Any thoughts on who the 2010 Captains will be?

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Weber will likely be a captain again but other than that???

Edwards or Kirksey seem to have good qualities. How about Ryan Collado, a guy who plays hard and has improved a lot? Burris maybe? Rallis? Theret may have shot any chance he had.

Thoughts?

Early best guesses:

Weber (this one is guaranteed)
Carufel
Bennett
Royston?

Tinsley and Theret would've been great captain material until they decided to be idiots. The rest of the defense is all underclassmen, so unless someone like Carter is elected, they may roll with less and have only 3-4 captains.

Tinsley and Maresh can be the Party Captains! Just like on The Office.

Can't argue with any of your choices. Hopefully Royston will be on the field this fall, and not on the sideline wearing street clothes. Kind of a no-brainer to make the senior QB a captain. Of course, then it looks bad(der) if Brewster winds up having to bench him. One thing that's notable by omission: None of our running backs are a lock to be captain. Sad that four years into Brewster's tenure he hasn't recruited or developed a RB who's "the man".

FTR, Collado would be a good choice. While he may not be the most gifted athlete on the field, noone can question his determination, or his ability to make the most of his skills. And he has improved every year. Wish that could be said about some of the other captain candidates.

Keep it to just two.

Defense, chose the guy who everyone on the team fears. The guy who will bang your helmet if you fail at your position. Not afraid to get in your face, and the first one to congraulate you on a job well done.

My choice: Jewan Edwards

On offense the guy who makes the plays, finish the drive, makes the first down. The guy who leads by example. Wants the ball in crunch time and delivers. A guy who demands all others play big boy football.

Its not a reach.

My choice. Jon Hoese

Just from what I've read here, Rallis. The coaches have talked him up, but he hasn't participated in all of the Spring practices IIRC. I'm not sure how much that matters though.

Keep it to just two.

Defense, chose the guy who everyone on the team fears. The guy who will bang your helmet if you fail at your position. Not afraid to get in your face, and the first one to congraulate you on a job well done.
My choice: Jewan Edwards

On offense the guy who makes the plays, finish the drive, makes the first down. The guy who leads by example. Wants the ball in crunch time and delivers. A guy who demands all others play big boy football.

Its not a reach.

My choice. Jon Hoese

On defense, I was thinking Kirksey as well. I could also see Collado.

On offense Hoese ( I assume) would be a good choice.Weber Burris and Alford should be considered depending on how many captains they select.

Good question posed earlier on who selects the captains...my guess is players vote and ultimately the coaches decide after the votes are in with how many there will be? I look forward to the day when there is one defensive captain and one offensive captain..having 4+ captains waters down the role in my perspective.

Weber- offense
Royston- defense (assuming he will be on the field this fall)

I think Weber and Kirksey are locks; Royston and Alford would be good choices as well.

Do the players vote? Coaches choose? Combination of both?

The players vote. Brewster likes 4 captain: 2 on O and 2 on D. In 09 Decker and Weber captained the O. Lawrence, Campbell, Brown & Small on D. The vote was so close the coaches decided to name 4 from the D.

CAPTAIN OR CAPTAINS SHOULD BE CHOSEN BY A VOTE OF THE PLAYERS, NOT THE COACH. ONE FOR OFF. ONE FOR DEF. ONE SPEC. TEAMS.

I can see the players voting for Weber & either Hoese or Alford on offense. Kirksey & Collado on defense.

The players vote. Brewster likes 4 captain: 2 on O and 2 on D. In 09 Decker and Weber captained the O. Lawrence, Campbell, Brown & Small on D. The vote was so close the coaches decided to name 4 from the D.

I was wondering why we had so many last year. Thanks for the answer Bayfield. This team needs to make a serious step up in its on-field execution and step down in its off-field escapades. One piece of the puzzle is team leadership.

CAPTAIN OR CAPTAINS SHOULD BE CHOSEN BY A VOTE OF THE PLAYERS, NOT THE COACH. ONE FOR OFF. ONE FOR DEF. ONE SPEC. TEAMS.

Really should be a group process with players having a vote, but coaches also have the ability to override. Some kids are popular, but are terrible leaders role models for the team/university.

Weber should be a lock on offense.

Sounds like Edwards/Kirksey might get one for defense. I'd think that who ever they have as a lock for the o-line will win the other one for offense.

Top Bottom