Anybody listening to the Pitino show?

GopherGangsta

Banned
Reaction score
Pathetic and gutless........Making excuses again about youth and Coffey leaving, Curry hurt.....Blaming free throws.....Taking no blame for his lack of coaching execution.....7 years in and he is still a joke.

Would we be any better with Curry? He always limped around.. every succesful program has athletes leaving early.. Look at Virginia and TTU this year..

Fact is we are a young team and younger players are more prone to make mistakes than older players. Having both Coffey and Curry playing this year would have been a big deal. Obviously clutch free throw shooting was a a problem in the last few games. All he said was true. What were you expecting him to say?

Fact is we are a young team and younger players are more prone to make mistakes than older players. Having both Coffey and Curry playing this year would have been a big deal. Obviously clutch free throw shooting was a a problem in the last few games. All he said was true. What were you expecting him to say?
Every team has injuries and many have players leave early. Coaches should never use either as an excuse.

Pathetic and gutless........Making excuses again about youth and Coffey leaving, Curry hurt.....Blaming free throws.....Taking no blame for his lack of coaching execution.....7 years in and he is still a joke.
Hearing what you want to hear and not telling the whole story.

-He doesn't feel that his job is in jeopardy.
-Says he coaches the same way whether 8 wins or 25.
-No one cares about us as individuals when it comes to any excuses, only care about wins
-Defensive breakdowns are usually more than one player issues
-Free throws everyone knows it's on the player, including the player
-Really likes the team
-People would feel better if they knew if Oturo was coming back next year

7 years in and he has zero impact seniors...Every major program has players leave early and suffer tough injuries......How bout take some personal responsibility on how he has failed in these late game collapses?...How bout admitting that 47-81 is certainly not good enough and he should be criticized...He basically just said on the radio he was surprised by all the criticism?...Its laughable.

Hearing what you want to hear and not telling the whole story.

-He doesn't feel that his job is in jeopardy.
-Says he coaches the same way whether 8 wins or 25.
-No one cares about us as individuals when it comes to any excuses, only care about wins
-Defensive breakdowns are usually more than one player issues
-Free throws everyone knows it's on the player, including the player
-Really likes the team
-People would feel better if they knew if Oturo was coming back next year
TONE DEAF describes your first bullet point

"We?"

Second, were they a "young" team last year? They finished under .500 in the B1G. Many of the same issues.

What's the one constant? The coach.

Christ, move on already. He has no birthright to the Gopher coaching job.

7 years in and he has zero impact seniors...Every major program has players leave early and suffer tough injuries......How bout take some personal responsibility on how he has failed in these late game collapses?...How bout admitting that 47-81 is certainly not good enough and he should be criticized...He basically just said on the radio he was surprised by all the criticism?...Its laughable.

Tough to have a 7th year senior.

Mason was impactful
Murphy was impactful
Coffee left early
Oturo will leave early
Carr should be
McBrayer was impactful

That's 6 guys over three years. Probably not far off the national average

We are probably going to have a new coach. Why do you feel the need to pile on? I don't mind people having the opinion he should be fired. Your attitude is lousy.

You can tell he's knows he's fighting for his job. But, I agree with you all pretty much. No more excuses! Every team deals with drama, injuries, players leaving early. Michigan State seems to have injuries every year and consistently reach the FF. Not comparing Pitino to Izzo, but...

GopherGangsta is the gutless one here. His screen name couldn't be more of an oxymoron. The biggest coward on this board. You literally are the Philip Nelson of the basketball board: big tough guy who comes in and kicks a guy when he is down - but didn't have the balls to say shit during a single win this season.

We all know the score on the season, but only a select few nutless wonders feel the need to take personal shots at the coach. Try some talk therapy, "Gangsta". Maybe after some breakthroughs you won't need to be such a miserable c--t belaboring the same point over and over to try and gain others' validation.

The fact is Carr, Oturu, Willis and Kalscheur have played a whole lot of basketball at the D1 level. Demir is a grad transfer who has played a ton. The young team talk is an excuse.

They problem is lack of depth not the its a young team narrative.

You can tell he's knows he's fighting for his job. But, I agree with you all pretty much. No more excuses! Every team deals with drama, injuries, players leaving early. Michigan State seems to have injuries every year and consistently reach the FF. Not comparing Pitino to Izzo, but...
It helps to have 13 4 and 5 stars on the squad....when someone gets injured the back up plan is pretty darn good. Here the coach, whoever he is at the time is always a year away from being on the hot seat and recruiting and playing under pressure. That's a different world.

GopherGangsta is the gutless one here. His screen name couldn't be more of an oxymoron. The biggest coward on this board. You literally are the Philip Nelson of the basketball board: big tough guy who comes in and kicks a guy when he is down - but didn't have the balls to say shit during a single win this season.

We all know the score on the season, but only a select few nutless wonders feel the need to take personal shots at the coach. Try some talk therapy, "Gangsta". Maybe after some breakthroughs you won't need to be such a miserable c--t belaboring the same point over and over to try and gain others' validation.
LOL....The fact that u got so angry over a post on the internet, maybe you need some "talk therapy". whatever the hell that is......Thanks but i do not need your validation.

I thought last year was going to be the real breakthrough after we won in Madison. Rich put together a masterful game plan. Was hoping to see more of this...

LOL....The fact that u got so angry over a post on the internet, maybe you need some "talk therapy". whatever the hell that is......Thanks but i do not need your validation.

You don't know what "talk therapy" is? Are you new to the world or just a total neanderthal?

And yes, you are all about validation. People who come to a message board literally to say "I told you so" over and over are THE definition of needing validation.

"We?"

Second, were they a "young" team last year? They finished under .500 in the B1G. Many of the same issues.

What's the one constant? The coach.

Christ, move on already. He has no birthright to the Gopher coaching job.
Last 40 years, pretty much the same results, four different coaches. Perhaps the one constant is not the coach, just saying.

You don't know what "talk therapy" is? Are you new to the world or just a total neanderthal?

And yes, you are all about validation. People who come to a message board literally to say "I told you so" over and over are THE definition of needing validation.
talk therapy is completely generic....There are a lot of professionals someone could talk to about their problems....A three-hundred dollar an hour shrink down to a high-school guidance counselor...Be more specific......Pointing out someone has been wrong all along needs no validation...It's an attempt to wake said person up from their case of blind denial.

talk therapy is completely generic....There are a lot of professionals someone could talk to about their problems....A three-hundred dollar an hour shrink down to a high-school guidance counselor...Be more specific......Pointing out someone has been wrong all along needs no validation...It's an attempt to wake said person up from their case of blind denial.
i am not sure a $300/hr shrink would be good enough. Better shoot for at least a $500/hr one with a proven winning record. Fire the current one for lack of results.

A. Talk therapy is therapy done through talking and delving into one's internal strife and repressed memories instead of taking psychiatric meds. I assume you're out of high school, so a guidance counselor is probably not a good fit.

B. I don't think anyone is in blind denial here. Most people just don't feel the need to take a shit on Pitino when we have already said we aren't satisfied. This whole post is just piling on the crap that you spew in nearly every game thread after a loss. We get it, dude. We all understand your whole existence on this board is to tell people who weren't ready to give up on Pitino in November how stupid they are and how smart you are. Starting a thread like this one today just makes you look like you have no class and quite literally are capable of no other discourse on this board. Most of probably feel like Pitino is a dead man walking at this point. Does you calling him "gutless" and "pathetic" make you stronger in the chest?

A. Talk therapy is therapy done through talking and delving into one's internal strife and repressed memories instead of taking psychiatric meds. I assume you're out of high school, so a guidance counselor is probably not a good fit.

B. I don't think anyone is in blind denial here. Most people just don't feel the need to take a shit on Pitino when we have already said we aren't satisfied. This whole post is just piling on the crap that you spew in nearly every game thread after a loss. We get it, dude. We all understand your whole existence on this board is to tell people who weren't ready to give up on Pitino in November how stupid they are and how smart you are. Starting a thread like this one today just makes you look like you have no class and quite literally are capable of no other discourse on this board. Most of probably feel like Pitino is a dead man walking at this point. Does you calling him "gutless" and "pathetic" make you stronger in the chest?
83 of the 254 people that voted in the "fire or not" coach poll think he should be back....That is denial.
When u deflect and make excuses for your own shortcomings, that is gutless.

Pitino always gives a good interview and I usually walk away feeling better about how we've been doing. This week was different. He just hasn't won enough for the length of his time here. He's very aware most of the time but he's downplaying what expectations at Minnesota should be. I don't understand why expectations shouldn't be high here. Only D1 school in the state, brand new athletic village, and money to pay a coach. The past doesn't prove anything besides other coaches that aren't that great that we've hired. Dan Monson at Long Beach St. has been mediocre at best nowadays. Tubby at High Point now in digression. Did about the same as here at Texas Tech, struggled at Memphis. It's more about the coach than the program.

It's about getting the right coach. Butler and VCU were both in final fours and I wouldn't call those destination jobs. Maybe those are anomalies but you should be confident as an AD and program to set the bar high, especially at a Big 10 school like Minnesota. It's all about hiring the right guy. Coyle has done that and deserves another opportunity now to make that basketball hire.

83 of the 254 people that voted in the "fire or not" coach poll think he should be back....That is denial.
When u deflect and make excuses for your own shortcomings, that is gutless.

So if that vote had been 254 out of 254 you wouldn't have felt the need to start this thread? Consider me skeptical.

Pitino has probably been one of the most honest and transparent coaches we have had in the Twin Cities in my lifetime. I don't really think there is anything gutless about him. Now Mike Zimmer on the other hand...

So if that vote had been 254 out of 254 you wouldn't have felt the need to start this thread? Consider me skeptical.

Pitino has probably been one of the most honest and transparent coaches we have had in the Twin Cities in my lifetime. I don't really think there is anything gutless about him. Now Mike Zimmer on the other hand...
read the above post

I agree with you for the most part as far as his honesty. This year he is REALLY playing the young card and sort of this continuous "We didn't see this guy getting hurt, suspended, going to the draft, etc." I see what he's trying to do but I just can't go that far with him here. You've gotta have guys step up and we haven't seen them. I just feel like we continue to go down this hypothetical path. At some point you just own it and realize it hasn't been good enough.

Pitino always gives a good interview and I usually walk away feeling better about how we've been doing. This week was different. He just hasn't won enough for the length of his time here. He's very aware most of the time but he's downplaying what expectations at Minnesota should be. I don't understand why expectations shouldn't be high here. Only D1 school in the state, brand new athletic village, and money to pay a coach. The past doesn't prove anything besides other coaches that aren't that great that we've hired. Dan Monson at Long Beach St. has been mediocre at best nowadays. Tubby at High Point now in digression. Did about the same as here at Texas Tech, struggled at Memphis. It's more about the coach than the program.

It's about getting the right coach. Butler and VCU were both in final fours and I wouldn't call those destination jobs. Maybe those are anomalies but you should be confident as an AD and program to set the bar high, especially at a Big 10 school like Minnesota. It's all about hiring the right guy. Coyle has done that and deserves another opportunity now to make that basketball hire.

Not arguing for Pitino, but just countering your examples a bit...

George Mason also made a Final Four too. Does that mean it's a better basketball program than Minnesota? No, It just means they caught lightning in a bottle - which is what I'd argue as well for VCU that year.

Butler did it two years in a row, but they also had a HUGE unicorn named Gordon Hayward. If he wasn't such a small town Indiana guy, he would have crushed it for a blue blood. There just aren't very many kids who have that same interest in staying home these days.

Not arguing for Pitino, but just countering your examples a bit...

George Mason also made a Final Four too. Does that mean it's a better basketball program than Minnesota? No, It just means they caught lightning in a bottle - which is what I'd argue as well for VCU that year.

Butler did it two years in a row, but they also had a HUGE unicorn named Gordon Hayward. If he wasn't such a small town Indiana guy, he would have crushed it for a blue blood. There just aren't very many kids who have that same interest in staying home these days.
Fair enough and I'm with you on those points.

I just find it hard to believe that the thinking exists that Minnesota can't be a tournament team every year, and do some damage when we get there. I'm not talking a final four team year-in and year-out, I'm just talking contending for a sweet 16 on a yearly basis. That doesn't mean getting to the sweet 16 every year but always being in contention. Why can't Minnesota be that school with our resources?

I say we can, and it's all about getting that coach in place. I know this isn't that easy, but with the right AD which I believe we have, he/she can bring that coach in. There are always coaches on the up and coming in college basketball and I feel as though there are a few names out there this year we can bring one in. If the next coach fails, you repeat the process until you get that coach. Let's not settle because we're "Minnesota."

Gathering from some of Darren Wolfson's comments on twitter that he feels Pitino will be back. Not interested in this becoming a bash of Darren, but I wonder if Pitino knows he's safe. If Coyle has made a decision to have him back, I'm wondering why he doesn't come out and say it. It would settle everyone down and allow Pitino and the players to just relax. I still think it's 50/50, but arguments can be made each way. I find myself arguing both sides.

Top Bottom