Alternative tailgate options?

Gopherdrummer

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever attempted to tailgate in "alternative" locations such as the Northrop Mall? Drive to campus, park in a garage, walk to a plot of grass on campus, set up a grill and start cooking? Anything? Even just bringing a chair and a cooler and enjoying campus again before heading to the game?

Does anyone know of any laws against this?

I have never seen anyone even try this

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever attempted to tailgate in "alternative" locations such as the Northrop Mall? Drive to campus, park in a garage, walk to a plot of grass on campus, set up a grill and start cooking? Anything? Even just bringing a chair and a cooler and enjoying campus again before heading to the game?

Does anyone know of any laws against this?

Not seen anyone try this even, but my assupmtion is that the UMPD would kick you out or make you move out and threaten a disorderly conduct or tresspassing ticket if you did not comply. It may be a public university but it is still private space run by University administration. I would not go anywhere near bringing an open conatiner of beer there or walking around with it like they do other University's, might sure get your butt tossed in the klink for that.

Do it sans beer and see what they say.

Edit: I'd ask norwood first.

The river flats could be a great atmosphere. I've always wondered why anyone chooses the State Fair Grounds and buses over the River Flats and a short walk through campus.

The river flats could be a great atmosphere. I've always wondered why anyone chooses the State Fair Grounds and buses over the River Flats and a short walk through campus.

Three best reasons I can come up with:
1) They don't know about it.
2) While it's a shorter walk, it contains a sizeable uphill/stair portion that wouldn't be good for folks with knee issues/etc.
3) People might think it's a pain to get to with the construction.

Seriously though, river flats are really awful. Worst spot to tailgate by far. If you haven't been there yet, don't go. Not worth your time.

I'm kidding, they rule, but I like the secret so far :)

Seriously though, river flats are really awful. Worst spot to tailgate by far. If you haven't been there yet, don't go. Not worth your time.

I heard it was closed due to some construction. Not even worth driving down there anymore.

I know there are Mpls rules against private citizens selling parking/tailgating. Is that the case in St. Paul? I always remember people selling parking for the State Fair. But, I guess I haven't been paying attention in recent years. Is that still the case? The reason I ask is because if St. Paul doesn't have a problem with it, and has been doing it for years... what makes Mpls so much smarter/safer?

I know there are Mpls rules against private citizens selling parking/tailgating. Is that the case in St. Paul? I always remember people selling parking for the State Fair. But, I guess I haven't been paying attention in recent years. Is that still the case? The reason I ask is because if St. Paul doesn't have a problem with it, and has been doing it for years... what makes Mpls so much smarter/safer?

Simple explanation. St. Paul was designed and run by the Irish. And we know what they like to do... /Jesse Ventura'd

Top Bottom