All Things Jashon Cornell Thread: Cornell commits to Ohio St

I'd be surprised if the majority of their top athletes are.

nah, i like are chances of getting jashon better then tyus, we will win 8 games this year and then 9 or 10 the next and we will be right up there, and there is a higher chance of top recruits playing for a non traditional power house team in football then basketball

Will be at friday night lights at OSU tonight

. Andre McDonald, Jonah Pirsig, and Max Williams, Mitch Leidner, Phillip Nelson, Issac Hayes and we were proclaiming the border is now closed. But then something amplified the change in the staying home and building something when Jeff Jones committed. The trend in recruiting with Coach Kill is positive. There should be no doubt that we will land Jashnon

It can be proclaimed all you want, but the top 4 recruits in Minnesota in 2013 went elsewhere and none of them had offers from perennial top 10 teams:

http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MN

There should be plenty of doubt about where Cornell goes.

we didnt get them becuase we didn't want them, they were are second option, except for Onuwalu

That's just not true of Brookins or Rucker. Both had offers (Brookins was even committed for quite a while) and were definitely wanted. I don't really agree with justthefacts but to say we didn't want those guys is simply inaccurate. I still believe we've got a shot at Cornell but it is extremely far from a certainty.

Favorite professional sports team: “The Warriors. They just got Andre Iguodala. My favorite NFL team, I’ve always been a Chicago Bears fan.”
Bears 2013 prediction: “I think they should be solid. I don’t think they’ll go to the Super Bowl. They have some building to do, but they’ll be one of the great teams again.”
Favorite NFL player: “Ray Lewis. He’s retired but one of my favorites because he always worked hard.”

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncf...9/introducing-top-2015-recruit-jashon-cornell

Not sure I like this kid at all. He likes the bears and Ray Lewis.

Biggest inspiration: Mother.

Hi mom! how many times have you seen that from the bench when the camera pans. Great Recruiters not only recruit the player, but must convince Mom that her son will be in good hands with a program. Who are the other boys her son will be playing with. But most important does she and her son trust the Coach to get her son an education, give him an opportunity to play. When it comes to trust, you cannot get more genuine than Jerry Kill.

Hi mom! how many times have you seen that from the bench when the camera pans. Great Recruiters not only recruit the player, but must convince Mom that her son will be in good hands with a program. Who are the other boys her son will be playing with. But most important does she and her son trust the Coach to get her son an education, give him an opportunity to play. When it comes to trust, you cannot get more genuine than Jerry Kill.

I have to agree with your comment husker70 but it seems like a lot of "older" sons on this board are not as trusting of Jerry as their moms may be. Probably poor parenting by the moms.

husker says: "must convince Mom that her son will be in good hands with a program."

Remember, when Momma is happy, everyone is happy.

I agree with you, but I don't think you understand most Cretin athletes. For most people who went to Cretin, Notre Dame is ranked higher than Alabama or USC. I know what you mean about the footprint argument, but it doesn't apply to Notre Dame for most of these kids.

Correct

That's too bad. There will be many better teams in the metro again this year.

It's not about how good the team is, it is about how goodd the individual players on the team are for a game to be national televised

I'll be watching him scrimmage at Osseo Saturday morning. Hoping they don't limit his reps. Looking forward to seeing him in preseason action

Jashon Cornell is from St. Paul, Minn., and is the No. 1 junior in the country. He plays football, not hockey, too.

Minnesota high school football players don’t often get the same attention as players from Friday Night Light football havens such as California, Florida, and Texas, or even other northern states such as Ohio. Minnesota still boasts some top-level football talent, though, as Cornell is No. 1 in the 2015 ESPN Junior 300, which was released Tuesday.

While colleges know a lot about Cornell -- he has more than 20 offers -- he is not a national name with recruiting fans just yet. That will change soon, especially as he looks to improve upon his sophomore season when he produced 52 tackles, 14 sacks, 26 tackles for loss, forced three fumbles and blocked a field goal.

Jashon Cornell
Defensive end
Uncommitted: List

Pos Rk Stars Grade Hometown
89 Saint Paul, MN
But until then, here is a little more about the top-ranked Class of 2015 prospect.

School: St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin-Derham Hall.
Height: 6-foot-3, 245 pounds.
Position: DE/OLB.
Offers: California, Florida, Florida State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, South Florida, Stanford, USC, Vanderbilt and Wisconsin.
Favorite video game: NCAA 14. (Cornell did not give any glimpse into a favorite college team, though. He and friends always randomize which team they must play as, which one time left Cornell as his hometown Minnesota Gophers going up against Alabama.)
Food: “I eat everything. I can’t say on that, but probably steak or some type of barbecue.”
School Subject: “Science. I always knew I can get an A in it. I like history, too.”
Favorite professional sports team: “The Warriors. They just got Andre Iguodala. My favorite NFL team, I’ve always been a Chicago Bears fan.”
Bears 2013 prediction: “I think they should be solid. I don’t think they’ll go to the Super Bowl. They have some building to do, but they’ll be one of the great teams again.”
Cornell’s Super Bowl pick: “I think the 49ers. Maybe the Jets [to represent the AFC] if they get their stuff together.”
Favorite NFL player: “Ray Lewis. He’s retired but one of my favorites because he always worked hard.”
Favorite musician: Jay Z.
Favorite restaurant: Chipotle.
Favorite TV show: Friday Night Lights.
Favorite quality: “I’m a people person.”
Favorite part of his game: Speed.
Least favorite part of his game: Hands.
Hobbies: Video games, basketball, golf, Frisbee golf.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncf...9/introducing-top-2015-recruit-jashon-cornell

There are a lot of better people than ray lewis. People forget he should have gone to prison for involvement in the murder of two people I believe in Atlanta but got out of it because he sold out the people he was with. He might have been a good player, but as a person he is a fraud.

There are a lot of better people than ray lewis. People forget he should have gone to prison for involvement in the murder of two people I believe in Atlanta but got out of it because he sold out the people he was with. He might have been a good player, but as a person he is a fraud.

Yeah, I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that too.

School Subject: “Science. I always knew I can get an A in it. I like history, too.”
Favorite professional sports team: “The Warriors. They just got Andre Iguodala."
Hobbies: Video games, basketball, golf, Frisbee golf.

The U, much like their local high School, seems to never have a shot at CDH kids who have other options. Like this kid though. He certainly can think outside the box!;)

Jashon Cornell called the next Jadeveon Clowney during the Apopka and Byrnes football game by the ESPN writer in charge of football recruiting.

It's not about how good the team is, it is about how goodd the individual players on the team are for a game to be national televised

In this case it would be player. East ridge would be a more interesting match up. They will have 3x the talent as CDH in terms of individuals. Stillwater will be solid.

In this case it would be player. East ridge would be a more interesting match up. They will have 3x the talent as CDH in terms of individuals. Stillwater will be solid.

East Ridge does not have 3x the talent not even close. East Ridge have J.C. Hassenauer and tight end George Behr, along with Seth Green a sophomore quarterback. JC is a center, not the type of player that makes TV appealing but a good player none the less. George Behr is at best a mediocre tight end and who knows about Seth Green at this point.

Cretin has corner Tim Gordon who is an equal to George Behr as far as talent goes. Both are going to be lower quality players at any sizable program they land at. Jashon Cornell is the top prospect in an entire recruiting class, with unfathomable potential and plays at a position of at least some television interest. His talent greatly exceeds that of JC. And Jojo Garcia a sophomore like Seth Green has as much potential in the class of 2016.

Cretin and East Ridge play on the 27th so I suppose there's that possibility, but East Ridge and Cretin do not have equal talent, Cretin has more. And East Ridge definitely does not have 3x the talent.

Disagree. East ridge is better across the board talent wise. Cretin was a bottom half of the class 6 last year. Especially after losing their last two games. Plus they're undisciplined with the number of personal fouls. Most penalized team in the SEC last year. Stillwater should still be a nice match up due to their physicality.

Disagree. East ridge is better across the board talent wise. Cretin was a bottom half of the class 6 last year. Especially after losing their last two games. Plus they're undisciplined with the number of personal fouls. Most penalized team in the SEC last year. Stillwater should still be a nice match up due to their physicality.

I guess we'll see who ESPN picks. I bet you they'll select Cretin against whoever because they have better talent. They finished 6-3 last year, which isn't so bad. And are thought to be one of the contenders for the state title this year. We'll see how East Ridge does. Stillwater I know nothing about, so I can't say either way.

They could contend for the SEC. What they can do is turn things around quickly with their ability to bring in new talent. I'll quit there. Would love to see him end up in maroon and gold and break a trend of their top talent going elsewhere. Hopefully he is a better student and citizen than their last big time recruit.

East Ridge does not have 3x the talent not even close. East Ridge have J.C. Hassenauer and tight end George Behr, along with Seth Green a sophomore quarterback. JC is a center, not the type of player that makes TV appealing but a good player none the less. George Behr is at best a mediocre tight end and who knows about Seth Green at this point.

Cretin has corner Tim Gordon who is an equal to George Behr as far as talent goes. Both are going to be lower quality players at any sizable program they land at. Jashon Cornell is the top prospect in an entire recruiting class, with unfathomable potential and plays at a position of at least some television interest. His talent greatly exceeds that of JC. And Jojo Garcia a sophomore like Seth Green has as much potential in the class of 2016.

Cretin and East Ridge play on the 27th so I suppose there's that possibility, but East Ridge and Cretin do not have equal talent, Cretin has more. And East Ridge definitely does not have 3x the talent.

Unfortunately, Jo Jo is not at CDH. He may in fact be at EastRidge for this year. He did not leave voluntarily, but word is he would like to return to CDH next year. He is a beast - hope he makes it back to CDH. Go Raiders!

My nephew plays for Osseo and we saw Jashon Cornell play today. He is 16 going on 20, talk about a physical freak! Tim Gordon, also from CDH, played very physical the entire game as well. A little undersized I think but a solid player. Connor Wilkie from Andover was there too. Didn't see him play but a really big QB. I was impressed with the talent on CDH this year. They should make a run in state.

Top Bottom