Andy Katz podcast with Ben Johnson

You are correct in my opinion. I was able to watch him practice recently...he is so quick twitch and is definitely learning. I would love to see him be a great defensive player this year as well.
I hope you’re right, but the young man appears a bit too small to guard a 4, and not quite quick enough to guard the 3. Kind of the classic tweener who dominates in preseason games against smaller opponents, but struggles against high major competition. In his case, he had a nice preseason last year, and was crushed by Crowl in a game we should have won.

Here’s hoping his hustle and work ethic overcomes some of the physical disparities he’s likely to face.

I hope you’re right, but the young man appears a bit too small to guard a 4, and not quite quick enough to guard the 3. Kind of the classic tweener who dominates in preseason games against smaller opponents, but struggles against high major competition. In his case, he had a nice preseason last year, and was crushed by Crowl in a game we should have won.

Here’s hoping his hustle and work ethic overcomes some of the physical disparities he’s likely to face.
If he plays the 3, I think he has as much quickness as anyone we have there. He just doesn't have the height to guard a post like Crowl who has 4 inches on him.

The roster was retooled to address that problem. He shouldn't have to guard a guy like Crowl this year. When they go against teams like Wisconsin, Purdue, or Illinois that have a of big man in the middle Wilson should be more than capable of holding his own when Payne is in foul trouble or needs a break. He should be able to guard the 4 against most teams and the 5 against some.

Trilly Donovan has Ben among 4 Big Ten coaches on the hot seat. Says Niko Medved is the name to watch if Coyle makes a change after the season.

It’s fair that Ben is on the hot seat. He has to produce a very good team this year.

When reading the article and seeing 8 million for the Johnson buyout, thought he must have a good agent. Then reading further, it appears Gard has an even better one with his buyout at 12 million.

When reading the article and seeing 8 million for the Johnson buyout, thought he must have a good agent. Then reading further, it appears Gard has an even better one with his buyout at 12 million.
Ben’s buyout is his singular collegiate basketball success.

When hired to be fired, buyouts are pretty important in negotiations. Strong arguments can be made that the sparse resume may not have justified that high of a buyout, however, for our guy. It will be absolutely necessary in the next round of hiring though, given the track record here.

Way too much $$$$ for a noob. Where’s the value proposition?🤔

The new guy shattered Battle’s confidence in practice. Additionally Defense is half the game.

Ihnen, Betts, JOJ, Christie are all going to be a big step up for us at the 3. Give KK a little time too. That’s only 5 names to chew on. All names you don’t know squat about.

I hope Battle regains his form at OSU even when we spank them on the court. And we will. I don’t dislike Battle personally. Just his play last year was very disappointing especially after his first year.

Actually true. Ben should not have sat by and allow Battle to hurt the team. He should have been benched periodically to accept the concept of team play.
The new guy shattered Battle’s confidence in practice. Additionally Defense is half the game.

Ihnen, Betts, JOJ, Christie are all going to be a big step up for us at the 3. Give KK a little time too. That’s only 5 names to chew on. All names you don’t know squat about.

I hope Battle regains his form at OSU even when we spank them on the court. And we will. I don’t dislike Battle personally. Just his play last year was very disappointing especially after his first year.
Perhaps, if we truly understood what Battle went through last year, then we all wouldn’t be so harsh on the young man. Ryan James referenced it on the 247 board but said things are better kept in private. His play was out of character if you look at his freshman, sophomore and junior years without something going on.

You don’t think Battle was disappointed in his play. So many Battle haters.

Last edited:

If he plays the 3, I think he has as much quickness as anyone we have there. He just doesn't have the height to guard a post like Crowl who has 4 inches on him.
He just doesn't have the skills to play the 3. If we continue to roll out PFs at the wing, we're going to have a horrible season.

Top Bottom