All things TCU

I was thinking more of screens and throws to the flat after the wr goes deep plays that are designed to force them into base coverage against our taller wideouts. You should then have at least one wideout in single coverage for the deep ball.

I was thinking more of screens and throws to the flat after the wr goes deep plays that are designed to force them into base coverage against our taller wideouts. You should then have at least one wideout in single coverage for the deep ball.

If a) our tall wideouts go get the ball the way many reports say they do; b) TCU is most vulnerable to the deep ball; and c) our OL plays better and gives Mitch a bit more time...I think we have a chance to take what they give us and score a bunch. I can't wait to see if our skill positions are improved as much as I'm led to believe.

We will still have enough power to thump them with Williams and Mitch, and compliment that with some zip. I'm also excited about a formation with Streveler, JJ, KJ, and Berkley. I can't seem to find that thread that had the m.p.h. times for our skill guys... I know Myrick and Berkely are the fastest, and Streveler is in the top 5, but who are the others in our top 10?

If a) our tall wideouts go get the ball the way many reports say they do; b) TCU is most vulnerable to the deep ball; and c) our OL plays better and gives Mitch a bit more time...I think we have a chance to take what they give us and score a bunch. I can't wait to see if our skill positions are improved as much as I'm led to believe.

We will still have enough power to thump them with Williams and Mitch, and compliment that with some zip. I'm also excited about a formation with Streveler, JJ, KJ, and Berkley. I can't seem to find that thread that had the m.p.h. times for our skill guys... I know Myrick and Berkely are the fastest, and Streveler is in the top 5, but who are the others in our top 10?

The TCU board along with your comment about giving Mitch time got me thinking... What if Mitch has been working on getting a quicker release and the practice with the so called hurry-up offense has given him the ability to read routes and defenses quicker making it unnecessary for the OL to have to work extra hard to give him all that time?

If the QB is only taking a few seconds to read, assess, and act then there is no need for the OL to hold off (TCU and Boykin). I think this is where Strevler does a nice job and why he is a good running QB. He is quick to make the decision and act.

I think this is the year we break out the flea-flicker. I'm thinking 6 or 7 a game, most going to a tackle-eligible receiver. TCU won't know what hit them.

I got a little extra fired up on the way home from work the other day listening to Chris Childers and Gino Toretta on the radio. Both were saying that TCU's opener at Minnesota is "not a gimme." But then I tempered my enthusiasm when I thought about Toretta - he is always calling the PSU QB "Hackenberger." A small mistake, but it made me doubt his research. Go Gophers!

With Plsek likely out for TCU, will this game finally be the coming out party for Wozniak? #YearOfTheWoz

1200190.JPG

With Plsek likely out for TCU, will this game finally be the coming out party for Wozniak? #YearOfTheWoz

View attachment 3742

I would love the see #YearOfTheWoz. Being 6'6" myself, I don't see a 6'10" guy couldn't come down with some big catches against a 5'10" safety.

Speaking of, here he is towering over 6'6" Moses Alipate:

TheWoz2.jpg

Kill has said a few times that Wozniak is one of the most improved players on the team.

Somewhat. You've got a Free Safety that plays center field, then a Weak and Strong Safety that are more like hybrid safety/linebacker types... Fast athletic guys who can cover in the slot and lay the wood on the run.

Ah. I can see why that sort of D would be good against the run but might get lit up by somebody that can trot out an accurate QB and 4 speedy WRs (such as yourself or Baylor). Unfortunately that's not us, at least not for another 2 years or so.

However, I still think the TCU fans (at least on their own boards) don't understand what they're walking into. I hope the TCU team is thinking similarly, and judging by Patterson's recent comments and behavior he's having to try like heck to snap them out of that thinking.

So basically you play 8 in the box?

Otherwise it seems counterintuitive that a nickel defense is stronger against the run.

TCU's 4-2-5 isn't really a traditional nickel. It's closer to our nickel package with 3 safeties. But its strength against the run is largely because the safeties play heavy run support roles even out of a cover 2/4 shell look. You don't need 8 in the box if your DBs come screaming downhill.

TCU's 4-2-5 isn't really a traditional nickel. It's closer to our nickel package with 3 safeties. But its strength against the run is largely because the safeties play heavy run support roles even out of a cover 2/4 shell look. You don't need 8 in the box if your DBs come screaming downhill.

Makes sense. Surprising that they would play a scheme that leaves them more vulnerable to the deep ball when their primary conference rivals are good passing teams. I guess the scheme suggests they would rather get into shootouts than give up long, time consuming drives.

Just saw on the TCU board they are expecting around 3,000 fans to travel. A lot of those chose to pick up tickets on the secondary market and living social so they won't really be all together. FWIW

My feeling is the 2015 Gophers match up with anyone in CFB, it all comes down to what happens on game day. How they perform that day, injuries, turnovers, breaks, yada yada. I don't necessarily think our talent level is lacking, or the want-to is lacking. It's all about intensity & match-ups on game day. It's hard to play catch up with a ball control offense, so if our D can contain their juggernaut offense, & they don't get an early big lead, we have a chance, a good chance. Special teams will be crucial, and if we break out on offense with more than we've had in past years under Kill, we should be able to keep it close. My hope is that Limey doesn't go all conservative and predictable. Hope he pulls out all the stops and lets it flow... Think our D will be fine.

Just saw on the TCU board they are expecting around 3,000 fans to travel. A lot of those chose to pick up tickets on the secondary market and living social so they won't really be all together. FWIW

If history holds, I'd guess around 3,500-4k, most of whom probably bought their tix through TCU via visiting team allotment, with a few others going the stubhub route.

per FSN:

Jerry Kill is constantly receiving pep talks these days, all over the University of Minnesota's campus.

The motivational speeches aren't needed, however. With a date against powerful TCU fastly approaching, Kill's already anxious enough as it is.

". . . If I walk outside the door here and go down here to get a Starbucks coffee, I have about three or four people say, 'Hey, Coach, good luck against TCU, hey, we're going to be there,'" Kill told reporters on Saturday. "About everywhere I go, I think people are excited. I think the state is excited."

Yes, the Gophers, coming off their first trip to a January bowl game since 1962, have quite the season-opening clash next Thursday at 8 p.m. TCU won 12 games a year ago and is ranked No. 2 in both the AP and USA TODAY national preseason polls.

Kill is trying to view the nationally televised game as a welcomed challenge. His Gophers squad appears to be receptive to his message.

"I think it soaked into our players, as soon as the offseason started, that we were going to open up with somebody that was either going to be No. 1 or No. 2 in the country," Kill noted, "so our work habits were different. I think it helped us out tremendously."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...-for-big-test-vs-no-2-tcu-horned-frogs-082915

Go Gophers!!

TCU Fans, does the media keep pretty tight lipped about injuries down there? Haven't heard much regarding injuring but saw some speculation on guys like Pierson, Tuaua and Gray. Got any updates for us?
TCU fan looking forward to getting up to Minnesota this weekend for the game. I've enjoyed reading your board the last couple of years in anticipation of our games.

We are thinner at the wide receiver position than we thought we would be. Deante Grey had surgery on his ACL & Cameron Echols-Luper transferred to play quarterback at Arkansas State. Probably our third and fourth best WRs and these guys were some of our fastest players but we are deep at WR and have quality backups. Three of our starting d-linemen were in walking boots last week but it seems that for at least two it was for precautionary reasons only and they have since returned to practice. Davion Pierson who IMO is our best player on defense hasn't practiced for a week but my guess is that he will play. Except for the two WRs, it looks like we come into the game fairly healthy.

TCU fan looking forward to getting up to Minnesota this weekend for the game. I've enjoyed reading your board the last couple of years in anticipation of our games.

We are thinner at the wide receiver position than we thought we would be. Deante Grey had surgery on his ACL & Cameron Echols-Luper transferred to play quarterback at Arkansas State. Probably our third and fourth best WRs and these guys were some of our fastest players but we are deep at WR and have quality backups. Three of our starting d-linemen were in walking boots last week but it seems that for at least two it was for precautionary reasons only and they have since returned to practice. Davion Pierson who IMO is our best player on defense hasn't practiced for a week but my guess is that he will play. Except for the two WRs, it looks like we come into the game fairly healthy.

Good, I don't want there to be excuses when we beat you! Just kidding. Hope you enjoy your trip to MN and the game. Looks like you will be bringing the hot weather up with you so you should feel right at home

If history holds, I'd guess around 3,500-4k, most of whom probably bought their tix through TCU via visiting team allotment, with a few others going the stubhub route.

Typical visitor allotment is 3K I believe, so sounds like visitor turnout at TCF will be pretty typical (for a non-Wisconsin, non-Iowa game). Might look a littler smaller because it sounds like the stadium overall will be packed more than usual, though obviously the crowd will only be a factor if the team makes it a game on the field.

TCU fans, what does the backup QB situation look like?

As of last week, per Patterson, it's walk-on Senior QB Bram Kohlhausen, who took up QB2 around mid-season in 2014 when Senior backup QB Matt Joeckel's career ended in the 82-27 blowout of Texas Tech (for what it's worth, we used 4 quarterbacks in that game--Tech really was just that bad).

But, as mentioned above, there are a lot of people expecting, or maybe hoping, it turns out to be Foster Sawyer who trots out onto the field the first time QB2 is called on this year. He was highly recruited and is a RS Freshman out of Fort Worth. TCU had to fend off Nick Saban to land him.

Bottom line: it doesn't really matter. The gap between Boykin and whoever is next is significant. If Boykin gets hurt, it's a whole different kind of season for TCU. Hopefully we only see our backup, whoever it turns out to be, in mop up time.

The closer we get, the better I'm feeling about this game....Kill has said Mitch has been playing his best football ever, we have 6-7 legitimate WRs... and TCU really didn't play well last year against Kansas or WVU, their only 2 road games outside of Texas.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Well, I usually try to hate our opponent on game week but can't bring myself to hate y'all. I really enjoyed and was impressed by the Gopher fans last year and am looking forward to getting up to Minneapolis on Wednesday night and enjoying a great night of football on Thursday. Feeling very confident about my Frogs---I just get a feeling our offense can't be outscored--too many weapons at WR and RB (deep threats with guys like Listenbee and Doctson, a great slot receiver in Slanina, and Green and Johnson at RB are beasts). That said, Kill is an outstanding coach and the Gophers' secondary will be a great test. We have no clue what to expect from you guys on offense and whether Leidner is going to be able to pick on our inexperienced secondary. Strange things can happen to highly-ranked teams on the road on Thursday nights--especially against competitive, well-coached teams. Good luck to the Gophers this week. I'll be pulling for y'all all season except for Thursday. Thanks in advance for being great hosts.

Well, I usually try to hate our opponent on game week but can't bring myself to hate y'all. I really enjoyed and was impressed by the Gopher fans last year and am looking forward to getting up to Minneapolis on Wednesday night and enjoying a great night of football on Thursday. Feeling very confident about my Frogs---I just get a feeling our offense can't be outscored--too many weapons at WR and RB (deep threats with guys like Listenbee and Doctson, a great slot receiver in Slanina, and Green and Johnson at RB are beasts). That said, Kill is an outstanding coach and the Gophers' secondary will be a great test. We have no clue what to expect from you guys on offense and whether Leidner is going to be able to pick on our inexperienced secondary. Strange things can happen to highly-ranked teams on the road on Thursday nights--especially against competitive, well-coached teams. Good luck to the Gophers this week. I'll be pulling for y'all all season except for Thursday. Thanks in advance for being great hosts.

Good luck to you as well, and enjoy your time in Minneapolis. Hoping we can keep it close enough to have a shot in the 4th quarter.

Top Bottom