An Ugly Combination

bleedsmaroonandgold

Reaction score
When lazy play and bad decisions team up, a hockey team can look pretty bad. That is what happened tonight. I could not believe how inept our feeble attempts at zone entry were. Our powerplay unit was like watching paint dry. DU packed them in to block shots, and instead of fighting our way to the tough areas and getting soft low shots in through traffic, we either fired the big shot right into the block or moved the puck so far to the outside that we could not even smell the net. At times, we looked like the bball team's halfcourt offense aimlessly moving the puck around the outside.

The worst part of all of this is that we really put ourselves behind the 8 ball in terms of winning the WCHA. This one stung bad.

Yeah, it'll take a miracle for us to win the WCHA now. Not gonna happen.
Sounds like Don really layed into them in the locker room after the game, which is probably what they needed. Really quiet and somber mood after the game. Budish said it best after the game, "we're embarrassed".

I think they have probably been slightly overrated all year. Not sure they have the heart of a champion.........

They brought it tonight and got some big time help from Michigan Tech and Bemidji. Does anyone know the tie-break procedures in WCHA standings? They will almost certainly be relevant to someone with how tight the conference is. Us, SCSU, and NoDak all hit the road next weekend, we have the easiest opponent in the Beavers. It almost hurts me to say it, but I hope Wisconsin can get the sweep against Saint Cloud, and hopefully one point from Mankato would be enough to give us the win outright over the hockey team formerly known as the Sioux.

They brought it tonight and got some big time help from Michigan Tech and Bemidji. Does anyone know the tie-break procedures in WCHA standings? They will almost certainly be relevant to someone with how tight the conference is. Us, SCSU, and NoDak all hit the road next weekend, we have the easiest opponent in the Beavers. It almost hurts me to say it, but I hope Wisconsin can get the sweep against Saint Cloud, and hopefully one point from Mankato would be enough to give us the win outright over the hockey team formerly known as the Sioux.

I'm pretty sure as far as the Macnaughton cup goes that there can be co-champions. As far as seeding for the tourney goes, this was taken from the WCHA website:

At the conclusion of the regular season, teams will be ranked by the number of points accumulated. If two teams are tied for first place, they will be declared co-WCHA champions.

The first round of the WCHA's post-season tournament will be a best-of-three games format at the home site of the teams ranked higher in the final regular season standings. All 12 teams participate in the first round of the tournament. First round playoff pairings will be: #1 rank vs #12 rank, #2 rank vs #11 rank, #3 vs #10, #4 vs #9, 5# vs #8, and #6 vs #7.

Following the six first round series, the six winning teams will be re-seeded #1 thru #6 according to their standings in the final WCHA in-season competition and will advance to the WCHA Final Five.

In the event that ties are encountered in the determination of WCHA ranking or designation of home teams for playoff purposes, the following procedures will be used in the order given to break the ties:

a) If two or more teams are tied, head-to-head competition during the regular (conference) season will be used to break the tie.

b) If two or more teams are still tied after (a), the highest seed will go to the team with the most WCHA (conference) wins during the regular season.

c) If two or more teams played a four-game series during the regular season and the teams have the same win-loss records for those series and the same number of WCHA wins, the team having the least number of goals scored against it in the four-game series shall have the higher rank. If two or more teams played a two-game series during the regular season, procede to tie-breaker d).

d) If two or more teams are still tied after applying the provisions of (a), (b) and (c), the team having the greatest "winning margin" during the regular season will have the higher rank. Winning margin = WCHA goals for during the regular season minus WCHA goals against.

e) Games played against WCHA opponents in holiday tournaments will not be counted in the determinations.

so in short. We need to sweep bemidji and st. cloud needs to be held to 1 point at Wisconsin. Stranger things have happened. Wisconsin is fighting for a spot in the ncaa tournament. They are currently 20th in the pairwise. 4 spots out.

Thanks for the info Furry. Obviously winning the MacNaughton would be huge, but so would getting one of the top two spots to get that quarterfinal bye.

Thanks furry! I was wondering about tiebreaker scenarios as well!

The gophers were co champs in '97, but got the two seed in the final five, lost to the sioux in ot at the old civic center. Still hung a banner for that team. Also, when I was sitting in the stands in warm ups on Friday I noticed none of our national title teams won the regular season conference title.

Top Bottom