All Things Way to early 2017-18 top 25 (Gophers ranked as high as #10!!)

Shut up, Myron.

You know Myron didn't write this because there's actually some accurate analysis. Myron would have just written about how terrible the facilities are, the weather, and the scandals.

Bleacher Report chimes in: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...kings-2017-18-super-early-top-25-experts-poll

14. Minnesota Golden Gophers

Noteworthy Departures: Akeem Springs

Noteworthy Arrivals: Davonte Fitzgerald (Texas A&M transfer)

Projected Starting Five: Nate Mason, Dupree McBrayer, Jordan Murphy, Amir Coffey, Reggie Lynch

Why They're Here: Despite getting bounced by Middle Tennessee in the first round of the NCAA tournament, Minnesota was the biggest surprise success story of the 2016-17 season. The Golden Gophers went from 8-23 to 24-10 while finishing above .500 in Big Ten play for the first time since 2005.

Six of their primary seven guys should be back for another season, including shot-blocking phenom Reggie Lynch. The Illinois State transfer made Minnesota an elite defense just one year after it struggled to keep any opponent from scoring.

Will Change If... Isaiah Washington becomes a can't-miss star. Minnesota doesn't often get top-100 recruits, but both Amir Coffey and Eric Curry lived up to the hype this past season. If Scout's No. 64 overall player (Washington) stirs up some buzz as an immediate-impact player, it'll give the Golden Gophers just enough to profile as a possible Big Ten champ.

Alternatively, Minnesota could drop out of the Top 25 picture altogether by losing a key transfer. This team has no backcourt depth and doesn't have any obvious candidates for a breakout season. Losing one guy to the transfer market could be disastrous.

I put this list together yesterday, so not all will be included. This list is compiled from ESPN, CBS, SI, Sporting News, Fox Sports, NBC Sports and FanRag Sports. I basically took the list and compiled a composite top 25 using those outlets' top 25. The list is below:

Parenthesis indicates the number of first place votes.

1. Louisville(2)
2. Duke
3. North Carolina
4. Arizona(3)
t5. Kentucky(1)
t5. Kansas(1)
7. Michigan State
8. Villanova
9. Wichita State
10. Gonzaga
11. Florida
12. Minnesota
13. West Virginia
14. USC
15. Cincinnati
16. UCLA
17. Notre Dame
18. Miami
19. Saint Mary's
20. Northwestern
21. Butler
t22. Xavier
t22. Virginia
24. Alabama
25. Baylor

Other Receiving Votes: Seton Hall, Virginia Tech, Oregon, South Carolina, Michigan, SMU, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Creighton, BYU, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Purdue, TCU, Maryland, Nevada.

Sports Illustrated

Good ranked #10 in SI's most recent issue for teams to challenge for the Natty! High regard!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Gopher Basketball 2018 Ranked #10!

In the way too early rankings, Seth Smith had the Gophers ranked number 10 and a contender for the national title next year! Of course rankings mean nothing, but it is nice to see that type of recognition for the program. Maybe that will help them get the third nice recruit? https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/05/way-too-early-top-25-power-rankings

Awesome thread title; thanks for the link!
You are right, it was a horrible post. I was in a hurry and predictive text messed it up, as well. My apologies. Reposted!

Top Bottom