Any publicity is good publicity?

ChicagoGopher

Reaction score
Was at Lifetime working out this morning when I see TCF Bank stadium flash on the screen of Good Morning America. Had headphones on so I couldn't hear the story but then saw the subtitles and found out it was an "Investigative Report" about the deal between TCF and the U. Oh well, at least the stadium was shown up on the screen. Does this fall into the category of any publicity is good publicity?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/bank-pays-34-bounty-college-customers/story?id=20159803

This is dumb. There are banks or Credit Unions on almost every large college campus in the nation. It is pretty much no different from Bank XYZ offering Joe Schmo a toaster to open up a checking account at their random bank.

This is dumb. There are banks or Credit Unions on almost every large college campus in the nation. It is pretty much no different from Bank XYZ offering Joe Schmo a toaster to open up a checking account at their random bank.

No kidding, they even sounded "Shocked, Shocked I tell you" to find out that banks are still charging overdraft fees, and thirty-five dollars at that!

Even worse while the video mentioned TCF Stadium it didn't mention that it was the millions donated for stadium rights that got TCF the "exclusive" deal in the first place. Wonder how many of those other 800+ schools got that?

Did like Rachel Roberts summary though. To paraphrase "parents, it helps to shop around for the best deal"

Quite true, but not as juicy a story. :rolleyes:

I found this comical. The vast majority of college students are adults, and have to be responsible for their own spending. I don't find anything scandalous about college students being subject to overdraft fees.

Personally, I only had a savings account when I was in college, so everything I spent money on, I paid cash. I was always the brokest guy in the dorm, but I never had to pay an overdraft fee. I suppose some people won't consider that a realistic solution, but it worked for me.

I signed up for TCF last year for the free convenient ATM and a sweatshirt. I don't think people realize you can set up the account so your card gets rejected if you try to over-draw. All you have to do is choose not to check the box that allows you to overdraw with a $35 fee. People just need to read what boxes they are initialing as they fill out these sheets. So if you have kids at the U, consider recommending that they do the same.

They are 18. Can we please let them accept responsibility for something?

^ Nice! Don't spend more than what you have in your account and then there is no problem.

I've never considered "no fees" to mean you would have free overdraft protection, even when I was in college. I had a TCF account when I was a student, I wanted the free sweatshirt lol. But seriously, I never had a problem with fees, cause I didn't spend money that I didn't have, something these kids should probably learn anyway. I actually don't know a bank that doesn't charge for overdraft fees unless you sign up for protection, but maybe credit unions do or something.

I'm genuinely surprised that they took 2 minutes of their time to report this "story". Unless I'm completely missing something?

I signed up for TCF last year for the free convenient ATM and a sweatshirt. I don't think people realize you can set up the account so your card gets rejected if you try to over-draw. All you have to do is choose not to check the box that allows you to overdraw with a $35 fee. People just need to read what boxes they are initialing as they fill out these sheets. So if you have kids at the U, consider recommending that they do the same.

Why anyone would have a debit card that allows overdraft is beyond me.

I saw the story this morning when it aired and I literally had to rewind it on the DVR to laugh at it again.

Why is the fact that TCF Bank has a contract with the University newsworthy? Universities have contracts for everything...food service contracts, beverage contracts, construction contracts and on and on...

Why should we be appalled that these kids learn about the real world at age 18 instead of age 22? I had my U Card merged with a TCF account when I started school in the fall of 2000.

I managed to get through college without an overdraft fee or any unsatisfying bank charges. After sophomore year, I wasn't satisfied with TCF so I closed my account ALL BY MYSELF and opened one at Wells Fargo. If you can get into a school like Minnesota, you should be smart enough to manage your finances.

I did enjoy how they called our campus "bucolic" though! Nothing says bucolic like a giant skyline protruding on the horizon.

Holy crap. Stop the planet, I want off.

The biggest problem with the relationship between the U and TCF isn't how much TCF is currently paying the U. It's how they were able to get the naming rights so damn cheap.

I was just told a local news channel in Duluth is showing something (as we speak) about the relationship between TCF and the University of Minnesota system.

The biggest problem with the relationship between the U and TCF isn't how much TCF is currently paying the U. It's how they were able to get the naming rights so damn cheap.

+19

I wish the abc segment would discuss how much some universities are getting from banks without naming rights. Then we would really see how little the U is getting for naming rights.

I saw the story. I can't remember the specific number, but it indicated that the average college student had six or seven overdrafts each year. If that's true, yikes.
Most of us are self destructive. Kids are worse. I guess I can add this talk to the list of things I have to discuss with my brood. Maybe 50% will listen.

wow

I hope they aren't majoring in accounting.

Top Bottom