All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

I think the magic 8-ball they use to make their decision broke. Amazon.com is a little behind on their orders so it may be a little bit longer.

So what you are saying is it's obama's fault since he won't let amazon use drones.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> coach Jerry Kill said running back recruit Jeff Jones could be a partial qualifier but needs to be cleare... <a href="http://t.co/L71VgyLZsj">http://t.co/L71VgyLZsj</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/494115270295052288">July 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good info, thanks. This doesn't seem to apply to Jones at all, as the partial qualifier standards are for athletes with decent GPAs and exceptionally poor standardized test scores. Based on what information has leaked about Jones, he has the opposite problem, with decent standardized test scores and a poor GPA. The lowest GPA listed on the partial qualifier table is 2.525, which Jones seemingly isn't close to based on what's been bandied about.

PiPress: Jerry Kill: Gophers plan to have Jeff Jones in school this semester

Highly touted Gophers running back recruit Jeff Jones is finishing summer school and hopes to eligible to play this season. If not, Minnesota coach Jerry Kill said Tuesday, the U will file an appeal to the NCAA.

"Either he'll be a partial or full qualifier," Kill said. "He's like (former Gophers running back Laurence Maroney). You don't let guys like that get out of here."

As a partial qualifier, Jones could attend Minnesota on scholarship and participate in practice.

Jones, a four-star prospect and Minnesota's Mr. Football from Washburn High School last year, didn't receive a qualifying ACT score this summer. But he's been trying to improve his grades in two online classes, which will be judged on a sliding scale in conjunction with his ACT score, so he can be eligible to play this season.

Kill said the NCAA Clearinghouse still has to make a decision on Jones' eligibility. Kill said the U is ready to send a letter to the NCAA explaining Jones' circumstances.

"That letter talks about all the things that Jeff has gone through in his life," Kill said. "Then, they'll make an ultimate decision there, and we'll see what happens. There's more to it than just the clearinghouse."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

It also says at the bottom of the article that he and his family have declined the option of playing at a JUCO for two years at Iowa Western. Sounds like good news!

I thought the Big Ten had a rule against partial qualifiers. When did they change that rule?

PiPress: Jerry Kill: Gophers plan to have Jeff Jones in school this semester

Highly touted Gophers running back recruit Jeff Jones is finishing summer school and hopes to eligible to play this season. If not, Minnesota coach Jerry Kill said Tuesday, the U will file an appeal to the NCAA.

"Either he'll be a partial or full qualifier," Kill said. "He's like (former Gophers running back Laurence Maroney). You don't let guys like that get out of here."

As a partial qualifier, Jones could attend Minnesota on scholarship and participate in practice.

Jones, a four-star prospect and Minnesota's Mr. Football from Washburn High School last year, didn't receive a qualifying ACT score this summer. But he's been trying to improve his grades in two online classes, which will be judged on a sliding scale in conjunction with his ACT score, so he can be eligible to play this season.

Kill said the NCAA Clearinghouse still has to make a decision on Jones' eligibility. Kill said the U is ready to send a letter to the NCAA explaining Jones' circumstances.

"That letter talks about all the things that Jeff has gone through in his life," Kill said. "Then, they'll make an ultimate decision there, and we'll see what happens. There's more to it than just the clearinghouse."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

This seems like good news. If Jones can't play this year so be it, as long as we get him on campus it's a win in my book.

Well, for Jeff's sake, I hope he can get in and be able to really focus on academics. I certainly am hoping he will be able to succeed both on AND off the field!

Well, for Jeff's sake, I hope he can get in and be able to really focus on academics. I certainly am hoping he will be able to succeed both on AND off the field!

+1. Simply stated, but really all that needs to be said on this whole topic.

OK, upon further review, I believe this may be an outdated link. This article:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...shman-ricky-ledo-ruled-partial-qualifier-ncaa

states that Ricky Ledo, a Providence basketball player, would have four years of eligibility remaining after sitting out of competition his freshman year. The PDF states that partial qualifiers only have three. Either the author of the article was confused as to the rules, or they don't apply anymore. The plot thickens...

OK, upon further review, I believe this may be an outdated link. This article:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...shman-ricky-ledo-ruled-partial-qualifier-ncaa

states that Ricky Ledo, a Providence basketball player, would have four years of eligibility remaining after sitting out of competition his freshman year. The PDF states that partial qualifiers only have three. Either the author of the article was confused as to the rules, or they don't apply anymore. The plot thickens...

I definitely hope that in this instance, I am wrong!

Kill made reference to "he needs to get that stuff in..." when referencing submitting the paperwork to the NCAA "...and then we can get to work from there" (not verbatim) Any concern that Jeff isn't getting his stuff turned in? I feel like everything we've read has said we are waiting on the clearing house? Are they waiting on Jeff? Probably impossible to tell with all the conflicting reports.

Anyone familiar with the "he's like Laurence Maroney" comment? What did we have to do with Laurence?

This is some positive news in that it sounds like JKill is all in on JJ coming into the program THIS year. I think a great scenario, as someone wrote it earlier, would be for JJ to redshirt this year and let Cobb and Co. do the heavy lifting. Next year JJ can be a feature back with a supporting cast of upper class men.

Kill made reference to "he needs to get that stuff in..." when referencing submitting the paperwork to the NCAA "...and then we can get to work from there" (not verbatim) Any concern that Jeff isn't getting his stuff turned in? I feel like everything we've read has said we are waiting on the clearing house? Are they waiting on Jeff? Probably impossible to tell with all the conflicting reports.

Anyone familiar with the "he's like Laurence Maroney" comment? What did we have to do with Laurence?

This is some positive news in that it sounds like JKill is all in on JJ coming into the program THIS year. I think a great scenario, as someone wrote it earlier, would be for JJ to redshirt this year and let Cobb and Co. do the heavy lifting. Next year JJ can be a feature back with a supporting cast of upper class men.

I hope I'm not being too optimistic, but if there were problems, JK would have said something like, "we don't comment on the status of qualifiers, it's in the hands of the NCAA and until both Jeff and the NCAA let us release the information, we won't comment".

But JK, (usually tight lipped) mentions some positive movement or even what his status will likely be, I'm feeling very good about this. JK will not embarrass himself or the program on something like this if there wasn't a very good chance of success.

This morning, I was 50/50, I'm 60/40 now. After I have a margarita tonight, I'm sure I'll be 70/30.

There is no such thing as a partial qualifier.

What IS possible is this:
Gophers will seek a partial waiver. Jones would be a nonqualifier, but might be allowed to receive athletic financial aid and/or practice (but not play) with the team.

It appears this is the case:
Minnesota wants to argue the NCAA should give Jones a pass because of his life situation/circumstances. In order to do so, they (Minnesota) need information from Jones first, but they have not yet received it.

Based on certain other cases, the prospects for him to be a qualifier seem remote. Nonqualifiers getting partial waivers does happen, but not so much with this type of academic fact pattern. The argument will likely be that his grades/scores are down because of tough things outside of his control and he'll do fine once enrolled at the U.

Tough to call, but seems more unlikely than likely.

Whatever the case, he will not be a partial qualifier because they don't exist, despite what Kill and the traditional media say.

I hope I'm not being too optimistic, but if there were problems, JK would have said something like, "we don't comment on the status of qualifiers, it's in the hands of the NCAA and until both Jeff and the NCAA let us release the information, we won't comment".

But JK, (usually tight lipped) mentions some positive movement or even what his status will likely be, I'm feeling very good about this. JK will not embarrass himself or the program on something like this if there wasn't a very good chance of success.

This morning, I was 50/50, I'm 60/40 now. After I have a margarita tonight, I'm sure I'll be 70/30.

There is no such thing as a partial qualifier.

What IS possible is this:
Gophers will seek a partial waiver. Jones would be a nonqualifier, but might be allowed to receive athletic financial aid and/or practice (but not play) with the team.

It appears this is the case:
Minnesota wants to argue the NCAA should give Jones a pass because of his life situation/circumstances. In order to do so, they (Minnesota) need information from Jones first, but they have not yet received it.

Based on certain other cases, the prospects for him to be a qualifier seem remote. Nonqualifiers getting partial waivers does happen, but not so much with this type of academic fact pattern. The argument will likely be that his grades/scores are down because of tough things outside of his control and he'll do fine once enrolled at the U.

Tough to call, but seems more unlikely than likely.

Whatever the case, he will not be a partial qualifier because they don't exist, despite what Kill and the traditional media say.

98/2 now? ;)

Thanks GW, I have to take everyone at their word, because I don't know and I don't know how to look it up. You got a source for this bit of educating you just posted to quell the haters?

I refuse to be anything but pure POLLYANNA, so I've pretty much bought my jersey and put him as a fathead on my wall already.

Thanks GW. I think you've pretty much nailed it right on the head.

If there's one thing we've learned about Division I institutions (Minny included) with regards to their desire to get talented athletes on the field, if in doubt, file a waiver.

I agree with the theory that JK is very cautious about what he says and there is a reason he has changed his responses in the positive direction.

The fact that Jeff has declined an opportunity to play at Iowa Western is the best news we have heard in quite some time. Makes me excited! Very, very slim chance that we have to end up re-recruiting him or that he would only get 2 years of eligibility with the U.

So if he doesn't get a "partial qualifier" or "non qualifier with partial a approval" granted then would the U just except him as a normal student since he isn't playing at IWCC or would he change his mind and play Juco if we don't get that appeal approved?

not some of the b.s. hyperbole and speculative crap like we have in this thread

Oh no, fans speculating about their favorite team. Not that, anything but that. The Horror! Cats and Dogs Living Together!!!

As I read it, Jeff has the grades, if the Clearinghouse accepts the online classes. If they don't, the U will file an appeal, the documentation is in the process of being prepared. So we are right back at waiting for the Clearinghouse.

Jerry Kill is calling in every NCAA marker he has to get this done. This will go JK's way.

Top Bottom