Annexstad on transferring: "Just looking for the right spot. That right offense, right fit, right coaches, right culture"

Almost sounded as if he was told it was time to move on wit Morgan coming back. Pure speculation on my part. Comments that if it would have worked out for him to stay here.

Almost sounded as if he was told it was time to move on wit Morgan coming back. Pure speculation on my part. Comments that if it would have worked out for him to stay here.
I really think he was passed by Athan (unless there was some falling out).

If he was a clear #2, he is one hit away from immediate PT and one year away from being the man. Unless he transfers down in competition, he will have a hard time landing in a better spot (assuming he was still #2).

I think he was passed by Athan/Kramer and now the writing is on the wall.

If he was a clear #2, he is one hit away from immediate PT and one year away from being the man. Unless he transfers down in competition, he will have a hard time landing in a better spot (assuming he was still #2).

Can call is passed or just the investment has moved to the two younger players.

Likely some truth to that - and he probably also saw the clock ticking, and if he was going to make a move and establish a meaningful career at a new school, this would be the time to do it rather than ride the bench and see another year of eligibility go by. Best of luck to him - unless he goes to Wiscy.

With how poorly Tanner played in some games and PJ stuck with Tanner (despite basically shutting down the passing game) I think has more to do with how much PJ loves Tanner rather than putting someone even slightly better.

Tanner is like a son to PJ. My guess is, if PJ sticks around for the next 4 years. We’ll see him pull a striggling QB not named Tanner

It could be that 2022 will be his last year playing too. Not everyone is going to take advantage of the extra Covid year. With Morgan coming back, his chances of playing much are not very good.

It could be that 2022 will be his last year playing too. Not everyone is going to take advantage of the extra Covid year. With Morgan coming back, his chances of playing much are not very good.
He was literally asked and said in the interview though that he plans on playing 2 years.

I believe he played for two years in Mankato and transferred with his brother to IMG, which is like 50,000 dollars per year. He returned to Minnesota with his brother and brought a few lineman with him. I remember he played on TC 7 x7 team. How many years does he have left?

With how poorly Tanner played in some games and PJ stuck with Tanner (despite basically shutting down the passing game) I think has more to do with how much PJ loves Tanner rather than putting someone even slightly better.

Tanner is like a son to PJ. My guess is, if PJ sticks around for the next 4 years. We’ll see him pull a striggling QB not named Tanner
PJ started Annexstad over TM in 2018 and was ready to in 2019 before ZA got injured. I'm sick of this idea that PJ is playing Tanner simply because of his love for Tanner.

PJ started Annexstad over TM in 2018 and was ready to in 2019 before ZA got injured. I'm sick of this idea that PJ is playing Tanner simply because of his love for Tanner.
The good news is, I get the sense most fans agree with your take. The bad news is, the ones that don't are really really vocal around here and can't stop obsessing about it and assuming they are right.

I've asked and looked for the information before -- but what are you basing your opinion that PJ was ready to start ZA5 in '19

Maybe Bowling Green will recruit him. To get playing time, he’ll be in a MW, Mac, or AAC conference team.

He clearly wasn't his son then. ZA was his son. PJ has since disowned ZA.

Either that or it's just a football related decision and he likes both guys.

Good luck kid. Gave up scholarship offers to be PWO at the U (maybe only a semester or a full year, but still a PWO). From the little I see he was a great teammate, and great attitude. Hope that was all true and he deserves a quality landing spot.
Would have really liked to see what he could have become without injuries at the U, but will never know. Hope he lights it up wherever he goes.

The thing that irks me a little is that ZA influenced bringing in a hell of a player in Faalale and a good player in Dunlap, possibly also helped influence his brother Brock into coming....and in Flecks blind loyalty to Morgan that's not even worth mop up duty or a change of pace in a couple games last year and this year all the while being a good team mate? Thanks for all you did ZA, much appreciated. Disclaimer - I'm not bashing Morgan, just would have rewarded ZA with a bit of playing time for that.

I thought Zach had a chance to be a quality quarterback for Minnesota. Some bad luck combined with injuries took away his chance. Tanner has been really good and then somewhat average, maybe Zach would have followed a similar career path given the chance, who knows? I wish Zach nothing but the best, he is a classy young man who helped the University on many levels.

I thought I had heard that ZA was named starter before getting injured. Maybe it was speculation at the time.
No, he hadn't been named the starter. But several in the media believed ZA would start or was leading the battle. Burns, for sure, was one.

I hope he transfers to Illinois State and beats the Badgers.

Often times the simplest explanation is the one that is the most correct.

Imagine if we had this kind of microscopic obsession foisted upon us when we decided to change jobs?

Why is he leaving?
What is wrong with the culture?
He was such a good employee - what went wrong?
He must be in the doghouse!
He surely did something to make his boss mad.
The boss had his favorites and that guy wasn't it.
The company really blew it by not retaining him.
I think the company struggles to break even next year without him.
The company will never be successful again.
Burn the company to the ground!

Top Bottom