All this talk about a difficult schedule?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I'll admit, I too have been guilty of pointing out the difficulty of our 2009 schedule. But the more I think about it, it is no harder than next year's and not terribly harder than 2006.

Here's a side by side comparison of 2009 and 2010:
Syracuse/TBA - who knows (BTW when are we going to fill this hole?)
Air Force/UNLV - both mid level Mountain West teams but AFA is better
Cal/USC - Cal hasn't been to the Rose Bowl since 1959 - 2010 is tougher
South Dakota State/South Dakota - uhhhhh:rolleyes:
Conference games are EXACTLY the same.
So, I would say that it depends on who fills the TBA spot. I definately don't think 2010 will be any easier of a schedule that 2009.

Plus, we lose at least 7 senior starters (Decker, Kuznia, Tow-Arnett, Eric Small, Simoni Lawrence, Sherrels and BPT) in 2010.

So I think 2009 is really the year that we need to take another big step forward. Enough of this "we can still be a better team even if we only win 6 games" stuff. If we only win 6 games in 2009, 2010 might look awfully frightening.

The conference games aren't the same, they are flipped home/away. The tough part of this year is OSU/PSU away back to back. They will still be tough games, but being at home makes a big difference.

I'm also not sure what 2006 has to do with this season since our key players this season were not contributors in '06, we had a different coaching staff with a different scheme, our B10 opponents were different, etc, etc.

I'll admit, I too have been guilty of pointing out the difficulty of our 2009 schedule. But the more I think about it, it is no harder than next year's and not terribly harder than 2006.

Here's a side by side comparison of 2009 and 2010:
Syracuse/TBA - who knows (BTW when are we going to fill this hole?)
Air Force/UNLV - both mid level Mountain West teams but AFA is better
Cal/USC - Cal hasn't been to the Rose Bowl since 1959 - 2010 is tougher
South Dakota State/South Dakota - uhhhhh:rolleyes:
Conference games are EXACTLY the same.
So, I would say that it depends on who fills the TBA spot. I definately don't think 2010 will be any easier of a schedule that 2009.

I agree. The conference opponents will be the same, but the venue is different. For example, I'm pretty much conceding a Gopher victory over Purdue this year at TCF. Next year in "West Laugh At It"? Not so much. I would set the over/under at 7 wins for this year's squad and next year is next year. It's way too early to determine SOS.

I realize that we swap home and away locations in conference play, but in some ways I still think this year's is easier when viewed as a whole.

Call me defeatist, but I think a win against Ohio State and Penn State are no more likely at home (next year) than on the road (this year). On the other hand, I think victories over Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan State and Illinois will definately be easier at home (this year) than on the road.

Don't get me wrong, I think this year's schedule is plenty though. My point is that we've had tough schedules before (2006) and we'll have them again (2010). I just don't want to convince myself that 2009 is so difficult that we should take solice in a mediocre year - especially given the experience we are putting on the field for the 1st time in several years.

I realize that we swap home and away locations in conference play, but in some ways I still think this year's is easier when viewed as a whole.

Call me defeatist, but I think a win against Ohio State and Penn State are no more likely at home (next year) than on the road (this year). On the other hand, I think victories over Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan State and Illinois will definately be easier at home (this year) than on the road.

Don't get me wrong, I think this year's schedule is plenty though. My point is that we've had tough schedules before (2006) and we'll have them again (2010). I just don't want to convince myself that 2009 is so difficult that we should take solice in a mediocre year - especially given the experience we are putting on the field for the 1st time in several years.

I don't get the 2006 schedule as being that tough. We did get creamed by Cal. I don't think a non-conference line-up containing Kent State, Temple and North Dakota State can be considered particularly tough. Especially when we beat Kent State and Temple by a combined score of 106-0.

I don't get the 2006 schedule as being that tough. We did get creamed by Cal. I don't think a non-conference line-up containing Kent State, Temple and North Dakota State can be considered particularly tough. Especially when we beat Kent State and Temple by a combined score of 106-0.

A couple of reasons.

I think Cal 2006 = Cal 2009 (they were ranked #22 at the time - about where I see them on 9/19)
We missed Illinois and Northwestern in 2006 (who were a combined 3-13 in conference play)... meaning we played the harder teams in the conference - so the conference schedule was the same or harder in 2006.
So that leaves...
Syracuse versus Temple - Syracuse is clearly better.
Air Force versus Kent State - AFA is clearly better.
NDSU versus SDSU - NDSU is MUCH better (and may actually be more comparable to Syracuse).

So you're right, 2006 wasn't as difficult as 2009 will be - but it is probably the most difficult schedule we played (IMO) since the days of Wacker.

Again, my point is that 2009 is not the most difficult schedule ever conceived by the Gods of college football. We have played difficult scheduled before and we'll play them again.

A few things, this is probably the best Cal team since Tedford has been there. Barring an unexpected loss in their first two games they should be ranked 10-15 when they come to town.

I actually think winning at OSU projects to be easier this year than beating them at home in 2010. Another year of experience for TP plus a lot of players (Wells, Hartline, Robiskie, Lauranitis, Freeman, Jenkins) are being replaced by juniors that should be back in 2010. Obviously it is just a projection so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

PSU could go either way when they have to break in 3 new WR's, 3 new OL, and 4 new DB's this year or next year when they have a new soph or fresh QB, potentially 2 new LB's, a new DT, and Royster will be gone but Stephfon Green is a stud.

Some of these teams that appear so difficult now won't be as good as people believe--Wisconsin (preseason top ~10), Michigan (obvious), Purdue (Bowl team in '07), and Illinois (coming off the Rose Bowl) weren't near as good in 2008 as expected. Some of the other teams will outperform.

I really think we can be 6-0 when we head to Penn State.

Go Gophers, I don't think a victory over Illinois will come easy for you at all. You may win, but remember that Illinois ran up over 500 yards of offense against you last year but turned the ball over too much. Without the turnovers, the game is probably an easy UI win. The venue is not as important as the turnovers in any game. imo

I can tell you that Illinois fans look at the Minnesota game last year as a game that should have been a pretty easy win at home. But that is why they play the games, as they say.

Go Gophers, I don't think a victory over Illinois will come easy for you at all. You may win, but remember that Illinois ran up over 500 yards of offense against you last year but turned the ball over too much. Without the turnovers, the game is probably an easy UI win. The venue is not as important as the turnovers in any game. imo

I can tell you that Illinois fans look at the Minnesota game last year as a game that should have been a pretty easy win at home. But that is why they play the games, as they say.

At some point you have to give the defense credit for making plays.

1st turnover: Dufrene fumbled it on a soft strip from a penetrating DT. While it was good penetration it was a freakish bad play by Dufrene. Chalk that up to a mistake by Illinois.

2nd "TO"--turnover on downs: tackled Juice at the 1 on 2nd down, stuffed the 3rd down and then stopped Juice on an spread read option. Replays clearly showed he was short of the goal line which is why it was reversed. Score one for the Gophers defense making a play.

3rd turnover--Van De Steeg beats the RT and strips the ball from Juice. Simoni Lawrence strolls by and picks up the loose ball on his way in to the end zone. Score another for the Gophers defense causing a TO and converting it for points.

4th turnover--Illinois driving down the field and Van De Steeg beat the RT again and puts a hit on Juice as he is releasing the ball. The ball flutters up in the air and in to the arms of a CB that reacts to the ball more quickly than an Illinois WR. Score a third one for the Gophers defense causeing a TO.

I can understand the frustration of Illinois fans but at the end of the day the Gophers earned that victory by causing turnovers moreso than Illinois gave it away by making unforced errors.

I really think we can be 6-0 when we head to Penn State.
I agree even if it isn't likely. Can't wait to find out if we're right. I like our team this year significantly more than last year.

Here's how I'd order the difficulty of those first six potential wins:
California -- offensive weapons, Pac 10 challenger
Air Force -- a tricky team on a big day
Wisconsin -- for some reason I just know we're going to beat them
@Northwestern -- secret is out with Kafka, loss of key playmakers
@Syracuse -- first game, relatively unknown opponent
Purdue -- homecoming, and their cupboard is looking bare

Top Bottom