Any word on whether or not they will be placing brick, etc. on the lower field wall?

Reaction score
and if not now would a brick facing be something they would add in the near future? or perhaps some hedges?!? ;)

anyone?!?

I remember this being answered a while back, and if I remember correctly, it will be concrete to start but can easily be changed to a brick facade should the money and desire come up. They left it out for cost reasons originally.

I remember this being answered a while back, and if I remember correctly, it will be concrete to start but can easily be changed to a brick facade should the money and desire come up. They left it out for cost reasons originally.

Correct. I asked this question on my tour and was told that they built the walls in such a way where brick could be added in the future and look seamless rather than slapped on.

i have a solution....

me and a few buddies will install the brick for a small fee if that means it gets done quicker. anyone else from gopherhole is also welcome to join us! ;)

You wouldn't think it would cost THAT much more to put brick on that field level wall. It sure would look much better than ugly raw concrete. With the attention to detail so obvious in many other parts of the stadium, it is a little strange that this was not done.

I thought I read somewhere taht the amount of light colored surface materials (off whites and grays) is part of the attempt to gain LEED certification. The 'heat island' mitigation concept?

I thought I read somewhere taht the amount of light colored surface materials (off whites and grays) is part of the attempt to gain LEED certification. The 'heat island' mitigation concept?

if true, that sounds like the dumbest criteria to try and achieve in the f-ing world! :eek:

i would say screw the LEED certification and put on some brick!

You wouldn't think it would cost THAT much more to put brick on that field level wall. It sure would look much better than ugly raw concrete. With the attention to detail so obvious in many other parts of the stadium, it is a little strange that this was not done.

All that little stuff that doesn't cost THAT much more adds up quick. The attention to detail thing is kind of silly since its not like this detail slipped by them. The project already cost over 40 million more then originally approved and a line was drawn. I wish it was there too, but since it isn't something that improves the fan experience or really helps with recruiting I'm fine that they didn't include it (especially since it will be easy to add going forward if the money is there).

You think we can another $50k from T. Denny Sanford?

Not the walls

heat island effect doesn't refer to walls, only horizontal surfaces. i'm sure this is a cost issue only.

Put up some banners

I hope the U will cover the concreate walls with some maroon & gold banners detailing our past football history or even just with "M" logos. Anything other than just grey concreate walls around the stadium. Why couldn't the U do the donate a brick program to cover the walls with brick?

1) No brick on the interior wall
2) The M is too small on the back of the scoreboard
3) The M is crooked in the stands...what about those flyovers on non-game days
4) Someone saw the big scoreboard lit up with a lot of ads
5) No band marching down University

Let's start a petition....Metrodome or bust.

1. is going to be fixed eventually
2. really needs to be corrected. It looks too damn small
3. is going to be fixed before the season
4. sucks, but I knew that was coming
5. is ridiculous. the U promoted the stadium with the tradition of the band marching down Univ. Ave. and then they back off. They need to bring that back.

glad we have a new stadium, but I still have the right to criticize the things they did wrong. Especially the students who are paying skyrocketing student fees to pay for the stadium.

If these are the "major" things they did wrong then I say "great job on the stadium!". Even with unlimited dollars this would not be perfect and not everyone would be satisfied. The issues noted above are VERY minor considering what the final product looks like and the dump we use to call home. I'm sure there are quite a few gray hairs who preferred the 72 degrees and gray days in the dome but I'm not one of them (although I do have a few gray hairs). Bottom line is the U did a spectacular job building a beautiful stadium with the budget they were given (and even added $40 million to make it that much better). Give credit where credit is due.

1. is going to be fixed eventually
2. really needs to be corrected. It looks too damn small
3. is going to be fixed before the season
4. sucks, but I knew that was coming
5. is ridiculous. the U promoted the stadium with the tradition of the band marching down Univ. Ave. and then they back off. They need to bring that back.

glad we have a new stadium, but I still have the right to criticize the things they did wrong. Especially the students who are paying skyrocketing student fees to pay for the stadium.

2) Too damn small? Really? I mean, I can see where people want it bigger but the M is anything but too damn small. It is still HUGE. Period.

5) Take it up with the City. The City said no. If you want to be pissy at the U, get mad that they didn't try to march the band through campus once Univ Ave was no longer an option. If you're going to get upset with the U at least make sure its about something they had control over.

The M on the scoreboard looks just fine....in saying that...when I drove by the scoreboard the other day I thought in addition to the M on the back of the scoreboard it would be a perfect place to put NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (above the M) with the years on each side.

Especially the students who are paying skyrocketing student fees to pay for the stadium.

You're a student sitting in section 140? I thought the student fee was a fixed cost.

when I drove by the scoreboard the other day I thought in addition to the M on the back of the scoreboard it would be a perfect place to put NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (above the M) with the years on each side.

Excellent Idea!!!!!!!

all students at the U have to pay an additional student fee (in addition to their normal student fees) to pay for the stadium.

$50 bucks a semester extra in student fees, if I am not mistaken. I'd hardly call that "skyrocketing."

The upper deck facing in the student section is also bare concrete...

$50 bucks a semester extra in student fees, if I am not mistaken. I'd hardly call that "skyrocketing."
$50 a year. $25 a semester.

The M on the back of the scoreboard IS huge. It doesn't need to be bigger. Bigger would look stupid. See it in person first. It definitely changed my initial opinion.

Concrete walls don't look that bad, though I'm glad it will eventually be brick. Definitely not nearly as bad as the 10 foot high concrete walls at Spartan Stadium.

No doubt. I've been more than happy to pay $50 per semester (I didn't even know how much it was). Especially, when my tuition alone is $17,000+ per year.

The cost of education is increasing, but student service fees are not skyrocketing.

Top Bottom