All things Oklahoma State/Sioux Falls road trip thread

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
I looked through the forum and hadn't seen a discussion about the Gophers upcoming game vs Oklahoma State in Sioux Falls. Anybody making the trip? I'll be down there with a few friends and we are looking forward to it. Gonna tear up the local Chili's on Friday night until they kick us out and the place shuts down at 11:30.... :cool02: :cool02:

And FWIW - if anyone is thinking of making the trip Stubhub currently has tickets going for $15ish each and hotels are fairly affordable in Sioux Falls. I know the game sold out right away and a lot of people likely assumed it'd be impossible to get tickets, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

I looked through the forum and hadn't seen a discussion about the Gophers upcoming game vs Oklahoma State in Sioux Falls. Anybody making the trip? I'll be down there with a few friends and we are looking forward to it. Gonna tear up the local Chili's on Friday night until they kick us out and the place shuts down at 11:30.... :cool02: :cool02:

And FWIW - if anyone is thinking of making the trip Stubhub currently has tickets going for $15ish each and hotels are fairly affordable in Sioux Falls. I know the game sold out right away and a lot of people likely assumed it'd be impossible to get tickets, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

$15? Yikes. I should have sold when they were going for over $100 and re-purchased.

I hope you're being sarcastic about Chili's. Sioux Falls may not be Minneapolis, but there are still dozens of better places to go.

$15? Yikes. I should have sold when they were going for over $100 and re-purchased.

I hope you're being sarcastic about Chili's. Sioux Falls may not be Minneapolis, but there are still dozens of better places to go.

Judging from all the commercials I hear on the radio about Sioux Falls it's basically a real red blooded conservative American's Paris.

I was mainly just making fun of Sioux Falls... I'm sure we'll start at Chili's and then progress to a local watering hole.

On a different note, out of everyone on Gopherhole only me and howeda7 are making the trip?? Disappointing.

I'll be there. We are staying downtown at the Holiday Inn-City Centre. We will also be hitting the nightlife, perhaps starting at Monk's House of Ale Repute.

Tickets also available on Ticketmaster as of this morning

Minnesota native and Sioux Falls resident here. I'll be at the game, tough to pass up my Gophers playing within city limits, especially considering I'll be going with an OSU alumn (who after OSUs loss to Missouri State today isn't any more excited for a great basketball game than I am). Bought tickets this summer and bummed I didn't wait until this week it appears. Oh well.

There's dozens of better places than Chili's in Sioux Falls ;). Especially downtown. More than willing to help with suggestions for food and beverage spots in the "best little city in America".

a
I was mainly just making fun of Sioux Falls... I'm sure we'll start at Chili's and then progress to a local watering hole.

On a different note, out of everyone on Gopherhole only me and howeda7 are making the trip?? Disappointing.
When tickets were going on sale this summer, there was thread that stated many gopher holers were going. Driving up from Lincoln for the game. Hopefully a fun evening.

I might have missed it, but has there been any rationale given by someone who actually knows why this game is being played there. Absolutely mind-blowing to think about all the crappy non-conference games I have sat through, and then have a game like this played four hours away in a small arena. I really dislike Mega-Tongue even more now that I'm reminded of this.

I might have missed it, but has there been any rationale given by someone who actually knows why this game is being played there. Absolutely mind-blowing to think about all the crappy non-conference games I have sat through, and then have a game like this played four hours away in a small arena. I really dislike Mega-Tongue even more now that I'm reminded of this.

He was tired of being rejected here, so he probably figured a change of scenery couldn't hurt.

I might have missed it, but has there been any rationale given by someone who actually knows why this game is being played there. Absolutely mind-blowing to think about all the crappy non-conference games I have sat through, and then have a game like this played four hours away in a small arena....

The owner/promoter of the Sanford Pentagon is Sanford Health -- very large, very well-heeled health-care organization (you may recall the news a few years ago when T. Denny Sanford made the largest single donation to a health-care organization with a $400 million donation to what was then Sioux Valley Hospital -- Sanford is a U of Mn grad who had discussed making a big donation to Minnesota's then-new stadium project but that didn't work out so it went to health care...some of you will also remember (1) a couple years ago seeing the Sanford Health ad on a building that could be seen from Target Field during Twins games; and (2) Sanford proposing a major hospital acquisition in the Twin Cities which upset local interests in the Cities and got the Minnesota Attorney General involved...deal went away).

Okay, with that background, Sanford Health has put up a lot of athletic facilities in Sioux Falls and donated significant sums for projects at SDSU, NDSU etc. One of the facilities in Sioux Falls is the Sanford Pentagon. See link below. The Pentagon brings in basketball teams that normally wouldn't be seen in Sioux Falls. For example, last year I attended the SDSU v. Florida Gulf Coast -- Dunk City. TThe year before, Wisconsin played St. John's (the good basketball St. John's). Last month, Iowa State and Colorado played basketball on the Heritage Court. Today, to promote wrestling, the Pentagon hosted a wrestling meet featuring the South Dakota colleges that still had wrestling programs, SDSU, Northern State, Dakota Wesleyan. SDSU will play Middle Tennessee State after Christmas.

The CEO of Sanford Health is Kelby Krabbenhoft -- his son, Joe, was a very good basketball player for the Wisconsin Badgers a few years ago and is now an assistant coach at SDSU.

The Pentagon is doing this just to bring some different basketball teams to Sioux Falls. The teams are paid. I doubt the ticket prices cover everything and it's my guess Sanford is subsidizing the games to some extent -- it's another form of advertising.

The Pentagon is absolutely high-tech but is designed to have an old school look and feel. Not quite Hoosiers-movie old school but something more reminiscent of a 1950s gym. The building has several basketball and multi-purpose courts. The Minnesota v Oklahoma game will be on the Heritage Court which is an intimate setting. Going to a game there is fun. All of the seats are good seats. The beer selection is good.

If you're going, go a little early and walk around the place (hey, you can even see some memorabilia of Mike Miller and Nate Wolters :) )

Link to the Pentagon's website: http://www.sanfordpentagon.com/

See the previous post but long story short.... Money. Sanford is paying the Gophers to come to SF.

So who made/is making the trip?

Go Gophers!!

Was in, but now am out. Can't justify 7 hours round trip. Will soak my liver at the local beer hall instead. Safe travels and fun to all.

Top Bottom