Any updates on Rodney?

I'm not a huge Rodney fan, but it is hard to argue that the team is not better with him on the floor. Looking at the last few games:

Loss to Illinois and Rodney did not play.
Win vs. Badgers Rodney logs big minutes
Loss to Iowa--Rodney left game with about 5 minutes left in the first half and we had a 2 or 4 point lead.

These were games that I thought the Gophers had at least a 50% chance of winning, if not more
Not saying that this was solely based on Rodney, and that if Rodney had been healthy for the Iowa or Illinois games that we would have won, but we are definitely a better team with the guys we have with him on the floor.

While Rodney is not everything we had hoped for, he is a darn good college basketball player. I get the feeling that a lot of the opinions of this thread are formed by watching Rodney play a couple games a year and reading other posts about Rodney on a forum like this. To think Rodney won't be missed in a game is crazy.. its frustrating to even reply to these threads. This has nothing to do with whether the team is underachieving (yes), it has to do with reality. This team is better, much better, with Rodney on the floor. I think its been pointed out that when all starters, including Rodney, get 30 minutes in a game the team is 4-0 and basically, the more the starters play, the better the team.. this includes Rodney.

+1

I know folks are down on Rodney, but we still need him big-time. To think otherwise is foolish. We need him as healthy as possible. This suggestion may not go over well, but here's what I'm thinkin':

The Gophers #1 objective right now is to just get in the tournament. The best way to assure you make the tournament is to win at least 2 or 3 more basketball games. That's all they have to do. The Gophers' resume is plenty strong enough that it doesn't matter where those 2-3 wins come from. Just get in and you have a chance. I know people don't want to hear this right now because of our current struggles, but the goal has simply become be one of the 68. That being the case. ...

The Gophers have little and no chance of beating OSU (little) or Indiana (no). If Rodney is nowhere near 100%, sit him for these next two games. That would give him 13 days off from game action (Iowa to Penn State). Get him as ready as possible for the 3 most winnable games on our schedule, the last 3 (PSU, Nebraska, Purdue). If we get our a**es kicked by OSU and IU, so be it. The Gophers need to gear their efforts toward winning at least 2 of those final 3 games.

+1

rodney

I think most of us just get fustrated that someone can play 4 years of college basketball and not understand moving without the ball and moving your feet on defense and not relying on tremendous leaping ability to bail you out. Rodney is an asset to the team. I just wish commentators would stop talking about his leaping ability as its probably gotten into his head and stopped him from learning and working to become an all conference type player. How a player who was called a future NBA shooting guard, cannot develop a half decent outside shot is also fustrating. We really needed him to learn perimeter skills.

ON the positive side, I for one think Rodney would have the best shot at holding Thomas to 20. Who guards him now, Trevor, Otto, Coleman? He will get 30.

While Rodney is not everything we had hoped for, he is a darn good college basketball player. I get the feeling that a lot of the opinions of this thread are formed by watching Rodney play a couple games a year and reading other posts about Rodney on a forum like this. To think Rodney won't be missed in a game is crazy.. its frustrating to even reply to these threads. This has nothing to do with whether the team is underachieving (yes), it has to do with reality. This team is better, much better, with Rodney on the floor. I think its been pointed out that when all starters, including Rodney, get 30 minutes in a game the team is 4-0 and basically, the more the starters play, the better the team.. this includes Rodney.

I guess I'm not watching the same Rodney as you are. Have you ever played beyond driveway basketball?

You are probably right, I'm sure the Gophers will be better with Oto playing more minutes now that Rodney is out. Oto is just as much of a threat rolling to the basket on a pick and roll as Rodney is. Oto will have no problem playing post defense against the opposing teams PF. Oto will effect just as many jump shots with his equally long arms.

How can you discount leadership? You have no idea what influence he has in the locker room or on the court with the younger guys. That is especially important on the road.

I can't believe people in here actually think Tubby doesn't understand basketball or see these guys everyday in practice. You think all the "experts" that have him as a 2nd round pick are crazy too?

P.S. I was pretty dominant in the driveway.

I know folks are down on Rodney, but we still need him big-time. To think otherwise is foolish. We need him as healthy as possible. This suggestion may not go over well, but here's what I'm thinkin':

The Gophers #1 objective right now is to just get in the tournament. The best way to assure you make the tournament is to win at least 2 or 3 more basketball games. That's all they have to do. The Gophers' resume is plenty strong enough that it doesn't matter where those 2-3 wins come from. Just get in and you have a chance. I know people don't want to hear this right now because of our current struggles, but the goal has simply become be one of the 68. That being the case. ...

The Gophers have little and no chance of beating OSU (little) or Indiana (no). If Rodney is nowhere near 100%, sit him for these next two games. That would give him 13 days off from game action (Iowa to Penn State). Get him as ready as possible for the 3 most winnable games on our schedule, the last 3 (PSU, Nebraska, Purdue). If we get our a**es kicked by OSU and IU, so be it. The Gophers need to gear their efforts toward winning at least 2 of those final 3 games.

Sadly, I agree with this. Plus, healthy minutes from EE and Mo are better than 50% minutes from Rodney.

Can we zone the Buckeyes?
That is something I thought about too. I think it can be effective against Ohio State for periods of time, but thy do have a couple guys who can shoot the ball pretty well when they get hot from the outside and that does worry me a little bit.

On a positive note...at least Jerry Kill isn't the basketball coach or Charles Buggs might have his redshirt pulled tonight...:rolleyes:

On a positive note...at least Jerry Kill isn't the basketball coach or Charles Buggs might have his redshirt pulled tonight...:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, did you type 'positive note?' It might be good to pull a redshirt to salvage a season. That way there will be something else to blather about besides circling the drain of the season.

I'm sorry, did you type 'positive note?' It might be good to pull a redshirt to salvage a season. That way there will be something else to blather about besides circling the drain of the season.

I think it'd be very selfish of Tubby and a disservice to Charles to pull the red shirt just to potentially save his job.

I think it'd be very selfish of Tubby and a disservice to Charles to pull the red shirt just to potentially save his job.

Well, we can argue about that IF it happens.

this doesn't quite add up.
did he go back to the locker room in that first half?
why didn't he come out of the locker at half in stree clothes?
why the silence?

i knew it didn't add up.
he was in the dog house.
team is in a free fall. SR leaders have checked out.. looking to NBA or overseas.. counting down the days now.

Update on Rodney

The shoulder is improving...the attitude isn't

Update on Rodney:

He wasn't present for tonight's game against OSU. Maybe we will see him against Indiana.

will rodney's career come to an end in the fashion of RS3? a phantom injury?

Update on Rodney:

Last report was that he is still alive and breathing on his own.

Top Bottom