All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

Tubby did most of the footwork on this, Pitino will just take the baton to the finish...we should thank Tubby when this gets built.

Didn't seem like real progress was made until Teague took over. Maybe we should thank Teague?

And if they make the Elite Eight this year, Tubby deserves the credit. Stop it.

Yes, Tubby kept advocating for the practice facility, ad nauseum. However, the word was the big donors didn't want to donate with Tubby as the coach. So, if that is true, which I have heard from very reliable people, then how do we have Tubby to thank? The person the donors are working with is the AD.

+19

Can it Parski

Didn't seem like real progress was made until Teague took over. Maybe we should thank Teague?

I'm not ready to thank anyone until something actually happens publicly. This isn't the first time it's been hinted that some sort of progress is supposedly being made. Hope it's true but i'll believe it when i see it.

Everyone seems a lik overexcited about us securing the exclusive rights to the little gym across the hall from coaches office.....

Tubby did most of the footwork on this, Pitino will just take the baton to the finish...we should thank Tubby when this gets built.

Tubby kepts us from getting a facility merely by being coach. I liked Tubby but that was reality.. this is about donors laying the groundwork.. the big donors wouldn't do so until Tubby was gone. Norwood is key to this.. with Maturi, we would have not shot as Tubby would still be our coach and frankly, Maturi didn't get the idea that you need to boost the big programs to support the small programs. Norwood is basically living and breathing fundraising and brand awareness.. thats huge.

Tubby kepts us from getting a facility merely by being coach.. the big donors wouldn't do so until Tubby was gone.

So you know this how? Know any donors....or just your personal opinion?

Tubby kepts us from getting a facility merely by being coach. I liked Tubby but that was reality.. this is about donors laying the groundwork.. the big donors wouldn't do so until Tubby was gone. Norwood is key to this.. with Maturi, we would have not shot as Tubby would still be our coach and frankly, Maturi didn't get the idea that you need to boost the big programs to support the small programs. Norwood is basically living and breathing fundraising and brand awareness.. thats huge.

You still believe in Santa Claus don't you? Let's see who is still here when this hypothetical facility actually opens.

This, 100%. Who wants to donate to a bball program that has a head coach that is lucky to win 3 games after january? Tubby's late season collapses were killing this program and our ability to fundraise. Teague and Pitino are just what we needed, even if we don't ultimately win championships, they'll do wonders turning this program around. Not to say Tubby was a complete failure, his role was part 2 of cleaning up the Clem mess and he did a fine job doing it.

This, 100%. Who wants to donate to a bball program that has a head coach that is lucky to win 3 games after january? Tubby's late season collapses were killing this program and our ability to fundraise. Teague and Pitino are just what we needed, even if we don't ultimately win championships, they'll do wonders turning this program around. Not to say Tubby was a complete failure, his role was part 2 of cleaning up the Clem mess and he did a fine job doing it.
I have no idea who the large hoops donors might be, but I know at least one fund raiser who was privately very clear that potential donors were very unhappy with the program under Tubby, and were not interested in the program with a coach who had retired in place.

I have no idea who the large hoops donors might be, but I know at least one fund raiser who was privately very clear that potential donors were very unhappy with the program under Tubby, and were not interested in the program with a coach who had retired in place.

+ 1

I think people are being overcritical of Tubby. Truth is, he stuck his neck out and emphasized the issue when most people were still scoffing at the need.

You very very close to being in the same category as Wren with his Mason infatuation as you are with Tubby.

Back on subject. I hope this does come to fruition soon!

The Master facilities plan should be coming out soon. I wonder if they'll have an announcement at the same time? Big donor on board?

I think people are being overcritical of Tubby. Truth is, he stuck his neck out and emphasized the issue when most people were still scoffing at the need.

I liked tubby and frankly, was okay with him coming back (I'm super excited for Pitino though). However, Tubby's mere presence as coach was hurting the fundraising for this facility. Raising awareness is nice, but constantly bringing it up as a reason we cannot compete is another thing. I have heard from various folks, some connected to program and some not, that Tubby's presence was an issue. However, more importantly, Norwood is a fundraiser. He is constantly meeting with donors.. taking them to dinner, rubbing elbows, the whole 9 yards. This is big.. a big part of the bigger picture. There is not one reason that a facility has not been built yet or at least formally announced.. but there are factors. You improve one or two of those factors and chances go up. Thats where we are, no more and no less. Whether folks choose to believe we are closer to reality or not is up to them, but I for one feel that we have some momentum.

MN Daily Q&A with Kaler:

What is the status of the University’s master facilities plan for athletics?

I’d say it’s on a final lap to completion. It’s comprehensive, and it’ll be a big plan. I like to have some structure around all of the things that we do. It’s worthwhile for us to get a big view of all that we might do, and then we will enter a process of setting priorities and seeing what’s feasible to do in terms of philanthropy that we might raise to support it.

http://www.mndaily.com/university/a...ota-leg-tcf-bank-stadium-alcohol-sales-and-ge

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily Q&A with Kaler:

What is the status of the University’s master facilities plan for athletics?

I’d say it’s on a final lap to completion. It’s comprehensive, and it’ll be a big plan. I like to have some structure around all of the things that we do. It’s worthwhile for us to get a big view of all that we might do, and then we will enter a process of setting priorities and seeing what’s feasible to do in terms of philanthropy that we might raise to support it.

http://www.mndaily.com/university/a...ota-leg-tcf-bank-stadium-alcohol-sales-and-ge

Go Gophers!!

This resolves my biggest gripe about our previous AD...no master plan. Everything was piecemeal and treated like an event instead of a process. I want a permanent fund raising apparatus at the U that has something to raise money for at all times. A plan to put in front of the legislature so we can secure state support on major infrastructure purchases.

And we need more studies done to show the positive impact that Gopher Athletics has on the student athlete, the general student population and the university as a whole. How athletics connects the U to the world, the fortune 500 business and to money (both athletic and academic endeavors).

This resolves my biggest gripe about our previous AD...no master plan. Everything was piecemeal and treated like an event instead of a process. I want a permanent fund raising apparatus at the U that has something to raise money for at all times. A plan to put in front of the legislature so we can secure state support on major infrastructure purchases.

Master plans are fine as long as they are maintained, nothing will ever go as originally planned, if the changes aren't reflected in the plan it becomes useless.

A plan to put in front of the legislature so we can secure state support on major infrastructure purchases.

Maturi/Bruininks did do that. It was called a 300 million dollar football stadium bill. The way the legislature bends the U over every chance it gets, the fact the U isn't still in the Metrodome waiting to be the bastard stepchild in a Viking stadium is pretty remarkable.

Master plans are fine as long as they are maintained, nothing will ever go as originally planned, if the changes aren't reflected in the plan it becomes useless.

Planning should always be an ongoing process.

per Shooter:

Don't be surprised if the University of Minnesota targets a portion of the $25 million it receives annually from the Big Ten Network and other media rights outlets as a way to pay for its new facilities plan, which is nearly complete.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...minnesota-hoops-legend-terry-kunze-loves.html

Go Gophers!!

Somehow I don't feel warm and fuzzy about this getting done anytime in the near future. Traditionally we just point our finger at the AD and football and basketball coaches for our failure to compete in the B1G. If someone had predicted 10-15 years ago we would be looking up at Northwestern, people would have thought they were on drugs. When I see our leaders smiling for the camera with shovels in their hands, then I'll believe we are entering the B1G arms race.

per Shooter:

Don't be surprised if the University of Minnesota targets a portion of the $25 million it receives annually from the Big Ten Network and other media rights outlets as a way to pay for its new facilities plan, which is nearly complete.

Sounds familiar. <ramble time>

Allocation of athletic revenues – Some athletic departments have reasoned that they won’t be taking general university funds by earmarking certain athletic revenues (for example, revenue earned through conference contracts with media networks or premium seating fees) to fund a construction project. However, most athletic departments receive some level of institutional support and a construction project is ultimately going to cost the school. This method of funding is often little more than providing an alternate explanation of current circumstances. It doesn't require any new revenue inflow; rather it’s just a decision on paper that allocates current inflows to a specific purpose.

Just say the word and.. it shall be built. If fundraising efforts don't result in anything substantial... just explain things a different way and magically you've "funded" a project(s).

In the case of a basketball practice facility at Minnesota I think it's the right way to go.

I do wonder what the holdup has been with the master facilities plan. It should be a living, breathing document and almost all of them do change over time... when I look at past comments from the U about specific timing.. "oh it should be done in January; oh, we expect it to be done by early April; by June, etc"... don't understand why you'd want to provide expectations like that, especially when they don't materialize. "We're working diligently, we want to do it well, and we'll let you know when we're ready to share." might have been a better route...

Nonetheless... maybe the plan has gotten more complex than expected.. maybe the consultants have been delayed due to the U's people having other commitments... maybe a big donation(s) are/were believed to be very close and an announcement/unveiling was delayed for that purpose... maybe there's been tremendous infighting re: using current revenue streams to "fund" certain projects... don't know.

But if you look at the timeline of comments coming from the U - especially Teague - the fact that we're in July without a plan (again, a plan that should be expected to be monitored and revised on a continual/periodic basis)... it's a bit strange.

If they can't find big donors - and that's certainly likely - then I think you just come clean and attack the more pressing need through another means (i.e., "allocate" existing revenue streams).

Sounds familiar. <ramble time>

Just say the word and.. it shall be built. If fundraising efforts don't result in anything substantial... just explain things a different way and magically you've "funded" a project(s).

In the case of a basketball practice facility at Minnesota I think it's the right way to go.

I do wonder what the holdup has been with the master facilities plan. It should be a living, breathing document and almost all of them do change over time... when I look at past comments from the U about specific timing.. "oh it should be done in January; oh, we expect it to be done by early April; by June, etc"... don't understand why you'd want to provide expectations like that, especially when they don't materialize. "We're working diligently, we want to do it well, and we'll let you know when we're ready to share." might have been a better route...

Nonetheless... maybe the plan has gotten more complex than expected.. maybe the consultants have been delayed due to the U's people having other commitments... maybe a big donation(s) are/were believed to be very close and an announcement/unveiling was delayed for that purpose... maybe there's been tremendous infighting re: using current revenue streams to "fund" certain projects... don't know.

But if you look at the timeline of comments coming from the U - especially Teague - the fact that we're in July without a plan (again, a plan that should be expected to be monitored and revised on a continual/periodic basis)... it's a bit strange.

If they can't find big donors - and that's certainly likely - then I think you just come clean and attack the more pressing need through another means (i.e., "allocate" existing revenue streams).

Exactly.

I think that they were planning on the Sanford thing funding a big part of it. When the AG blew up that plan, they had to scramble and come up with a new plan.

I think that they were planning on the Sanford thing funding a big part of it. When the AG blew up that plan, they had to scramble and come up with a new plan.

I think you are wrong. T. Denny Sanford just committed almost $500 million for a new medical facility in Fargo. Maybe he has his priorities straight as to how he will spend all of his kids' and grandkids' inheritance.

While I would have been ecstatic about a huge donation for the Gophers' needs, I have to admit that his decision with the Fargo facility will do much more to benefit many more people.

http://www.sanfordhealth.org/construction/fargomedicalcenter

What I smell is the age old battle that prominent football and basketball teams conflict with the true mission of the University of Minnesota.

Hypothetically, if Whitehead comes here along with a few other four star or five star players would that prove that a practice facility is a waste of money?

Top Bottom