Any idea what is the salary for a MN HS FB Coach?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
I have an acquaintance with a suburban high school football coach. During a conversation I asked him if he would ever be interested coaching at the collegiate level. He laughed it off and said he wouldn't want to take a pay cut.
I know that a high school coach typically has to pay their dues at a smaller college, network, and move their way up the ranks. I know that Mike Grant's name was tossed around for the Gopher job at one point, but I don't ever remember a high school coach in Minnesota ever getting an assistant job with the Gophers.
What does a suburban high school coach make in Minnesota? I'm sure it depends on the school and the tradition. Anyone know what the salary is for a school like Eden Prairie or Wayzata? Or, how about a step down? Maybe Rosemount or Edina.
Then, another step down to a place like Henry Sibley or Richfield. Finally, what about a school like Worthington or Fergus Falls?
I've heard the stories about the Texas high school coaches making six figures. I'd be surprised if anyone locally makes anything close to that. If they do, it's no wonder they wouldn't want to coach at the U of M! :)

That is probably due to their combined Salary from teaching with their extra-curricular salaries added on to it.

In SE MN, most head coaches' salaries (just for coaching) are going to be in the neighborhood of an extra $3,000-$4,800 depending on school size. Keep in mind that is on top of the teaching contract.

Grant's salary at Eden Prairie was (just for football now) $6,405.00 for 2010-11. But add that to his teaching contract (let's just say he has his Master's...........I don't know for sure what Coach Grant has), they were at $72,030 last year. So, he'd be making around $78K. I used the Master's just as an average only as I'm sure he has his Master's + credits but again, do not know.

Check this site out (for Eden Prairie School District Contract http://www3.edenpr.org/public/docum...en_prairie_education_association_contract.pdf).

You can do that for some of the other schools that you wanted to check out or I can try and find out for you if you give me some time.

Here are the top Texas HS Football Coaches' salaries for comparison (data is 2005 and lists 4A and 5A coaches):
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/coaching_salaries.pdf
Top was (in 2005), Sam Harrell of Ennis pulling in $106K / year. Sam no longer coaches there and yes, he is the father of Graham Harrell - former TT QB

Hope this helps.

Buck

Pressure

I think the pressure of being a head coach in Texas quite intense. I don't think there is anything that compares to it in MN.

I have an acquaintance with a suburban high school football coach. During a conversation I asked him if he would ever be interested coaching at the collegiate level. He laughed it off and said he wouldn't want to take a pay cut.
I know that a high school coach typically has to pay their dues at a smaller college, network, and move their way up the ranks. I know that Mike Grant's name was tossed around for the Gopher job at one point, but I don't ever remember a high school coach in Minnesota ever getting an assistant job with the Gophers.
What does a suburban high school coach make in Minnesota? I'm sure it depends on the school and the tradition. Anyone know what the salary is for a school like Eden Prairie or Wayzata? Or, how about a step down? Maybe Rosemount or Edina.
Then, another step down to a place like Henry Sibley or Richfield. Finally, what about a school like Worthington or Fergus Falls?
I've heard the stories about the Texas high school coaches making six figures. I'd be surprised if anyone locally makes anything close to that. If they do, it's no wonder they wouldn't want to coach at the U of M! :)

My high school coach was an assistant at the U after he retired for a number of years. High school coaches don't make alot, it is basically volunteer work, most of them are teachers and that is where their salary comes from.

High School coaches do not make much at all; but one of the previous posters was right about it being just a supplement to their income from their other job usually teaching.

DIII HC and Assts and DII Assts do not make much money. It is a tough road to go to support a family on what those college coaches make. I have to imagine that JUCO coaches do not make much money at all unless they are at some of the premier JUCO programs and then it is probably just the HC that makes decent money for coaching.

Grant is also the AD at Eden Prairie I believe, which would be an administrative position that might pay more.

When he was at Forest Lake, he took a leave for about three years to be an assistant at St. Johns (his first year back was my junior year). He came back to teaching because he couldn't really make much of a living as a D3 assistant (and his wife was pregnant with Ryan at the time). He also coached boys tennis, which would have been another supplement.

Grant is also the AD at Eden Prairie I believe, which would be an administrative position that might pay more.

When he was at Forest Lake, he took a leave for about three years to be an assistant at St. Johns (his first year back was my junior year). He came back to teaching because he couldn't really make much of a living as a D3 assistant (and his wife was pregnant with Ryan at the time). He also coached boys tennis, which would have been another supplement.

You are correct disco. I forgot about the AD gig. So, with that bit of info., we can safely assume 6 figures (Gross) with that large of a school district.

Top Bottom