Anas Osama Mahmoud Commits to Louisville

Anas also says that he cares more about his basketball career then being a chemical engineer. so it comes down to who he thinks gives him the best shot at furthering his bball career.

Yeah, he is going to be a pro player, if not here, somewhere overseas, He will always have a pro career back in his home country where he already plays for the national team, he likely will not use his degree, at least for the first 10-15 years after he is done with college

Being his basketball career is his passion and goal for his future, can anyone tell me how GT likes their 4 men to play?

just sent him a Photoshop of him in a gophers jersey and what he'd look like in a few years in pitino's system, if it doesn't convince him to commit here, and I don't know what will

just sent him a Photoshop of him in a gophers jersey and what he'd look like in a few years in pitino's system, if it doesn't convince him to commit here, and I don't know what will

Can we see the photo?

Tried to ask him if he had talked to Coach Pitino lately, and he asked which one? Interesting...

Tried to ask him if he had talked to Coach Pitino lately, and he asked which one? Interesting...
I took his response more as he has talked to both before so being you didn't clarify to him which one you were talking about he asked you which one. Like he may have thought you were a Louisville fan being you didn't clarify that either.

Could it be that his desire to play power forward is the reason Loisville and Florida have cooled on him?

We really need a 5 on this roster I think, We will be losing our only 2 centers at the end of next year, and I'm not sure if you want to go into a season with a true freshman playing center, If not Anas, hope they take someone else in at the position even if anas commits here. I actually would not be surprised to see Martin playing the 5 in his sophomore year, with anas playing PF if he commits here, Martin is a better post player and is a lot stronger, and rumor has it that he is 6'10 which would mean his height would not be an issue

If Pitino told Martin he could work on becoming a 3, I see no reason why Pitino would tell Anas he can't develop as a 4.

We really need a 5 on this roster I think, We will be losing our only 2 centers at the end of next year, and I'm not sure if you want to go into a season with a true freshman playing center, If not Anas, hope they take someone else in at the position even if anas commits here. I actually would not be surprised to see Martin playing the 5 in his sophomore year, with anas playing PF if he commits here, Martin is a better post player and is a lot stronger, and rumor has it that he is 6'10 which would mean his height would not be an issue

Konate at the 5?

I don't recall much of his HIGHLIGHT films exhibiting a robust low post game. That said, could he play a 5 in an up tempo system? Sure, but I don't know if anyone should be saying that Martin is a low post player considering what we think we know of him.

Konate at the 5?

yeah he can play the 5, but if anas commits here, would you want konate or piper/eubanks for the final scholarship spot. Even if a guy like oto leaves, I think I'd rather have both eubanks/piper over konate since we are losing a lot of wing players after this year, and only have morris committed at the wing position

I don't recall much of his HIGHLIGHT films exhibiting a robust low post game. That said, could he play a 5 in an up tempo system? Sure, but I don't know if anyone should be saying that Martin is a low post player considering what we think we know of him.

Martin has a lot of post game and is a very good rebounder much better hands than MO/EE when it comes to holding on to the ball, I think he has what it takes to play center at the college game, I just don't think he wants to play the position right now, but that could easily change after been talked to by the coaches. He likes shooting from the outside, but game of basketball has evolved so much that centers shoot 3's now. Just look at Kaminsky at WI or Payne at MSU, so he will still be able to shoot from the outside, we'll just need him to cover 5's and post up for the team, which he is capable of doing

Martin has a lot of post game and is a very good rebounder much better hands than MO/EE when it comes to holding on to the ball, I think he has what it takes to play center at the college game, I just don't think he wants to play the position right now, but that could easily change after been talked to by the coaches. He likes shooting from the outside, but game of basketball has evolved so much that centers shoot 3's now. Just look at Kaminsky at WI or Payne at MSU, so he will still be able to shoot from the outside, we'll just need him to cover 5's and post up for the team, which he is capable of doing
You know this how?

Does Pitino and the Gophers staff see you as a stretch 4 or a 5?
they knows that i can be both

How close are you to making your college decision?
one or tow weeks :)

You know this how?

I saw him play over winter break when I visited family in washington, besides his rebounding numbers speak for themselves. The guy is huge and all muscles, just look through all his highlights, plenty of footage of him playing downlow with his back to the basket, and that was before he got as big as he is now. Don't get me wrong, I like him more at the 4, but I can see him playing the 5 if we don't find anyone to take over that position for EE/MO right away. He will definitely be a big help downlow for EE/MO next year compared to this years PF crop

I found a game video of Anas' West Oaks from February 8th of this year. The quality isn't best, but adequate. Tip-off is at the 1:04:00 point in the video. In the first minute or so, the camera operator falls asleep for a few seconds. I haven't watched much of it yet.

He does look more like a power forward from the little I watched. Good passer, and moves very well for a 7 footer. Overall, I thought his team looked a little out of sync at times, but I only watched about 10 minutes of video all together.

He does look more like a power forward from the little I watched. Good passer, and moves very well for a 7 footer. Overall, I thought his team looked a little out of sync at times, but I only watched about 10 minutes of video all together.

yup, pretty much had the same impressions. Pretty good passer(some times he forces bad passes), but I like his ability to drive and dish. He will be nightmare match wise for opposing coaches, Put your tallest guy on him and Anas will likely run circles around him, and put a faster guy on him and anas will just shoot over him. Seems like a good guy to have against the zone, seems to be pretty good at passing from the middle of the zone. I noticed on the offensive end he was not post player, but on the defensive end he had no issue playing downlow. Which is really what we need from him. If he wants to play the 4 that is fine if he helps out downlow on the defensive end like he seems to do right now in high school. I don't think he will contribute much right away however, he'll need to bulk up little(even at the high school level he was being pushed around), and work on minimizing his mistakes.

On a side note, Egypt is in the world cup this year, which likely means he won't be around whatever college he picks until September so he can play for the national team. Probably means he'd get more reps than the team, but he won't be able to learn pitino's system, so he might be step behind everyone when the season starts up. Redshirt season is probably the best thing for him, but I'm not sure if that is what he wants.

From watching the team (at least the 10 minutes or so that I saw so far), I get the impression they haven't been together for long. I'm not familiar with the school, but I'm guessing there's pretty high turnover of players from year to year. I believe I read that Anas had been injured earlier in the year. That would explain why he didn't appear in West Oaks games in December (I found those videos too, he wasn't on the floor). There was another February video that I didn't even link that showed Anas going to the hoop, and the pass went outside twice within about 5 minutes. The lack of familiarity with eachother could be the reason for some of these forced passes, but I didn't see those in the videos I watched.

Apparently, he can knock it down from beyond the arc.

Do you shoot 3s often? If so, just curious what your make % is on 3s. you can ask my coach about that :D but 3 weeks ago i got 3/3 and 4/5 in 2 games in a row :) about 6 hours ago

I asked him this and found it interesting that Louisville was still in play but all the national guys don't think he will go there, by all accounts it sounded like he enjoyed his visit to Louisville, so wonder why the national guys don't think he'll go to louisville, is it just because he has a lot of bigs already commited to Louisville?

what are the final schools on your list you are picking from for college ball?

(Louisville, Minnesota, Georgia tech) and maybe Florida :)

Just one game video, but what impressed me about Mahmoud was his skill level, feel for the game (offensively), and ability to run the floor. The most impressive plays I saw from him were a nice pass from the high post which definitely translates to our offense and a couple of rebounds/loose balls where Mahmoud got the ball under his own basket and comfortably took the ball up court with good pace. He almost reminds me of like a tennis player in that he's so skilled and moves so well for his height. On the downside, he doesn't show any desire to be physical or deal with physical players and certainly isn't ready to play in the paint in the B1G (or any major conference with the possible exception of the Pac 12).

The potential for Mahmoud seems enormous in the Gophers system, especially at the 4. On the offensive end, we like to run a lot of pick and fade action with the 4 screening for the guard and ending up behind the 3 point line for a good look if his defender gives help. With his his size, Mahmoud gets that shot off easily and I think he's got the skill to put the ball on the floor from the wing and get to the bucket as well. Defensively, adding a guy with his length at the 4 would potentially be great for our defense. I think he can run with most 4's and having him in with another big guy (and hopefully at least one wing who is 6'5 +) would really shrink the passing lanes when we speed teams up.

I do think some caution on Mahmoud is warranted even with his high ranking. I think it's fair to say that a lot of his ranking is based more on who he could be versus who he is now. To compare, I think Konate already has some skills in the paint and a shot blocker that could help a team immediately, but doesn't have the upside of Mahmoud. I've been wondering if Pitino would take both Konate and Mahmoud in the unlikely event that both want to become Gophers. I could see them complementing each other well eventually and a year where Mahmoud would likely not have to play any minutes at the five, would benefit him tremendously.

Top Bottom