All Things Minnesota at UCLA at Rose Bowl Stadium October 12, 2024

I might end up doing this is if the SO doesn't come on the trip with me. The Gopher Hockey Team plays in Vegas that weekend and I made a reservation for a room already (heard about it before the Rose Bowl Game) and have access to tickets if I want them.
Awesome! Hope you can do it! Depending on how much time you have, you might be able to go to the Hoover Dam and Joshua Tree National Forest. I'm guessing that you already knew that, but I just thought I'd mention it. Grand Canyon might be too far in the opposite direction.

Quick illustration: I googled Rose Bowl to Santa Monica (basically the beach) and the easy answer is 27 miles. However, I saw driving time estimates from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Reality is probably 45-50 minutes.

Traffic in LA can be crazy at times. Also, when they give directions in LA they tend to use an abbreviated form. Saturday Night Live actually did a skit about it years ago. For example: Going from Santa Monica to the Rose Bowl you might hear, "you take the 10 to 110 to Orange Grove". That's I-10 to US 110 to Orange Grove Blvd. Or they might just call Interstate 10 "Santa Monica". So that would be " you take Santa Monica to 110 to Orange Grove"
Does Google sound like a Californian when giving me directions? If not, can you direct me to an authentic Californian for the cultural experience?

Does Google sound like a Californian when giving me directions? If not, can you direct me to an authentic Californian for the cultural experience?
When referring to highways/ interstates, just put the in front of the name. Ex:

Take the 405 north to the Cal 134...

Actually, it's LA more than California. My wife lived in the Santa Monica area for a number of years, she understands the dialect. We joke about it. And no, I doubt that google uses it. LOL. Still it's fun to hear. Just confusing if you don't expect it.

Where ever you go in the US you will find little tells. Minnesota is known for having more of a Canadian accent with the "O" usage.

Oregonians have a tendency to say "neat" and "deal" way too much. Neat meaning cool or good. Deal is use as in "this deal" or "that deal" meaning this thing or that thing. You find this kind of "deal" all over this country.

When referring to highways/ interstates, just put the in front of the name. Ex:

Take the 405 north to the Cal 134...
The only problem with that is when someone says take the Santa Monica to the Anaheim and go north.

Actually, it's LA more than California. My wife lived in the Santa Monica area for a number of years, she understands the dialect. We joke about it. And no, I doubt that google uses it. LOL. Still it's fun to hear. Just confusing if you don't expect it.

Where ever you go in the US you will find little tells. Minnesota is known for having more of a Canadian accent with the "O" usage.

Oregonians have a tendency to say "neat" and "deal" way too much. Neat meaning cool or good. Deal is use as in "this deal" or "that deal" meaning this thing or that thing. You find this kind of "deal" all over this country.
We get teased about that all of the time. Throw in a few eh's and we are Canadian!

Top Bottom