anybody else watch the Pitt - U Conn game tonight?

Donovan

Reaction score
I don't think there were 20,000 fans at this game. The entire top deck was empty and the lower bowl was half-full at best. A nationally broadcast game against a division rival, and that's the support they get? I was amazed.

I don't think there were 20,000 fans at this game. The entire top deck was empty and the lower bowl was half-full at best. A nationally broadcast game against a division rival, and that's the support they get? I was amazed.

I don't know that Gophers fans should toss any stones. Remember the OSU game in primetime last season?

I don't know that Gophers fans should toss any stones. Remember the OSU game in primetime last season?

yes, and i was there. and there were FAR more than 20,000 gopher fans at that game. in fact the stadium was pretty full. i get the OP's point he was making about the pitt-uconn game. not sure i am following you though. the two are not at all comparable and the crowd sizes that were at each game are not comparable.

yes, and i was there. and there were FAR more than 20,000 gopher fans at that game. in fact the stadium was pretty full. i get the OP's point he was making about the pitt-uconn game. not sure i am following you though. the two are not at all comparable and the crowd sizes that were at each game are not comparable.

Those fans didn't make it very long. Blowout or not, anyone who didn't catch the first part of the game saw an EMPTY stadium. All I'm saying is that while our fanbase may be stronger than a Big East team, it's not saying much.

Also, it probably didn't help that the UConn-Pitt game was on a Wednesday, and you could argue both schools are much more oriented to basketball. With that being said, with how the whole realignment scene is going right now, the Big East can look forward to many more of these types of games if they want to continue being shown on ESPN. I assume they would be if they want to be (somewhat) nationally relevant. Ask the Mountain West how nice it is to not be on ESPN...

I had the same thought watching the Pitt-UConn game, and I had it again last night watching Miami-Virginia. The announced attendance at Pitt was 40,219; it was 40,403 in Miami. But both stadiums (stadia?) looked empty. Just one of the drawbacks of playing in an NFL stadium that needs to accommodate 70,000 or more.

Top Bottom