Alvin Ellis commits to Gophers!

Who knows, maybe he will be an impact guy!
He is the type of guy who makes others better in practice. From what I've heard, he is a hard working guy who will make an impact even though it may go unseen. I'm excited that we landed him.

Rashad seems to be 3 times the player. Also at 6'5" or 6'6" i would expect Rashad to get lots of time at sf.

If we're fortunate enough to lang him then I agree, he'll probably play a lot at the 3, although there is little difference between the 2 and 3.

What seems to be missing in the conversation is that this guy has been a high priority recruit for over a year and Tubby landed him. I have no idea how good he is, but this was not a plan B or C recruit. It bodes well for the local recruiting if the trend continues that the staff gets the guys they want. In all the hand wringing about recruiting, especially with the local stars, what is often overlooked is that since Tubby arrived, he and his staff have landed every local guy they wanted at least to my knowledge. Granted, we have not had three top 30 recruits in Minnesota in one class to test that theory before, but the trend is encouraging. It is obvious they are avoiding the high maintenance players even if they have a lot of stars by their names, but they are getting the guys they want. That is encouraging and hopefully continues this year and into next year.

What seems to be missing in the conversation is that this guy has been a high priority recruit for over a year and Tubby landed him. I have no idea how good he is, but this was not a plan B or C recruit. It bodes well for the local recruiting if the trend continues that the staff gets the guys they want. In all the hand wringing about recruiting, especially with the local stars, what is often overlooked is that since Tubby arrived, he and his staff have landed every local guy they wanted at least to my knowledge. Granted, we have not had three top 30 recruits in Minnesota in one class to test that theory before, but the trend is encouraging. It is obvious they are avoiding the high maintenance players even if they have a lot of stars by their names, but they are getting the guys they want. That is encouraging and hopefully continues this year and into next year.

Holy Man.. you clearly didn't get the memo that the sky is falling...

I am excited about Ellis' commitment! Considering Tubby has been after him a year shows he has liked what he has seen. Also considering Butler offered him gives me even more confidence in him as they always seem to win with "underrated" guys! Welcome to the Gophers Alvin!

Couldn't have said it better.

Great recruit. I like that we landed somebody we've been chasing, and I like guys with the character and integrity to want to live up to their commitments at the high school they chose instead of transferring. I think frequently the motivational effect of guys like this and the poisonous effect of low-character players go understated, so I am proud to have Ellis in the maroon and gold.

Hello everyone,

I was a basketball manager for the men's basketball team from 2000-2003. I have been following this site since 2000 and have enjoyed hearing about recruiting updates and the team, in general. I have always wondered how we, the fans, can make a difference in recruiting and supporting Gopher basketball besides attending games and now think that we can do more than I initially thought. I am no expert when it comes to technology, but I do think we can make a difference by supporting players and recruits through social media like Twitter. I don't think we should stalk players, or annoy them, but I do think they feel good when they hear our support. I noticed that some fans are tweeting Nigel Hayes a lot, and that could help. I do, however, think that we should be "saying hello" to players like Alvin Hayes who seem to be really excited about coming to Minnesota. I would like to encourage you to get a Twitter account and given Alvin a warm welcome.

Hello everyone,

I was a basketball manager for the men's basketball team from 2000-2003. I have been following this site since 2000 and have enjoyed hearing about recruiting updates and the team, in general. I have always wondered how we, the fans, can make a difference in recruiting and supporting Gopher basketball besides attending games and now think that we can do more than I initially thought. I am no expert when it comes to technology, but I do think we can make a difference by supporting players and recruits through social media like Twitter. I don't think we should stalk players, or annoy them, but I do think they feel good when they hear our support. I noticed that some fans are tweeting Nigel Hayes a lot, and that could help. I do, however, think that we should be "saying hello" to players like Alvin Hayes who seem to be really excited about coming to Minnesota. I would like to encourage you to get a Twitter account and given Alvin a warm welcome.

I would strongly discourage anyone from ever speaking to any recruits on Twitter at any time. While not really enforced at all, it is technically a violation and could be grounds for some sort of sanctions if the NCAA ever decides to get serious about enforcing its social media restrictions.

Thank you for letting me know. I didn't know this.

I believe the rule is only if you are a booster is it against NCAA rules. Now, the majority of people who would tweet a recruit are probably boosters, but I am pretty sure that is the only way it is a violation. My understanding is that a booster is any person who directly or indirectly put even $0.01 into the U of M's pockets. Either via tuition, tickets, merchandise, or whatever else.

I'm assuming it's fine then once the player signs.

My understanding is yes. However, while Alvin Ellis has verballed to the Gophers. In the eyes of the NCAA he is still a "recruit" as there is no ink on paper.

My understanding is yes. However, while Alvin Ellis has verballed to the Gophers. In the eyes of the NCAA he is still a "recruit" as there is no ink on paper.

The answer is 'no'. Signing does nothing with regard to your status as a prospective student-athlete (PSA). You are a PSA for contact purposes until you begin a regular semester/quarter (i.e., for Minnesota players, the first day of classes for the fall semester). Whether you're uncommitted, verbally committed, signed to an NLI doesn't matter at all.

The answer is 'no'. Signing does nothing with regard to your status as a prospective student-athlete (PSA). You are a PSA for contact purposes until you begin a regular semester/quarter (i.e., for Minnesota players, the first day of classes for the fall semester). Whether you're uncommitted, verbally committed, signed to an NLI doesn't matter at all.

Very good. Thanks!

This is a good signing. I'm happy with this. Welcome to MN, Alvin!

Top Bottom