Andy Katz on the Gophers

Wow! He said out loud: The Gophers have a great chance to finish somewhere in the upper half of the Big Ten!!! And a first half resume for the NCAA Tournament without question. WOW!

He studies this stuff and gets paid to report this stuff....are we believers yet?

Wow! He said out loud: The Gophers have a great chance to finish somewhere in the upper half of the Big Ten!!! And a first half resume for the NCAA Tournament without question. WOW!

He studies this stuff and gets paid to report this stuff....are we believers yet?
I like watching this team, my expectations have been virtually blown apart. And I’m scared to take that step of adjusting my expectations.

I really enjoy the ability to be happy with nearly every performance and the perspective is completely different than the last 10 or so years of gopher fandom where I came in with one expectation and was thoroughly disappointed.

I won’t change and suddenly peg this team as a tournament team. At this moment I’ll still be impressed, very impressed, with an nit invite.

I still think we will hit a wall against more athletic teams. I think we’ll give Wisconsin,
Iowa and Nebraska a good run which is all I really need.

I was when I started the tanking thread when we won the wood ball in Asheville

This is appropriate for all of us (RIP Mike)

I like watching this team, my expectations have been virtually blown apart. And I’m scared to take that step of adjusting my expectations.

I really enjoy the ability to be happy with nearly every performance and the perspective is completely different than the last 10 or so years of gopher fandom where I came in with one expectation and was thoroughly disappointed.

I won’t change and suddenly peg this team as a tournament team. At this moment I’ll still be impressed, very impressed, with an nit invite.

I still think we will hit a wall against more athletic teams. I think we’ll give Wisconsin,

Remember, it's #MinnesotaSports. The winds of shit are always blowing.

The way things are shaping up, the "athletic" teams can beat us and we can still make it to the NCAA tournament. If we end up around .500 in B1G play we're in for sure.

Nothing he said is untrue and I don’t think anyone really debates it. Do I think they finish top half of the big ten? No. Do they have a chance? Yes.
Do they have a great resume right now? Yes

i hope they continue to play well. Coach Johnson has been doing a great job of getting them to play great team ball that hides their individual deficiencies and lack of depth.

Andy Katz never has been, and never will be a dink!!

Edit: Subject to change, of course.

He's a Badger, so that's a massive dink hole he has to dig out of just to get to flat non-dink ground. But he does seem like a decent guy, despite his dubious personal choice in higher education.

He's a Badger, so that's a massive dink hole he has to dig out of just to get to flat non-dink ground. But he does seem like a decent guy, despite his dubious personal choice in higher education.
I’m not sure anybody can truly be cleansed of that.

I keep waiting for the "Gilligan, you can't fly; it's impossible!" moment for this team, and with their limited depth and slim margin for error, that moment might still come where it crashes down. That's no lack of confidence in these players and coaches, just the reality that they've been overachieving, and the minutes might end up catching up to them. Enjoying this fun team, though, and will continue to do so and love the heck out of them all season.

I keep waiting for the "Gilligan, you can't fly; it's impossible!" moment for this team, and with their limited depth and slim margin for error, that moment might still come where it crashes down. That's no lack of confidence in these players and coaches, just the reality that they've been overachieving, and the minutes might end up catching up to them. Enjoying this fun team, though, and will continue to do so and love the heck out of them all season.
For me, that moment is significant injury. It not, we won't get it. I have a hard time, at this point of the season, seeing this team stupid its way to losses like we have seen so often in the past. The last four minutes of games are decided by stupid plays, and outstanding players taking over. Gophers have proved themselves not stupid, and both Willis and Battle have shown the moxie to make big plays late in the game. Stay healthy, guys.

Just a question, seriously, have they been overachieving? I look at basketball much as I look at hockey, they're a lot of people actually playing the sport. I don't think all the good players actually get scouted well or enough. Some are just late bloomers, some just end up working harder and improving their game while others stagnate. Maybe the guys we have are late bloomers, worked harder or weren't scouted and vetted as well as the popular hot beds of basketball. I don't know all the answers but I feel like lots of players just aren't seen as much as others and so there are some misses that are truly good players. Ben and coaches seem to have found some hidden gems in the weeds or the back country!

For me, that moment is significant injury. It not, we won't get it. I have a hard time, at this point of the season, seeing this team stupid its way to losses like we have seen so often in the past. The last four minutes of games are decided by stupid plays, and outstanding players taking over. Gophers have proved themselves not stupid, and both Willis and Battle have shown the moxie to make big plays late in the game. Stay healthy, guys.
I generally agree, but the turnover fest the other night is concerning to me. That won't cut it against good teams. I realize it was an aberration, but make no mistake, other teams are filing that footage away for when they play us.

Great story thus far and a fun team to watch. With Willis and Battle, we have two strong points to the triangle and need another guy to really emerge. I'm not complaining because the role players have really been doing their respective jobs on the floor, but it would be nice to have one more guy to lean on. Of course, just about every team can say that.

Great story thus far and a fun team to watch. With Willis and Battle, we have two strong points to the triangle and need another guy to really emerge. I'm not complaining because the role players have really been doing their respective jobs on the floor, but it would be nice to have one more guy to lean on. Of course, just about every team can say that.
I'm hoping for Stephens to emerge as that third guy. He's versatile enough to come up with the big play in different ways.

I'm hoping for Stephens to emerge as that third guy. He's versatile enough to come up with the big play in different ways.
I agree with this. He has a nose for the game and is certainly not afraid to try.

I cannot say whether E.J. has truly emerged, but in both of the last two games (MI and CC) he had huge buckets that stopped runs by the opponent where things were starting to go sideways.

Top Bottom