Amelia says Joey King and Carlos Morris "aren't expected to hold major roles" next yr

I understand the sentiment that Amelia likely didn't get the Joey King and Carlos Morris aren't expected to play major roles part from a coach (and definitely not from a coach who thought that statement had a chance of making it in to the paper) and that it probably shouldn't have been included in her story. That said, many on the board are ready to declare next year a second straight disaster. If that is the case, then it wouldn't make much sense for Carlos or Joey to play a major role next year. Why give big minutes to a Senior if you are going to finish 7-11-3-15 ? It makes much more sense to give those minutes to someone who may help you in the future as opposed to someone who is in their last season.

I apologize for saying something about Amelia that added nothing to the thread.

Admin rightfully deleted those.

Doc.

While I certainly understand the argument for next year being year one of the rebuild with virtually all Pitino recruits and a very young roster, I would be nervous about putting a 4-14 conference record behind an 8-10 and 6-12. I would be nervous about this thing starting to snowball and having a real difficulty trying to put quality recruits on the court. If Morris and King remain the best options at their respective positions (which I think they are at this point), they should see the court. There will be plenty of minutes available in and out of conference.

that added nothing to the thread.

You were just keeping it consistent... 99% of your posts add nothing to the thread.

You were just keeping it consistent... 99% of your posts add nothing to the thread.

Don's a 1 percenter!!!!

While I certainly understand the argument for next year being year one of the rebuild with virtually all Pitino recruits and a very young roster, I would be nervous about putting a 4-14 conference record behind an 8-10 and 6-12. I would be nervous about this thing starting to snowball and having a real difficulty trying to put quality recruits on the court. If Morris and King remain the best options at their respective positions (which I think they are at this point), they should see the court. There will be plenty of minutes available in and out of conference.

Exactly, the players that give the Gophers the best chance to win need to play. I like your point about the snowball effect and how the continued losing (below .500 in the B1G) likely will impact potential recruits (talents like Coffey, etc.). A program like Minnesota can't go around "throwing away" seasons by playing guys that clearly aren't ready (i.e. Diedhiou & to a lesser extent Konate). Preface what I'm about to say by pointing out I don't make a habit of criticizing players. Not my thing. However. ...

If Joey is the best 4 we have next year, then he should get the lion's share of the minutes. The bigger issue, however, is if he is the best we have at that position for 2015-16, then that speaks volumes about the staff's recruiting, and not in a good way. Joey has been and can continue to be a solid contributor for the Gophers in his senior season, but at the very best he should have a serious fight on his hands to retain his starting position and/or extended minutes next season.

If Joey is the best 4 we have next year, then he should get the lion's share of the minutes

King and Morris will hold major roles. If she said they would have slightly diminished roles next season I'm not sure I would agree, but at least she wouldn't come off as clueless.

King is averaging over 28mpg, it would be great if Gas, Kontae, Buggs could earn some of those minutes, but the chance he averages less than 20mpg is pretty unlikely.

Ideally King would be a 15-18 mpg guy, but that would require a huge improvement from one or a combination those guys.

Exactly, the players that give the Gophers the best chance to win need to play. I like your point about the snowball effect and how the continued losing (below .500 in the B1G) likely will impact potential recruits (talents like Coffey, etc.). A program like Minnesota can't go around "throwing away" seasons by playing guys that clearly aren't ready (i.e. Diedhiou & to a lesser extent Konate). Preface what I'm about to say by pointing out I don't make a habit of criticizing players. Not my thing. However. ... If Joey is the best 4 we have next year, then he should get the lion's share of the minutes. The bigger issue, however, is if he is the best we have at that position for 2015-16, then that speaks volumes about the staff's recruiting, and not in a good way. Joey has been and can continue to be a solid contributor for the Gophers in his senior season, but at the very best he should have a serious fight on his hands to retain his starting position and/or extended minutes next season.

The caveat I would add to that is if Joey is going to start at the 4, whoever plays the 5 needs to have strengths of rebounding and defense.

Right now all of Joey's deficiencies are magnified playing next to Mo who has the same exact weaknesses.

I apologize for saying something about Amelia that added nothing to the thread.

Admin rightfully deleted those.

Doc.

The comment was udderly ridiculous. You really made boob out of yourself.

The caveat I would add to that is if Joey is going to start at the 4, whoever plays the 5 needs to have strengths of rebounding and defense.

Right now all of Joey's deficiencies are magnified playing next to Mo who has the same exact weaknesses.

Spot on. This is one of the reasons why this has been such a difficult year- so many players with glaring deficiencies in one area or another. Joey and Walker are pretty good offensive threats but no good on defense or on the boards. Elliason- no offense. Therefore with EE in the game- the other team can put more pressure on our guards- specifically Andrea Hollins.
We were a very poor shot blocking team- forcing us to sag down low with double and even triple teams when the ball went inside....leaving the kick out for the three maddeningly wide open. We could lack stars next year but field a bunch of guys who can play well on both ends and compliment each other well. If that happens we could be better. I think for sure we are going to be tougher on the boards. No where to go but up there.

Fair points by both of you. One thing that seems pretty certain, there are going to be some interesting battles for playing time with all the new guys coming in. Pitino has a ton of minutes to offer with the departures of Mathieu, Hollins, EE, and Mo.

I believe we have 3 open schollys. Is that correct?

I would like to see some quality post recruits. That's the most concerning to me at this point.

Morris must acquire vision and learn to share the ball or getting shots will get very difficult.

Most of the shots Morris takes will NEVER be difficult to get. That 1-on-3 fast break, 4 seconds into the shot clock, running fade jumper is almost always there for the taking.

Most of the shots Morris takes will NEVER be difficult to get. That 1-on-3 fast break, 4 seconds into the shot clock, running fade jumper is almost always there for the taking.

Morris is a "volume shooter" though Ollie Shannon thinks Carlos needs more touches.

Go Gophers!!

King is averaging over 28mpg, it would be great if Gas, Kontae, Buggs could earn some of those minutes, but the chance he averages less than 20mpg is pretty unlikely.

Ideally King would be a 15-18 mpg guy, but that would require a huge improvement from one or a combination those guys.

Again, as others have said, Pitino really should make recruiting an alternative to the players you've mentioned as #1 priority for next year.

But my 1% says more than 99% of others' posts. :cool02:

But my 1% says more than 99% of others' posts. :cool02:

How would we know? We've yet to read your 1%. From the looks of things we're at about 46% at present. Odds are that we'll all be dead before your 1% comes around. :cool:

How would we know? We've yet to read your 1%. From the looks of things we're at about 46% at present. Odds are that we'll all be dead before your 1% comes around. :cool:

Good. I hope you are. :)

Dr. Don, please be brave. I feel that there is wisdom that RP can use that you are holding back with your name the score, don't post anything negative, etc. nonsense. Open up the kimono for Nadine to see!!!!

Exactly, the players that give the Gophers the best chance to win need to play. I like your point about the snowball effect and how the continued losing (below .500 in the B1G) likely will impact potential recruits (talents like Coffey, etc.). A program like Minnesota can't go around "throwing away" seasons by playing guys that clearly aren't ready (i.e. Diedhiou & to a lesser extent Konate). Preface what I'm about to say by pointing out I don't make a habit of criticizing players. Not my thing. However. ...

If Joey is the best 4 we have next year, then he should get the lion's share of the minutes. The bigger issue, however, is if he is the best we have at that position for 2015-16, then that speaks volumes about the staff's recruiting, and not in a good way. Joey has been and can continue to be a solid contributor for the Gophers in his senior season, but at the very best he should have a serious fight on his hands to retain his starting position and/or extended minutes next season.

Obviously if King/Morris playing is the difference between .500 or better in the conference and another losing season they should both play a lot of minutes. However if King/Morris playing a lot of minutes is the difference between 6-12 and 4-14, then you might as well play the guys who will be here in '16-17. Personally I find it hard to believe that King can be such a net positive over another player at the 4 that he's worth an additional conference win, I'd say the same about Morris, but at least Carlos has some room to grow and could be a better player next year. I agree with Selection Sunday in that if King is still the best option (or who Pitino perceives as his best option) at the 4 next year, then that does not speak well of Pitino's recruiting.

Shocked by her statement. Don't see how both players won't get significant minutes next year.

Agreed, because the Dr's comment of Amelia's chest is so awe inspiring. Glad that adds so much value to this forum. Go Gophers! quotes seem to be his mantra, at best...Try adding something of value, not just pissing on others opinions.

No need for the pessimism. Some clutch FT shooting and better awareness at times and we would have been in the NCAA this year. Bringing in a top 25 class that is quick, BB savvy, and defensive minded will not be a let down. This is not a typical Munson recruiting class. The problem we have is similar to what Kill had, it will take a few years to balance out the roster. Remember that we are down a shooting guard and forward from the start of the season. The experience from Spain will bring the new team together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quotes seem to be his mantra, at best...Try adding something of value, not just pissing on others opinions.

Don't you think if he were inclined to provide something other than posts "pissing on others' opinions," referring to beer or insipid insider jokes, or glib (without being good enough to be witty) quips, he would have done so by now? Looks like a lost cause to me.

No need for the pessimism. Some clutch FT shooting and better awareness at times and we would have been in the NCAA this year. Bringing in a top 25 class that is quick, BB savvy, and defensive minded will not be a let down. This is not a typical Munson recruiting class.

Don't know who Munson is and it's not a top 25 class, but most importantly... "clutch" FT shooting wouldn't put this team into the NCAA tourney. So many more significant issues. We're talking about a team with 5 conference wins and hoping to get #6 before the season is done. A team hoping to get an NIT bid.

To claim that this team is just short and that FT shooting is a big part of why they're short is just wrong.

We're talking about a team with 5 conference wins and hoping to get #6 before the season is done. A team hoping to get an NIT bid.

Not to mention, one that's in a battle to finish ahead of another 2nd-year Big Ten coach and his squad, Chris Collins and Northwestern.

Don't know who Munson is and it's not a top 25 class, but most importantly... "clutch" FT shooting wouldn't put this team into the NCAA tourney. So many more significant issues. We're talking about a team with 5 conference wins and hoping to get #6 before the season is done. A team hoping to get an NIT bid.

To claim that this team is just short and that FT shooting is a big part of why they're short is just wrong.

There are a lot of issues but we could have won three more games early on by making free throws. That - if it had happened would have changed the direction and momentum of the team.

Ok, so I screwed up the spelling of a former coach, I figured it was close enough it get the point across. And, earlier in the B1G season we had several close losses that we easily could have won before the season got away. The point I was trying to make was to show some patience and I fully expect next year's team to be better. Pitino will be bringing in much better recruits than we have been accustom to getting and there will not be a major fall off.

Pitino will be bringing in much better recruits than we have been accustom to getting and there will not be a major fall off.

I wish I could believe that, but I don't. On paper, the incoming class is slightly better than the previous year - but it's not like Pitino is bringing in a top-20 class, or landing a Mc Donald's All-American candidate. Overall, next year's team may have a slight improvement in talent - but they will also have an incredibly young and inexperienced front line - playing in a B1G conference that typically puts a premium on physical play and features solid (if not spectacular) big men around the conference.

Unless the recruits are a LOT better than I think, or the returning players make a huge jump in their play, I expect next year's team to have a record no better than this year - or possible worse. Not trying to be a troll - that's my honest opinion about this program.

Top Bottom