All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

I think you answered your own question. (Okay, you didn't ask a question.) But I'm sure he didn't make the statement earlier because he was in the process of learning more and he waited until he heard something he didn't like. Or maybe Bama heard something they didn't like.

I do think it's odd that so many people here are quick to read Pitino's statement as a stern declaration that he's not going anywhere. Clearly, he's not going to Alabama, and that probably means he's not leaving during this offseason. The statement, while better than nothing and helpful, does a great job of saying nothing.

It's really not odd. How many coaches have released a statement like that and then left that same off season? I have no info on that, but I bet it rarely happens, if ever.

This statement doesn't promise anything past next year. The circus will resume after next year, but it's pretty safe to breathe at least for this year.

You fans who doubt he's staying even after a statement that he's happy in Minnesota is ridiculous. Seriously, he's not going anywhere this year and possibly in the near future. If the statement and Pitino Sr. saying they are doing a 3 YEAR home-and-home series with MN then I don't know what will convince you crazy people that he is planning on staying here for at least the near future.

What the hell does "heavily in the mix" mean? Interest by Alabama, interest by both?

Still not convinced that the guy isn't a job hopper and/or doesn't like it here.

I agree, Florida is one thing but Alabama is basically any other job that happens to come along. Hopefully he stays long enough to have a couple of successful seasons.

You fans who doubt he's staying even after a statement that he's happy in Minnesota is ridiculous. Seriously, he's not going anywhere this year and possibly in the near future. If the statement and Pitino Sr. saying they are doing a 3 YEAR home-and-home series with MN then I don't know what will convince you crazy people that he is planning on staying here for at least the near future.

+1 Amelia is a big part of it. Being a writer for a major local paper, pretty much saying in her latest tweet that she doesn't believe it causes a lot of people to think like that. Media members need to understand the power and influence that they posses. I don't think she does.

Not everybody that leaves a job does it because they are "unhappy". He may or may not be "happy" here. But that is much different than saying he might be "happier" somewhere else. You don't really believe that he would come out and say he is not happy, do you?

Regarding the home-and-home....I think we need to see that development once the ink is dry. It's pretty ironic those comments came out at the same time as Richard's statement.

Not trying to be overly cynical. It does appear he will be the coach next year. Maybe I'm just too "coaching rumor" fatigued from watching this every April. But one time it would be nice to see a comment along the lines of, "I will be the coach at the University of Minnesota next year", rather than, "I'm very lucky to work for Norwood Teague" or similar.

He's like most people in his generation and most of us too. If someone comes calling, you listen. That's not disloyal. It's just career management. I never thought he was a long termer, and I still don't. But it is in his best interests to get this program on the map nationally and that will be good for his career and our program. I think he can do it.

Intoxicating words, but I for one do not discount Bob Loblaw's rumors that he's not content here. Hey, this area's not for everyone. Dan Monson missed the West, and I can't blame him. Clem moved here and really liked it - as many other people from the South do. It's about what's your cup of tea. And you and I know enough about the U that it may not be the ideal employer.

What did you guys want him to say? He can't say "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach!" The last guy that said that was Nick Saban....

+1 Amelia is a big part of it. Being a writer for a major local paper, pretty much saying in her latest tweet that she doesn't believe it causes a lot of people to think like that. Media members need to understand the power and influence that they posses. I don't think she does.

Good grief, she isn't pretty much saying she doesn't believe it. All she is saying is that a statement clearly written in "coach speak" isn't going to nip this circus. As proof, the arguing and reading of tea leaves continues on GH. We really didn't have a Bubble Watch this year to ease us into the offseason so Coach Watch has taken its place.

Alabama cooled on him............

Seriously, I hate to sound cynical, but everything Pitino says comes off to me as scripted. he is saying what he thinks he needs to say to promote or protect his image. Let's face it, he's grown up around coaches - this kind of stuff is second nature to him. I don't expect him to be at MN for very long- another 2-3 years tops. I don't claim to have any insider information - that's just my gut reaction to the guy.

A few more thoughts from Amelia....

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/298602871.html

1. Does this mean Pitino is definitely not leaving? No, it doesn’t. I do believe he’s genuinely happy in Minnesota, as he says, and the jump-and-rebuild, jump-and-rebuild process is not a fun one for coaches. While next year’s team will be young and raw and could struggle a lot, it will finally be his foundation: players recruited to his system; a culture firmly in place. At the same time, this is not a business of loyalty. If and when the right offer comes, Pitino may well leave and it could be before people think. In his release, he stopped short of saying he is staying or making any meaningful statement beyond the fact that he likes it here. To be clear, I don’t think Pitino plans on leaving. But at this stage, I’m also not sure he plans on not leaving.

(see others in blog posting)

He won one more conference game than Jerry Kill.

I won't be losing a second of sleep.

He won one more conference game than Jerry Kill.

I won't be losing a second of sleep.

Interesting comparison.

Kill's 2nd year: 2-6 (.250)
Rich's 2nd year: 6-12 (.333)

I probably wouldn't have lost a second of sleep if Jerry left then either.

When is the last time a Gophers coach left for a better job or of their own accord?

Interesting comparison.

Kill's 2nd year: 2-6 (.250)
Rich's 2nd year: 6-12 (.333)

I probably wouldn't have lost a second of sleep if Jerry left then either.

No this isn't an interesting comparison solely for the fact that it's been had 100 times.

Someone will correct you with his big 10 conference wins and then someone will say you can't count those and then someone will say that Kill sucks, then someone will say no he doesnt, then someone will say Tubby won x amount of games and then a zombie apocalypse will happen.

Lew Hoax and Brenda Freese or Oldfield or whatever it was back then.

Hard to say Freese went to a better job. We made the final four the very next year after she left. Yes she has won a national title at Maryland, but there is no reason to think she couldn't have done it here. But she for sure left on her own. If I recall, she said something like the only snow she wanted on her lawn would fall from her pocket.

How about Lou "Howdy Doodie" Holtz? Did he quit for a better job or was he fired? I can't remember. :confused:

Hard to say Freese went to a better job. We made the final four the very next year after she left. Yes she has won a national title at Maryland, but there is no reason to think she couldn't have done it here. But she for sure left on her own. If I recall, she said something like the only snow she wanted on her lawn would fall from her pocket.

The two you didn't get indicate she thought it was a better job. Maryland also pretty much doubled her salary.

Voelz says Oldfield told her money was not the reason for leaving: "She said that there were three things. One was weather and one was facilities and one was a talent base that she thought could not win a national championship."

I'm very pleased that Coach Pitino has made a strong statement reaffirming that he is happy as our coach. I'm dismayed, though, by posts that question his sincerity. Whether those negative posts are well grounded vel non they in my opinion undermine Pitino's ability to recruit. I think the Twin Cities - winter weather notwithstanding - is one of the best areas in the country and I'm encouraged by what I see as a previously unprecedented level of university support for our revenue sports. I think we have every reason to be optimistic about the future.

I'm very pleased that Coach Pitino has made a strong statement reaffirming that he is happy as our coach. I'm dismayed, though, by posts that question his sincerity. Whether those negative posts are well grounded vel non they in my opinion undermine Pitino's ability to recruit. I think the Twin Cities - winter weather notwithstanding - is one of the best areas in the country and I'm encouraged by what I see as a previously unprecedented level of university support for our revenue sports. I think we have every reason to be optimistic about the future.

I am totally optimistic as well. What ticks me off are the people who can't see what Brenda said is true for the men and women today. Hard to recruit here. Limited talent and promised facilities. And beyond that, they miss that Richard Pitino can coach and he is one of the very few people who can make it work here. We are lucky he's here.

I am totally optimistic as well. What ticks me off are the people who can't see what Brenda said is true for the men and women today. Hard to recruit here. Limited talent and promised facilities. And beyond that, they miss that Richard Pitino can coach and he is one of the very few people who can make it work here. We are lucky he's here.

I hope that is the case but am a doubting Thomas on Good Friday. Kill has had a plan since day 1. What is Pitino's?

I hope that is the case but am a doubting Thomas on Good Friday. Kill has had a plan since day 1. What is Pitino's?

Just wondering your thoughts, why do you think Kill had a plan since day 1 and Pitino doesn't?

Top Bottom