Analytics love Gophs...Connelly #16, Sagarin #23, Massie #22

This Gopher Team is easily a top 25 team, we just underperformed at some key times and it ruined the perception.
I agree. The numbers don't lie. The Gophs are a top-30-caliber team, but they've underperformed in the W/L category, especially against the better teams. To win hardware, you have to win the big games. Purdue and Iowa were those games. The Vikings are going to hang a banner after this season because they've managed to win those key, close games.

I agree. The numbers don't lie. The Gophs are a top-30-caliber team, but they've underperformed in the W/L category, especially against the better teams. To win hardware, you have to win the big games. Purdue and Iowa were those games. The Vikings are going to hang a banner after this season because they've managed to win those key, close games.

Does analytics ignore strength of schedule?

I'm not being a smart-ass, I genuinely don't know the answer.

Statistical darlings. Top 25 teams, generally, but not always, beat someone with a winning record.

Our NC schedule put together a monster 7-28 record. Our stats from those three games make this team look a lot better than it really was.

We backed that up with 5 wins against teams with a record of 20-40 in Big Ten play.

A combined total of 27 - 68 for the teams we beat.

The only team we lost to that was a impressive team was Penn State (unless they played tOSU or Michigan). The other losses were to pedestrian Purdue and Iowa teams, and an Illinois team that was very good on Defense, but lost to Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State - ??? - and Michigan, their only "quality" loss.

This was a Gopher team that should have been better, but was also pedestrian at best. We'll see where we are in year seven of the PJ Fleck experience, but this team was not an upgrade from the Mason or Kill/Claeys years in terms of results - it's the same product with fancier packaging and a weak schedule. (rank of 67 in the FBS, 19 places weaker than 2021. the weakest schedule in the past 10 years)

We did, however, still beat Wisconsin, so that's in the plus column.
Yes. We are slightly overrated by computers for the same reason wisconsin basketball is always slightly overrated by computers

Does analytics ignore strength of schedule?

I'm not being a smart-ass, I genuinely don't know the answer.
Depends on who’s formula you use how they calculate it

RPI rank has gophers 38th
I believe that is 50% your record
25% your opponents record
25% your opponent’s opponents record

Top Bottom