All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

@GophersNow
Junior RB Jeff Jones tells GopherIllustrated: "Wanted to be a part of something special and I think we can do that here." Committed Jan. 6.

Excellent. Even if its a soft commit it indicates we are at least in the game for a stud back.

Our 2014 Offense:

QB: Phillip Nelson
RB: Jeff Jones, Berkley Edwards
WR: Andre McDonald, Jamel Harbison, Drew Wolitarsky
TE: Maxx Williams

WOW!

Personally I would think that Roderick Williams would have a major leg up on Jones and Edwards for being the major contributor at RB in 2014.

quote from the GI article:

"I grew up here in Twin Cities hearing about great running backs like Lawrence Maroney and Marion Barber III and I want to be a guy like that for the Gophers one day."

God I hope so
ಠ__ಠ

My brain is telling me to temper my excitement, that it's a year out and my heart has been broken before. But my heart says "WOOOOOO!!!!"

Excellent. Even if its a soft commit it indicates we are at least in the game for a stud back.

Aren't they all soft verbals until they fax in the signed forms on signing day. I assume it is soft only because he hasn't taken an official visit at this point.

Great news! Extremely excited to have Mr. Jones as our first commit for 2014; lead the way to excellence!!

Aren't they all soft verbals until they fax in the signed forms on signing day. I assume it is soft only because he hasn't taken an official visit at this point.

No, assume that Grant thinks it's soft because he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. Rivals profile shows a solid verbal. The interviews that he is given make it seem solid. But these are high school kids so nothing is a guarantee. We are much more than "in the game" for Mr. Jones.

My brain is telling me to temper my excitement, that it's a year out and my heart has been broken before. But my heart says "WOOOOOO!!!!"

Anhhhhhhh just let it go! Be excited Gopher fans! I'm feeling better that he's a MN guy and said he wants to be here. A winning year this year will just solidify his commit.

Personally I would think that Roderick Williams would have a major leg up on Jones and Edwards for being the major contributor at RB in 2014.

Regardless. Those guys will all be there for 2015 as well. I've already got that year pinned as our "knock off Ohio State" year.

Hopefully he can Graduate early and enroll next spring
Eh...of all the positions on the team, runningback is probably the least necessary to have the extra spring practices. Other than blocking schemes (which is still basically "block this guy"), the playbook mostly involves taking the ball and running. It also necessitates the least amount of physical development. That's why so many freshman are able to contribute early.

The best reason to have him enroll early would simply be to lock down his commitment.

quote from the GI article:

"I grew up here in Twin Cities hearing about great running backs like Lawrence Maroney and Marion Barber III and I want to be a guy like that for the Gophers one day."

God I hope so

I didn't even catch that at first. In all fairness, that's a mistake by whoever wrote the article and not Mr. Jones.

I didn't even catch that at first. In all fairness, that's a mistake by whoever wrote the article and not Mr. Jones.
No, I figured as much. It's totally excusable if Jeff was making the mistake (it's a peculiar spelling, after all). However, if you're a writer for GI and you don't know how to spell the name of one of the best Gophers of all time? C'mon....

He sure looks like a gifted RB, he's got some shades of AP and Demarco Murray in him. And don't jump down my throat for comparing him to someone, I'M NOT SAYING HE'LL BE AS GOOD/IS AS GOOD AS EITHER OF THEM, some people don't seem to understand that concept.

very very excited about his commitment, sends message to other in state kids as well. welcome aboard Jeff!

As an out-stater, what's the level of competition Washburn faces?

As an out-stater, what's the level of competition Washburn faces?

I couldn't tell you for sure but my hometown, Waseca, beat them this past season and we went 4-5 in AAA, so the team overall isn't very good.

I couldn't tell you for sure but my hometown, Waseca, beat them this past season and we went 4-5 in AAA, so the team overall isn't very good.
They were 6-3, but lost all of their OOC games. They lost by 7 to Holy Family in the first round of the playoffs. Holy Family was in the Prep Bowl, but they got pasted by Hutch.

So does a quality player like Jones signing early help recruiting for 2014? Maybe in a small way that its showing 4-Star recruits are starting to sign and may raise an eyebrow or two from future recruits.

Can we have a mod combine the Jones threads...who felt the need to bring this one back??

It's mostly soft because he says that he'll still be visiting other schools to compare them to Minnesota.

Top Bottom