Amelia blog: Gophers might not be hitting Illinois at the greatest time

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

This is not to say the Gophers CAN’T beat Illinois now – they certainly can, and have shown they are capable of playing at a high level – but the concerning trend may be that the Gophers have not been able to show they can beat the top teams (they are 0-3 vs. teams ranked in the top 10 at the time they met), while the Illini have (with wins over Ohio State, Gonzaga and now Indiana). And while the Illini reacted in an impressive way to their own shortcomings, the Gophers haven’t had a truly impressive victory over a good team since starting the season 15-1.

Count on Sunday’s game being yet another big test for the 2013 Gophers – something that might not have been said 24 hours ago.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/190406101.html

Go Gophers!!

I respectfully disagree with Amelia on this one. We're playing Illinois at exactly the right time. If the game was in Champaign-Urbana, I'd feel quite a bit differently.

The best thing that could have happened to the Gophers is Illinois knocking off Indiana. Maybe it'll help the Gophers realize they need to play something resembling 40 minutes of quality basketball, as opposed to about half that, which is what they usually play (lately).

Always look forward to Gopher games, but my interest in this one went up about 10-fold after watching Illinois celebrate last night. That should give the game quite a bit more edge. Hopefully the Gophers are fully engaged in the battle.

Illinois has an interesting history after big wins. Look no further than our first win at Assembly, which came following the Illini's big win over Ohio State. I can't lie, I was happy to see them net that win last night, it made me feel even better about our chances for a win. It's true the Gophers haven't scored a "truly impressive" win since 15-1, but it's not like they've just crapped the bed either. I'm not sitting here saying I'm sure they'll win, but I just personally believe their win last night improves our chances, just based on their history.

Why does every sports story in this town have to be fed through a prism of negativity before being posted/published? I mean, everything has a negative spin these days. The Gophers haven't looked great for a few weeks, against tough competition, but both Marcus and Amelia seem to consistently have a negative outlook on this team, the staff, and the players, and it gets annoying. It's not a breach of journalistic ethics to write something positive about the team. Why is the story here not that Illinois' win potentially helps the U by adding the possibility for another quality win, and that Illinois could be less hungry after knocking off such a high profile team?

I agree with SS and Monty that I am ok with Illinois winning last night.

I just want it not to matter. I feel like this team has enough talent that, when we host a 3-7 opponent on our home court, it should not matter whether last night's win makes them hot or cocky.

Why does every sports story in this town have to be fed through a prism of negativity before being posted/published? I mean, everything has a negative spin these days. The Gophers haven't looked great for a few weeks, against tough competition, but both Marcus and Amelia seem to consistently have a negative outlook on this team, the staff, and the players, and it gets annoying. It's not a breach of journalistic ethics to write something positive about the team. Why is the story here not that Illinois' win potentially helps the U by adding the possibility for another quality win, and that Illinois could be less hungry after knocking off such a high profile team?

I remember Marcus making a series of negative tweets at the beginning of our game at Illinois this year, about how our guys should have been called for fouls but weren't, and how the whole Brandon Paul charge-dunk was totally legit. Amelia doesn't seem too bad, at least she's not like some of the other media guys who bash fans for low attendance numbers and then bash fans for cheering for the team when they're playing poorly.

I feel like this could be spun either way. You could say that Illinois will be cocky coming off the big win and come out flat against the Gophers, or that an Illini team that has regained its confidence will come to play and beat the Gophers. Likewise if they had lost, you could say that a reeling Illinois squad will likely get blown out at the Barn, or that a loss will make the team hungry and want the win more.

None of us knows which Gopher team will show up, nor which Illinois team will show up. I won't say anything either way, which is why I look forward to the game being played out.

Very true Dr. Don. I do think Illinois is going to be pissed after the way the Gophers finished against them in Champaign. The last ~10 of that game was some of the best ball the Gophers played this year, and we embarrassed them on their home court.

I heard an interview with Tyler Griffey on the Doug Gottlieb show during my lunch break. He sounds full of confidence again. We will definitely not be getting the same team that lost at home to NW two weeks ago.

I heard an interview with Tyler Griffey on the Doug Gottlieb show during my lunch break. He sounds full of confidence again. We will definitely not be getting the same team that lost at home to NW two weeks ago.

Anyone can sound full of confidence. It takes the game to prove confidence.

Shut-down Paul and we have a good chance. Austin? Andre? Please step up.

That is a load of bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

Illinois wins all its big games but Minny doesn't?!

How convenient the win over MSU was left out of the discussion, or our win on the road vs Illinois, or our losing ONLY 1 game at home this year, to the recently #1 Michigan were left out of the discussion.

Also convenient how the Illini's going 1-6 in the 7 games prior to the game vs Indiana was not mentioned.

Also convenient how she used the AP poll and not the coaches poll. Use the coaches poll and all of a sudden that win over Indiana was the Illini's FIRST big win since the conf scedule started, and Minnesota would be 1-3 vs the Top 10, with Illinois being only 1-2 vs the Top 10.

This was a NEGATIVE STORY purposely manufactured out of nowhere. It makes me think WAY LESS of the writer, and I didn't have the worst impression before this story. It's ridiculous to say the least.

I could go on and on about how idiotic it is.

Illinois is a team that simply lives and more often than not, DIES by the three. Unfortunately we have not done well in defending against the 3 lately. But the Illini have also not been making their shots, at least not until the last game. They are a schizo team, up and down, and more often than not, DOWN.

They have gotten beat by Purdue, SWEPT by Wisconsin, were pummeled by us. Their wins over OSU and Indiana are nothing but FLUKES. Both were home games for Illinois.

The Illini's only true road win since the Gonzaga game was vs Nebraska. They are 1-3 on the road so far this season. We have only 1 loss at home so far this season.

I've said enough.

If Illinois hits their 3's they will win, if we can contain the three then we win.....they can't beat us inside.

i think we are getting them at the perfect time..
confidence to Ill means jacking everything... "the only bad 3 is the one you dont jack ".

they start 1 - 11 from 3 and we get out to an easy double-digit lead.
book it!

They are 3-7. There is no wrong time to be meeting them. A win the Gophers absolutely should and must have.

i think we are getting them at the perfect time..
confidence to Ill means jacking everything... "the only bad 3 is the one you dont jack ".

they start 1 - 11 from 3 and we get out to an easy double-digit lead.
book it!

More realistic game plan, if the B1G season thus far is any indication:
Start the game with no energy and act like it's a walk in the park. Sink down into the lane on D to guard phantom Shaquille O'Neals, and let them launch uncontested 3-point shots as if it was shoot-around practice. Even though only 1 or 2 starters may be tired 5 minutes into the game, sub all 5 out and watch the second team struggle with no go-to players to rely on. Let Illinois stick around long enough to give them plenty of confidence they shouldn't have, while sapping all of your own, and play panic basketball most of the second half for a 50/50 W/L toss-up result.

I sure hope what I wrote above is only sarcasm THIS time around.

Top Bottom