All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

$15M goes toward "the $190M"... and it's not just from Land O'Lakes the company.

Wrong

over 10 years

Completely irrelevant

7.9% of the way there!

Do you honestly think this is the only donation so far? If you had even the slightest clue as to what's going on you'd know better. Time to stop embarrassing yourself and admit that you've been far off the mark with your facilities commentary.

Count me in as someone who will be going out of their way to buy Land O'Lakes products.

I see your point, but the "U" got $35 million over 25(!) years from TCF Bank for naming rights to the football stadium. In comparison, this is an extremely generous gift from Land O'Lakes that is a great step toward building the facilities needed/wanted/desired. Maybe the "U" falls vastly short of "the $190M", but for now I'll be happy about a great donation that may encourage other big local companies to also contribute significantly.

FWIW, I already purchase Land O' Lakes butter and will be specifically looking for more products that they carry in my area. I also will send a short email to them thanking them for contributing to Gopher Athletics and informing them that their contribution has a positive effect on how I view their brand. I know these are very little gestures, but they are things most of us who badly want to see competitive U of M revenue sports can afford to do.

Honestly, being in that room in the past, if that one little email makes it to the right guy, that little gesture can go a long way in future actions.

I actually think there is hope. The timing won't be what it should be, but I think the U will come around and try to get the key things done fairly soon (e.g. football, bball)

Unless a big donor steps up with tons of money, this is going to be a looooong thread (i.e., ongoing "updates" for many years before there is a new bball practice facility).

significant shortfall to the "goal" of $190M and for everything to be built in 6 to 8 years.

Keep your focus on the 190m and entire project which most sensible people are not worried about. We needed new basketball and football facilities, that's the whole point. Norwood saw this was a difficult task as two stand alone projects so Norwood put them at the forefront master plan to get the ball rolling.

The strategy (you fail to understand) appears to be working nicely. Tremendous vision and initial execution Mr. Teage!

VCU's new bball practice facility is just a dream there like it is here for Minnesota.

Nope, sorry. Still just a dream. Need lots more money. Recent gift could prove to be very helpful, but they've still got a loooooooong way to go before they have the money or begin construction.

Not looking like a 'just a dream' with not such a looooooong way to go before construction.

How does Minnesota solve this issue of needing a practice facility?

Watch and learn.

VCU desperately wants and needs a new basketball practice facility. They're in the same situation as Minnesota is.

Exactly. Now that the facility is looking promising, change your argument to the 190m.

Keep your focus on the 190m and entire project which most sensible people are not worried about. We needed new basketball and football facilities, that's the whole point. Norwood saw this was a difficult task as two stand alone projects so Norwood put them at the forefront master plan to get the ball rolling.

The strategy (you fail to understand) appears to be working nicely. Tremendous vision and initial execution Mr. Teage!
What? It seems to me we're putting the academic center for all students at the forefront rather than the football and basketball facility. The money that Teague put into renovating the current gym in Bierman might signal that the Basketball facility is one of the lowest priorities in this 8 year fundraising and building plan.

Honestly, being in that room in the past, if that one little email makes it to the right guy, that little gesture can go a long way in future actions.

I just sent a quick online thank you to Land O'Lakes president/CEO Chris Policinski thanking him and the Land O'Lakes Foundation for their generous gift and commitment to the University. If anyone else wants to do the same here's the link:

https://www.landolakes.com/ContactUs.aspx

What? It seems to me we're putting the academic center for all students at the forefront rather than the football and basketball facility.

The AD's ultimate goal it not on the academic center for all students, the larger project was a tool to get the basketball and football facilities built with the best quality and timeline.

The money that Teague put into renovating the current gym in Bierman might signal that the Basketball facility is one of the lowest priorities in this 8 year fundraising and building plan.

Not at all. Bierman will be torn down, the upgrades are a much needed stop-gap.

The AD's ultimate goal it not on the academic center for all students, the larger project was a tool to get the basketball and football facilities built with the best quality and timeline.

Not at all. Bierman will be torn down, the upgrades are a much needed stop-gap.
The real question is WHEN? Teague was asked multiple times if the basketball and football facilities would be the first to be built and he seemed to hint that they were the priority. That seems to have changed. We needed the new basketball practice facility five years ago. The basketball program is one of the top 20 most profitable programs in the nation and our facilities are nowhere near the top 20. Getting the shovels in the ground within a year is not too much to ask.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He must not read Sid!

Sid's 'the Star Tribune has learned that ground will be broken this December' might not be such a laugher after-all...?

He must not read Sid!

Sid's 'the Star Tribune has learned that ground will be broken this December' might not be such a laugher after-all...?

Sid said 3M might step up next with some cash. I really hope he's right. If 3M does give at least 50% of Land O' Lakes, then the U might really be on their way.

The Post It Note Center?
Yes the post-it note center(they also make a lot of other stuff and are a huge company)

Well, 3M(really large publicly traded company) is way bigger than Land O'lakes(really large co-op) but it has to deal with many more share holders so I don't actually see them donating much from the company itself. Maybe some of the employees will. Hopefully 3M will surprise us all but I doubt it.

Yes the post-it note center(they also make a lot of other stuff and are a huge company)

Well, 3M(really large publicly traded company) is way bigger than Land O'lakes(really large co-op) but it has to deal with many more share holders so I don't actually see them donating much from the company itself. Maybe some of the employees will. Hopefully 3M will surprise us all but I doubt it.

Cargill and Carlson don't. Does Cargill give much money to the U in any fashion?

Great new pics of the stop-gap practice facility. Amazing what this staff was able to turn this into, that the previous staff apparently didn't have the vision for, despite 7 years of having this same facility right outside their office:

http://www.gophersports.com/view.gal?id=165614

Go Gophers!!

Great new pics of the stop-gap practice facility. Amazing what this staff was able to turn this into, that the previous staff apparently didn't have the vision for, despite 7 years of having this same facility right outside their office:

Go Gophers!!

I know we need an actual practice facility but this is pretty impressive for a temporary/makeshift facility. Credit to Pitino/Teague/whoever came up with this plan/money.

I absolutely love the new renovations especially with the gold entrance but the one thing I would like would be a flashier court with a big block M in the middle and maroon in the paint. It looks like a really plain court that you would use in gym class.

Go Gophers!!

Ok, now I'm really confused. I thought the team had to practice at Williams arena? What exactly are we looking at? (What is renovated vs. what was there before?)

Is that an urban legend?

DeLaSalle’s Jarvis Johnson, one of the Gophers’ top targets for 2015, eyed the changes to Bierman on his official visit last weekend.
“I really liked it,” he said, “Knowing that they work fast. From the time I was there for the team camp, there has been a lot of progress made there. I like what they’re trying to do with the building.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/274767981.html#commentHere

I know we need an actual practice facility but this is pretty impressive for a temporary/makeshift facility. Credit to Pitino/Teague/whoever came up with this plan/money.

Actually, they made have made it too nice. The average Lake Woebegonian will look at that and say "That's good enough. Certainly above average."

I was initially disappointed that the basketball practice facility was not made the top priority for the campaign to upgrade facilities, but I now agree that the academic center is a more pressing need.

So glad Tubby is gone and we have a hungry young coach.

You really have to admire Pitino's outside the box thinking. Also, you get the sense that if (some would say when) Pitino leaves for a better coaching job, the basketball program will be in the best shape it perhaps has ever been.

Top Bottom