read many books, and been to numerous clinics. It’s the only constant used in all of them. You want to call it coach speak then go for it, but we won’t agree and I know many of my former brethren agree.

Winning helps, but typically is a byproduct of a positive culture and talent combined. I will be shocked if everyone stays. It’s not about staying and leaving. It’s about why they are choosing to do.
We don't need to agree. Winning is Winning. Team dynamics change rapidly, sports teams or work teams, etc. Culture is a fine word, and only a word.

You are batting 1000 when questioning gopher fandom.

We don't need to agree. Winning is Winning.
Sure as a fan of something you can choose this as your only metric of importance. It’s the result that mostly matters in retention of a coaches job.
Team dynamics change rapidly, sports teams or work teams, etc.
Hence the importance of program norms, standards, and expectations (A.K.A culture.)
Culture is a fine word, and it’s only word.
Haven’t met a successful leader who doesn’t believe in the importance of culture. Most I’ve ever met or read about site it as being the #1 reason for their groups success. The others just don’t like the term, but then define all the stuff that literally encompasses it.

Sure as a fan of something you can choose this as your only metric of importance. It’s the result that mostly matters in retention of a coaches job.

Hence the importance of program norms, standards, and expectations (A.K.A culture.)

Haven’t met a successful leader who doesn’t believe in the importance of culture. Most I’ve ever met or read about site it as being the #1 reason for their groups success. The others just don’t like the term, but then define all the stuff that literally encompasses it.
Norms, standards, and expectations. Examples of each?

Has this metric lead to lots of wins?
Or it has a corollary culture metric?
Him averaging 6.9 assists is a positive. That is what the thread is about. Not metrics that lead to wind.

No one hates this hire or awful hoops as much as me. Just sharing a positive thing in a thread about positive things

Norms, standards, and expectations. Examples of each?
Depends on what the goals are/program is. Some micromanage everything, some provide more professional courtesy. If you want specifics with the men’s program here, good luck as Ben keeps things pretty tight (compared to PJ for example). Ben has put a lot more emphasis on team activities/building than past coaches here. He’s been more focused on locker room cohesion and they recruit a smaller number of HS players, but build relationships. They will also walk away if they think someone won’t fit (Chatman for example).

Depends on what the goals are/program is. Some micromanage everything, some provide more professional courtesy. If you want specifics with the men’s program here, good luck as Ben keeps things pretty tight (compared to PJ for example). Ben has put a lot more emphasis on team activities/building than past coaches here. He’s been more focused on locker room cohesion and they recruit a smaller number of HS players, but build relationships. They will also walk away if they think someone won’t fit (Chatman for example).
So really nothing to point to that is watching can say yup great culture!!

Him averaging 6.9 assists is a positive. That is what the thread is about. Not metrics that lead to wind.

No one hates this hire or awful hoops as much as me. Just sharing a positive thing in a thread about positive things
My thoughts exactly. Assists are good. I'm a Cooper backer.

So really nothing to point to that is watching can say yup great culture!!
The locker room chemistry is better. Player and coach relationships are better. Our team hasn’t quit on each other in a game yet. That crap happened a lot in our previous coaching regime. Our positional defending is significantly better (rotations, rebounding, and some screen coverages are still gross). Those are two specifics where Ben has improved. So far however It hasn’t proven to show up in positive win loss results though at this time. Not all businesses make money the first couple years either. Doesn’t mean it’s a dog or something to quit on yet.

Top Bottom