All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>JP Macura has been offered by the University of Minnesota.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/355441136199929856">July 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>JP Macura has been offered by the University of Minnesota.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/355441136199929856">July 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
Great to see, figured this was coming after Pitino got a chance to see him today.

If we get a commit, it could force some of our other recruits to accelerate their decision. Especially the guards/wings.

offensive style a bit like jerry west ... First time the U has offered 4 instate kids from one class?

Really hope he commits soon, he truly does have a great shot. Very smooth.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Blessed to have gotten my first BIG TEN offer <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Jonathan Macura (@jpmacura) <a href="https://twitter.com/jpmacura/statuses/355439240663928832">July 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

We were told that JP was very, very excited when the U offered today.

Not surprised we offered today and not surprised he's jacked. He wants to be a gopher, will be hard for another school to pluck him away.

What, no dunks in the highlight tape? Tubby would never recruit this kid! :) Seriously, I'm glad the Gophers wised up and offered JP.

offensive style a bit like jerry west ... First time the U has offered 4 instate kids from one class?

That number could increase, too. Delshon Strickland of Holy Angels has offers from Iowa, Gonzaga, and a bunch of mid-majors. Pitino has offered A TON of top 150 guards, but if he swings and misses on all of them, I could see Strickland picking up an offer.

That number could increase, too. Delshon Strickland of Holy Angels has offers from Iowa, Gonzaga, and a bunch of mid-majors. Pitino has offered A TON of top 150 guards, but if he swings and misses on all of them, I could see Strickland picking up an offer.

Was offered by Auburn today as well.

Nice to see this happen. To me he seems crafty. He has range but doesn't seem to be that athletic which I'm fine with. Blake Hoffarber 2.0??

Nice to see this happen. To me he seems crafty. He has range but doesn't seem to be that athletic which I'm fine with. Blake Hoffarber 2.0??

Appears to have much more inside game than Hoffarber ever had.

The kid looks like he has a lot of offensive game...how does his D look from those who have watched him play?

I was wondering about his D too.

Also wonder if he is still growing. Maybe it's an illusion on the video or the way he runs, but his feet seem disproportionately big. In any event, looks like he needs to add some muscle but could be end up being a very good 4 year player. He also kind of looks like Jimmy from Hoosiers.

Macura would be an excellent complementary player paired with some of the other guards Pitino is after. He doesn't need to be a focal point of the offense (and frankly, he shouldn't be at this level), but he's got great basketball IQ, can bomb it from deep and is just a smart player. Perfect guy to have stretching the defense and keeping it honest while guys like Newton/Whitehead or Vaughn/Perkins go to work.

Macura would be an excellent complementary player paired with some of the other guards Pitino is after. He doesn't need to be a focal point of the offense (and frankly, he shouldn't be at this level), but he's got great basketball IQ, can bomb it from deep and is just a smart player. Perfect guy to have stretching the defense and keeping it honest while guys like Newton/Whitehead or Vaughn/Perkins go to work.

Agreed. He'd be a perfect fit with one of the tandem packages (Vaughn/Perkins or Newton/Whitehead) and a big man, preferably Travis. A class like that would fit Pitino's vision perfectly, a guard heavy class with shooting and playmaking, and a mobile, skilled big man.

Macura will play 4 years. He will get faster, stronger and smarter on the court. He's an investment for sure.

Macura will play 4 years. He will get faster, stronger and smarter on the court. He's an investment for sure.

Like most players, yep. It would seem like, at the very least, he was one skill that will be there while he is developing- shooting.

Here's hoping we land him.

Seems like any player of a certain look people automatically assume he can't play any defense. Be it true or not I doubt if anyone on here has watched him enough to make that assumption. Also I don't get were it is assumed he has this great basketball IQ. From what I can tell the only thing I'm really sure about is he can shoot and score the basketball. Which is a skill set I love.

Well, he was offered by Brad Stevens, Fred Hoiberg, and Richard Pitino, all of whom seem to really know what they're doing. It seems like Ryan James from GI really likes him, and he knows his stuff. That's enough for me.

In my layman's opinion, though, watching the video, if it weren't for all those offers I'd sure have my doubts and I'd guess I was watching a very good high school player but not a big time college prospect. He has a very skinny frame - I question how much weight he can put on. His lateral movement looks not great. He runs kind of funny, kind of has a "duck foot" (I don't know the technical term, but it's the kind of thing podiatrists correct for in kids).

But, especially if he grows, he could be a really effective 4 yr shooting guard.

Top Bottom