All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Watched "Facing Nolan" the other night. If you're an 80's baseball fan and/or a fan of Nolan Ryan, check it out. Thought it was well done and interesting. Can't believe that he has zero Cy Young awards. Neither could George Brett from his reaction in the film.

Most interesting thing to me was when they talked about how he was clocked throwing 101 mph with old speed detectors. They claimed in the movie that they went back and studied his video with todays technology and his fastballs would have clocked at 108!
That sounds about right and leads me to wonder if todays guns are enhanced - chicks dig the longball.

Last edited:

Random pic from the set of Strange Brew. I love how happy Von Sydow looks.
I must have seen Strange Brew in the theater a half dozen times and probably double that at home. Overdue to watch again.

To me the Max von Sydow casting ranks up there with Paul Newman/Slap Shot and Jeff Daniels/Dumb and Dumber as far as reverse typecasting in whacky comedies.

I must have seen Strange Brew in the theater a half dozen times and probably double that at home. Overdue to watch again.

To me the Max von Sydow casting ranks up there with Paul Newman/Slap Shot and Jeff Daniels/Dumb and Dumber as far as reverse typecasting in whacky comedies.

World War II: From the Frontline on Netflix is really good. Docuseries using all real footage.

I saw Maestro today, very solid. It's a biopic in Leonard Bernstein.

Quick takeaways:

- Carey Mulligan is as good as it gets in general as actress. I have now seen her in over 10 movies, never disappoints and chooses good projects.

- Cooper I think is now a pretty bankable director. Simler to The Holdovers, somehow he made film feel just like the eras it was set in.

- In my mind, I had it that REMs shout out to Lenny in It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) was a posthumous salute. Not so, Document was released on Aug 31, 1987. Bernstein passed away Oct 14, 1990.

Last edited:

I generally try to ignore trailers, I hate it when they give away the plot, or sell the best 2 minutes of a movie to persuade viewers to buy a ticket as well as invest the time. Even crappy films can have a few lines that are fool's gold.

With that preface, the promo for The Iron Claw about the Von Erich wrestling clan has me intrigued.

Warning, it looks like it gives away the plot, but I am already familiar with the family. I remember the Von Erichs from the days my house first got cable circa 1983. The resemblances are uncanny.

Reminds me that I did at one time enjoy the spectacle, back to the AWA Vern Gagne days before the McMahon family wiped everyone out.

I generally try to ignore trailers, I hate it when they give away the plot, or sell the best 2 minutes of a movie to persuade viewers to buy a ticket as well as invest the time. Even crappy films can have a few lines that are fool's gold.

With that preface, the promo for The Iron Claw about the Von Erich wrestling clan has me intrigued.

Warning, it looks like it gives away the plot, but I am already familiar with the family. I remember the Von Erichs from the days my house first got cable circa 1983. The resemblances are uncanny.

Reminds me that I did at one time enjoy the spectacle, back to the AWA Vern Gagne days before the McMahon family wiped everyone out.

currently at 88% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 76 reviews. Zac Efron getting praise for his performance.

currently at 88% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 76 reviews. Zac Efron getting praise for his performance.
I did not realize it was Efron until his name flashed at the end.

A24 is the studio behind it, they have quite a high success rate for my movie going tastes.

Just watched a 3 part documentary "Bad Surgeon" on Netflix. Crazy story. Worth the watch.

Go Gophers!!

I did not realize it was Efron until his name flashed at the end.

A24 is the studio behind it, they have quite a high success rate for my movie going tastes.

Has anyone checked this out yet: Iron Claw? Looking for movies to go to and I have to admit, this does look intriguing. And I was not ever a very big wrestling fan.

Reminds me of a funny saying the old HS wrestling coach used to say, "... professional wrestling, which is neither, professional nor wrestling". Clever wit, that man.

Has anyone checked this out yet: Iron Claw? Looking for movies to go to and I have to admit, this does look intriguing. And I was not ever a very big wrestling fan.

Reminds me of a funny saying the old HS wrestling coach used to say, "... professional wrestling, which is neither, professional nor wrestling". Clever wit, that man.
Not yet. Hopefully this week.

I would say they are "professional" something, hybrid actor-athletes.

Last edited:

Anyone watch the series on Vice called the Dark Side of Comedy? Just watched the one on Norm MacDonald who was one of my top 3 comedians. Did not realize how much he gambled. Lost everything not once not twice but 3 times before he passed away. He just didn’t give a shit

Ferrari, review. Good, worthwhile, not great.

I am still quite intrigued as to how Mann & Driver will handle the Heat 2 prequal.

Sometimes like some science fiction so gave The Creator a view. Thought it was ok, nothing to rave about. Maybe 5.5 or so on a 10 scale.
In the same vein, watched Rebel Moon. It was kind of a Star Wars meets Magnificent Seven. Am looking forward to the second part, which I think is coming out in April.

My wife talked me into going to Poor Things tonight. Will see how it goes. I've read some really good things about it and some not so good.

My wife talked me into going to Poor Things tonight. Will see how it goes. I've read some really good things about it and some not so good.
I have seen Poor Things, and to describe it in 2 words it would be: "Weird" Science.

I'm not saying that in a bad way. I have liked some of the of the director's (Yorgos Lanthimos) other work. The Lobster is one my favorite movies of the century so far, which is also quite odd.

This I would classify as good, maybe just short of great. A very bold performance by Emma Stone, especially when thinking about it at the end as the plot has unfolded.

I thought it was worth my $10 and more importantly, my time.

I have seen Poor Things, and to describe it in 2 words it would be: "Weird" Science.

I'm not saying that in a bad way. I have liked some of the of the director's (Yorgos Lanthimos) other work. The Lobster is one my favorite movies of the century so far, which is also quite odd.

This I would classify as good, maybe just short of great. A very bold performance by Emma Stone, especially when thinking about it at the end as the plot has unfolded.

I thought it was worth my $10 and more importantly, my time.
We enjoyed it. Very weird, very funny and lots of boobs. The perfect combination, haha.

I went to a noon showing on NYD to see The Boys in the Boat. In a decent sized stadium theater, got the last seat that wasn't in the front row. Everyone there was quite eager to see the story of now Big 10 compatriot, University of Washington's 8 Man Crew team.

It's a very predictable story arc for a sports movie. However, it's extremely well done for this "Miracle"type film. About as sure fire of a crowd pleaser as I can think of, great for all ages at least 10 and above.

Well worth anyone's time and bucks.

I took in The Iron Claw today, and my review is favorable. They recreated the late 70s - 80s era quite well and is augmented by soundtrack.

I enjoyed seeing Maura Tierney as momma von Erich. Zac Efron is solid as is the entire family.

Not many laughs.

Some of the wrestling and training scenes were so well done that it has a documentary feel. As good as The Wrestler in that aspect.

Last edited:

I went to a noon showing on NYD to see The Boys in the Boat. In a decent sized stadium theater, got the last seat that wasn't in the front row. Everyone there was quite eager to see the story of now Big 10 compatriot, University of Washington's 8 Man Crew team.

It's a very predictable story arc for a sports movie. However, it's extremely well done for this "Miracle"type film. About as sure fire of a crowd pleaser as I can think of, great for all ages at least 10 and above.

Well worth anyone's time and bucks.

Just saw Boys in Boat. The 2 hours went quickly. Very good.

Just saw Boys in Boat. The 2 hours went quickly. Very good.
I agreed with a review I read (I just saw the movie last night). It is a good movie that had the potential to be a great movie. The problem, as I see it, is that it didn't focus more tightly on either one person, or in the dynamic of the 8 man crew trying to become one. Instead, you get a little bit of one character and a little bit of another character in conjunction with the races. Because they don't go deeper in depth, you get a feel good movie, but you don't get an academy award movie like Chariots of Fire or even Miracle.
This is a good movie, and I am glad I saw it. It's just that this could have been a great movie and that failure is on the script and the director (Clooney).

I took in The Iron Claw today, and my review is favorable. They recreated the late 70s - 80s era quite well and augmented by soundtrack.

I enjoyed seeing Maura Tierney as momma von Erich. Zac Efron is solid as is the entire family.

Not many laughs.

Some of the wrestling and training scenes were so well done that it has a documentary feel. As good as The Wrestler in that aspect.
But does it match the cinematography greatness of Nacho Libre? 🤔😏😁

I agreed with a review I read (I just saw the movie last night). It is a good movie that had the potential to be a great movie. The problem, as I see it, is that it didn't focus more tightly on either one person, or in the dynamic of the 8 man crew trying to become one. Instead, you get a little bit of one character and a little bit of another character in conjunction with the races. Because they don't go deeper in depth, you get a feel good movie, but you don't get an academy award movie like Chariots of Fire or even Miracle.
This is a good movie, and I am glad I saw it. It's just that this could have been a great movie and that failure is on the script and the director (Clooney).

Agree

I took in The Iron Claw today, and my review is favorable. They recreated the late 70s - 80s era quite well and augmented by soundtrack.

Not many laughs.

I watched a documentary on the von Erichs and there wasn't a lot to smile about. It's a tough story to tell.

I actually preferred the TX territory wrestling better than the AWA as a kid, primarily because of the von Erichs and their family bonds. Terry Gordie(sp?) was my original favorite heel along with Ole and Arn Anderson.

I understand what you are critiquing, but I don't know that it is necessarily a failure of Clooney. To me it's clear they (Director/Producer/Studio) were going for the crowd pleaser to reach as vast of an audience as possible.

For that it needs to appeal to young/old & male/female. It's not an easy task given the sport of crew is something very few are familiar with at all.

Also going against it is essentially a 2 hour time constraint. The real events took place over 3 years, but had to be mashed into 1 to streamline the plot. I'm sure a great 6-8 hr mini-series could be made about the Boys in the Boat.

Sure they could've gone more in depth, but I did like getting invested in more than 1 or 2 characters. To me this worked similarly to Hoosiers in that aspect.

Interesting on Rotten Tomatoes it's scoring 56%, but the Audiences it's a gaudy 96%.

I watched a documentary on the von Erichs and there wasn't a lot to smile about. It's a tough story to tell.

I actually preferred the TX territory wrestling better than the AWA as a kid, primarily because of the von Erichs and their family bonds. Terry Gordie(sp?) was my original favorite heel along with Ole and Arn Anderson.
Indeed. My comment on the lack of levity was for those not familiar with the "von Erich curse" to let them know what they are in for.

I saw The Holdovers today and I recommend it strongly.

About 2 minutes in, given the movie is set in 1970 I knew that the soundtrack would feature Cat Stevens. It certainly did.
Paul Giamatti won Golden Globe fo Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy, no argument there. I do think that Cillian Murphy who won in Drama is the hands down favorite for the Oscar.

I did go see Killers of the Flower Moon and I think it's really good. If one is against going to 3.5 hr long movies, I won't attempt to try to convince anyone that it's worth their time. I made it throughout with having to run to the bathroom, so it can be done.

It is methodical and very little levity on a serious subject matter, but I enjoyed it throughout.

DiCaprio and DeNiro are on there A game, I did not realize they have not been in the same movie since This Boy's Life. That one is also a rather antagonizing "father type-son" relationship. Lily Gladstone I have very little doubt will be recognized in Awards season.

As I suspected, Lily Gladstone was recognized with a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Drama. It was quite an impactful performance.

Emma Stone won for Musical or Comedy in what was also quite a worthy honor. Tough call in the Oscar race, but I guess edge to Gladstone since Stone already has a statuette.

Top Bottom