Anyone recognize these?

ottertail

Reaction score
5A2C79F0-7486-4F61-A33C-B0AD20A46C3D.jpegDoes anyone recognize these chairs from a UMN athletic facility? They have UM hand engravings with seat number on them and I was told they came from a ‘gophers stadium’. The finish leads me to believe were not outdoors or if they were were not permanent.

No but it would be interesting to see a closeup of the engravings.

Here’s a possibility: At Memorial Stadium there was a section around mid-field likely about 10-20 rows up where dignitaries sat (U President; Regents; elected officials and they sat on folding chairs); I believe I once saw in the on-line University of Minnesota archive a picture of Hubert Humphrey and Eugene McCarthy sitting next to each other at a Gopher football game, perhaps, sitting on these chairs.

That's a fairly common folding chair design that dates back to the thirties. Actually you can still purchase similar designs today.
Would be interesting to know the story about them. Can you provide any additional information or pictures?

Thanks for the input. They were purchased from someone who resells items from estate sales so they didn’t have much more info about them. We just heard Gopher Stadium and immediately bought them. Here are the images of the engravings and a painted logo. The markings are not in the same place and they are only finished on the front side which leads to believe the setup only on gameday theory could be probable.
E4CC39D7-ABE2-4940-BC22-48FE0E573274.jpeg
B22C68A8-E938-42AE-9EE0-A39EC6442BBA.jpeg5792F086-D950-44E5-9F61-0737E208BE5C.jpeg

Could those have been perimeter seats from around the floor at Williams Arena at one time?

Any way they are old enough to be from Cooke Hall?

I have poked around Williams Arena for quite some years...it'd be a very long time ago if that's where they were.
The football idea seems plausible. But Cooke Hall, the Fieldhouse or some other smaller athletic venue seems more likely to me.

What about the possibility the word of mouth info is a bit off and it's a concert hall, Coffman, any of a bunch of theatre buildings or even assembly halls/classrooms?

Top Bottom