All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

I'd rather get highly ranked in state recruits, than even higher ranked out of state recruits. We need to set a precident of retaining in state talent.

I'd love to see Johnson and DeLaSalle take on Tyus Jones and Apple Valley this year. They're obviously in different classes but anyone know if they're in any tourneys together or otherwise on the schedule?

I'd rather get highly ranked in state recruits, than even higher ranked out of state recruits. We need to set a precident of retaining in state talent.
Couldn't agree more. Its great to see the staff recruiting everywhere, but minnesota is going to have good classes in upcoming years. As tireless of a recruiter we keep hearing Coach P is i feel encouraged he'll put in the time and effort.

Also, in my opinion (been to 8 or 9 games and watched the highlight videos) Jarvis has the potential to be a very very good player and seems like he would fit into pitino's system perfectly

I'm always amazed at how easily the kid gets up to the rim. Not the most important talent for a PG obviously, but still fun to see

I wouldn't be surprised if we locked up Johnson relatively early, especially if we get Reid. In fact, I think either him or Alex Illikainen will be our first 2015 commit.

I wouldn't be surprised if we locked up Johnson relatively early, especially if we get Reid. In fact, I think either him or Alex Illikainen will be our first 2015 commit.

Johnson, Illikainen and Ellensen would be a Rey good class. Good shot at all three.

STrib blog: Catching up with DeLaSalle's Jarvis Johnson

What has your contact with [Minnesota] been like since the Gophers offered you? Well, it’s been good. I’ve been talking to Ben Johnson a lot since he’s a DeLaSalle grad, so we’ve been in contact a lot.

Are you pretty close, you and Ben Johnson? Yup, I would say so.

Does he come to the school anymore? Yeah, he does, like a couple practices we had last year he came to, not just because he was a Nebraska coach but because he’s an alumni, so he was around.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/214765011.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

STrib blog: Catching up with DeLaSalle's Jarvis Johnson

What has your contact with [Minnesota] been like since the Gophers offered you? Well, it’s been good. I’ve been talking to Ben Johnson a lot since he’s a DeLaSalle grad, so we’ve been in contact a lot.

Are you pretty close, you and Ben Johnson? Yup, I would say so.

Does he come to the school anymore? Yeah, he does, like a couple practices we had last year he came to, not just because he was a Nebraska coach but because he’s an alumni, so he was around.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/214765011.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Interestingly, the article says Tubby has offered from TT after not paying him much attention while at Minnesota.

Has anything about the process surprised you – "when it comes to the aggressiveness of coaches or things they’ll say or anything like that? Not really, but just hearing from some coaches is like – wham. Like Izzo, when I got that call, it was kind of overwhelming, but it’s also kind of nice."

Do you get nervous when you talk to guys like that? "I mean, Izzo is obviously a legend. Yeah, at first I did, but now I’ve kind of gotten used to it."

not pleased to hear this but whatever

MN Daily: Sitting down with Gophers target Jarvis Johnson

During available times, how often are you in contact with coach Pitino and the Gophers staff?

Johnson: “Me and [Gophers assistant coach Ben Johnson] are really really close, so we kind of get at it a lot during the week, because he used to go to DeLaSalle and he’s an alum, so we kind of talk a lot.”

Do you have any schools that are towards the top of your list?

Johnson: : “No. Not right now.”

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-f...09/sitting-down-gophers-target-jarvis-johnson

Go Gophers!!

Bo trying to steal Jarvis. Not sure why he'd want to cross the border to play for a slow paced team like Wisconsin.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Jarvis Johnson (DLS) was offered a basketball scholarship by Bo Ryan at Wisconsin today. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PULLEYHOOPS&src=hash">#PULLEYHOOPS</a>.</p>— Errol Carlstrom (@PulleyHoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/PulleyHoops/statuses/357618392317956096">July 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I can see it unfortunately. I could see the appeal of being on a team that consistently outperforms expectations.

edit: Not that I would ever cheer for them or anything. I am just pointing out that it could be appealing

Bo trying to steal Jarvis. Not sure why he'd want to cross the border to play for a slow paced team like Wisconsin.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Jarvis Johnson (DLS) was offered a basketball scholarship by Bo Ryan at Wisconsin today. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PULLEYHOOPS&src=hash">#PULLEYHOOPS</a>.</p>— Errol Carlstrom (@PulleyHoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/PulleyHoops/statuses/357618392317956096">July 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Apparently Johnson likes their style and he sounds pretty high on Wisconsin.

"I like their style of play," he said. "Also it's close to home, but it's far enough away. I haven't really thought about my top schools yet, but they're going to be high."

Apparently Johnson likes their style and he sounds pretty high on Wisconsin.

"I like their style of play," he said. "Also it's close to home, but it's far enough away. I haven't really thought about my top schools yet, but they're going to be high."

If your a heady, physical guard, I could see liking they style, and if you're a hairy 45 yr old man playing open gym..... Not sure where he fits in that...

he like their style? i doubt that and feel he is just saying that, no chance he goes to wiscy

he like their style? i doubt that and feel he is just saying that, no chance he goes to wiscy

Jordan Taylor liked their system and had plenty of success. You think Bo won't try to sell him on being the next JT?

Jordan Taylor liked their system and had plenty of success. You think Bo won't try to sell him on being the next JT?

Jordan Taylor also fit their style better. Jarvis could strap a 50 pound weight to his chest and still run faster and jump higher than Taylor. Jarvis is at his best in a fast paced game. Much better fit at Minnesota.

Not sure that would be a great sales pitch, Taylor wasn't drafted and based on the fact he is playing at Pulley, I'm not even sure he is playing over seas. I'm sure Jarvis wants to play in the NBA. Bo hasn't put many guards in the NBA, only one I can think of is Devin Harris. His offense/system just doesn't do a great job of developing guards for the next level.

Not sure that would be a great sales pitch, Taylor wasn't drafted and based on the fact he is playing at Pulley, I'm not even sure he is playing over seas. I'm sure Jarvis wants to play in the NBA. Bo hasn't put many guards in the NBA, only one I can think of is Devin Harris. His offense/system just doesn't do a great job of developing guards for the next level.

I believe Taylor was/is in the D league and playing summer league somewhere. Hence he was at Pulley same as Rodney and Trevor were.

I used to agree with the sentiments about Taylor, but watching him at Pulley he was super impressive. He looked a lot slimmer than in college, his handle was extremely quick, he was one of the better players I've seen there.

To me, he either really put in work after he finished school (reasonable considering no more class) or the Wisconsin system didn't allow him to show all the ability he had. He was easily the player I was most surprised by at Pulley. Took me almost a full half to recognize it was even him.

(Grain of salt- Pulley isn't always the best indicator either)

Jarvis could strap a 50 pound weight to his chest and still run faster and jump higher than Taylor.

So could Usain Bolt, but if I'm building a college basketball team, I'd rather have Taylor.

P.S. Not every single basketball player wants to play in an uptempo system. Do you know Johnson or can you cite quotes where he says he wants to play in that style?

Most of this fanbase doesn't care how we do in the NCAA tournament. All they care about is regular season finish in the Big Ten.

Its tough to know how our fanbase would react to NCAA tournament success or success in the B1G standings, given that we haven't really had either recently. Over the past 6 years, we missed the tourney three times, and had a 25% winning percentage in our three trips. During that same stretch, we had 4 losing B1G seasons and 2 .500 B1G seasons, with no winning B1G seasons.

So could Usain Bolt, but if I'm building a college basketball team, I'd rather have Taylor.

P.S. Not every single basketball player wants to play in an uptempo system. Do you know Johnson or can you cite quotes where he says he wants to play in that style?

Yes. "Although he claims to not have any favorites, Johnson knows what he’s looking for in a college. Jarvis wants, 'a school that pushes the tempo and likes to get up and down.'”

Top Bottom