All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

Agreed. Certainly wouldn't hurt with AI, Coffey, and Sacar in mind as well. I could see top recruits following Jarvis to Minnesota if he commits here in the summer. (Fingers crossed)

It would be nice to have Johnson, but I think some people think he's better than he actually is. There are better point guards out there who really like us, like Dorsey.

It would be nice to have Johnson, but I think some people think he's better than he actually is. There are better point guards out there who really like us, like Dorsey.

And how exactly do you know that Dorsey is better? Watching 1 good game he had at the EYBL suddenly makes you an expert on him? Nobody is declaring Jarvis is going to be an All-American in college, but he has potential to do some special things for the University of Minnesota.
(Smh.... We finally get a good local recruit to show us some serious interest and you act like we don't even need him)

And how exactly do you know that Dorsey is better? Watching 1 good game he had at the EYBL suddenly makes you an expert on him? Nobody is declaring Jarvis is going to be an All-American in college, but he has potential to do some special things for the University of Minnesota.
(Smh.... We finally get a good local recruit to show us some serious interest and you act like we don't even need him)

No. I said it would be nice to get him. That doesn't mean I have to believe he is great or that I cannot state other players are better. I could care less if he is from Minnesota. I do not favor Minnesota kids over out of state kids if out of state kids are better.

Johnson needs to learn how to shoot and how to run a half court offense. He is an athletic project. I would prefer someone better if it's feasible.

I would be VERY surprised if Michigan State is an option for Jarvis anymore. They just picked up another transfer in PG Bryn Forbes who averaged about 16 ppg for Cleveland State as a Sophomore this year. Will be eligible in 15-16. Forbes, and Tum Tum at PG, with Eron Harris at SG. Wouldn't think Jarvis would even consider it with the logjam at the guard spots.

Forbes, like Harris, is more of a 2-guard. There'd be plenty of room for Izzo to add another PG to go along with Tum Tum in 2015-16. Izzo pretty consistently has 3-4 guards that will get plenty of minutes.

For Jarvis to be playing so poorly, he's been racking up offers this spring/summer. According to Ryan James via Twitter, he was just offered by Wichita State. If he actually plays well in July, we may for sure be going after Dorsey and/or Hazzard.

Agreed. Certainly wouldn't hurt with AI, Coffey, and Sacar in mind as well. I could see top recruits following Jarvis to Minnesota if he commits here in the summer. (Fingers crossed)

Can we put an end to this line of thinking once and for all? People were saying the same thing last year regarding the big 3, so how can Jarvis and Alex even be considering us? Is it possible that players make up their own mind as to where they go to school? Or would you choose to go to the same school as some random guy that you barely know?

Can we put an end to this line of thinking once and for all? People were saying the same thing last year regarding the big 3, so how can Jarvis and Alex even be considering us? Is it possible that players make up their own mind as to where they go to school? Or would you choose to go to the same school as some random guy that you barely know?

I'm not sure how much of your post is sarcasm, if any, but I think it definitely can influence some players' decisions to stay in Minnesota. Do you think if Reid Travis had chosen the Gophers last year that wouldn't have given Minnesota any help recruiting Jarvis to stay home as well? I certainly think it would have been an added bonus in Minnesota's recruitment of Jarvis. I realize it's not the primary reason a player chooses School A over School B, but players go to the same school as their buddies all the time (see Tyus/Okafor last year). A lot of the top MN players coming up these next few years (Jarvis, Alex, Sacar, Coffey, Trent, Davison, etc.) are all playing for Howard Pulley and likely developing relationships; I wouldn't consider them to be "random guys" that "barely know" each other. Heck, there was even a Strib article with direct quotes from the players saying they have at least talked about playing together...how serious they were is up for debate, but it at least has crossed minds.

I'm not sure how much of your post is sarcasm, if any, but I think it definitely can influence some players' decisions to stay in Minnesota. Do you think if Reid Travis had chosen the Gophers last year that wouldn't have given Minnesota any help recruiting Jarvis to stay home as well? I certainly think it would have been an added bonus in Minnesota's recruitment of Jarvis. I realize it's not the primary reason a player chooses School A over School B, but players go to the same school as their buddies all the time (see Tyus/Okafor last year). A lot of the top MN players coming up these next few years (Jarvis, Alex, Sacar, Coffey, Trent, Davison, etc.) are all playing for Howard Pulley and likely developing relationships; I wouldn't consider them to be "random guys" that "barely know" each other. Heck, there was even a Strib article with direct quotes from the players saying they have at least talked about playing together...how serious they were is up for debate, but it at least has crossed minds.
+1, If a recruit from Minnesota makes a package deal with a guy all the way from Chicago than why is it so hard to believe that 2 guys that actually played on the same AAU or high school team would maybe discuss the possibility?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Front runner for Minnesota Mr. Basketball next year has to be DeLaSalle's Jarvis Johnson now with Alex Illikainen going to Brewster Academy.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/479087300601577472">June 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Front runner for Minnesota Mr. Basketball next year has to be DeLaSalle's Jarvis Johnson now with Alex Illikainen going to Brewster Academy.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/479087300601577472">June 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!
Sacar Anim could challenge if he has a good year. Don't sleep on Bjorn Broman either if he averages 40+ a game again next season.

per Amelia's Q&A:

@sgarvey03: @AmeliaRayno what are your thoughts on Jarvis Johnson falling out of ESPN top 100? Still top target?

Often those rankings can be based on one particular outing -- the one in which the ESPN representative saw the player. Anyone who has watched Johnson's game consistently shouldn't be worried. The Gophers will continue to go hard after the four-star point guard -- who is still ranked No. 85 nationally according to Rivals.

@troothtooth: @AmeliaRayno The #Gophers also seem to be offering a lot of point guards for 2015? Depth or nervous Jarvis Johnson goes elsewhere? #aMAILiabag

That's just smart recruiting. I think Minnesota believes they have a solid chance with Johnson right now and at one point, the Gophers were probably the favorite. As the floor general's recruitment has exploded, that grip has probably gotten a little more tenuous. Either way, putting all your eggs in one fickle, 17-year-old's basket (that's not a statement about Johnson, who seems to have a good head on his shoulders, but rather young recruits in general) is not wise. No one knows what he'll ultimately decide. I am sure they are making him very aware, however, that he is still the No. 1 target.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/263661551.html

Go Gophers!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u3aL7jHw3GE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gophers team camp highlights

I can't remember the last time we heard a top tier MN recruit mention the influence of having family/friends attend games easily. And there wasn't even a leading question that provoked it. Good to hear.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In regards to my recent Jarvis Johnson <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/crystalball?src=hash">#crystalball</a> prediction change...</p>— Bryan Kriss (@HardwoodElite) <a href="https://twitter.com/HardwoodElite/statuses/488844646752071680">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>My gut told me MN was out after Dorsey committed, but family member told me nothing has really changed. Gophers still very much in it.</p>— Bryan Kriss (@HardwoodElite) <a href="https://twitter.com/HardwoodElite/statuses/488844689018089472">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

If I were Jarvis, I would want to be on the floor with players like Dorsey and Mason. Dorsey's verbal would lock me in.

Good players generally want to play with other good players. That is the biggest positive with locking up a 4-star PG this early in the recruiting cycle.

It's kind of crazy how well Jarvis would complement Dorsey and vice versa. I think we'd see a lot of Dorsey to Jarvis alley oops. I actually could even see us going small ball with Dorsey, Jarvis, and Mason (playing a trapping zone) because they all bring something a little different. Dorsey is the speedy distributor, Mason is the good shooter, and Johnson is the athletic freak and all are good ball handlers.

Not trying to be a downer... But be realistic... I am excited we have a commitment of this stature... But until he signs on the dotted line he's not locked up

Not trying to be a downer... But be realistic... I am excited we have a commitment of this stature... But until he signs on the dotted line he's not locked up

True enough but backing out of commitments made this close to signing date is still rare in basketball. Football is another story. I can't remember any recent situations in which a committed player backed out on us. Rickert committed to AZ and backed out and came here. El Amin committed here and took a sucker punch from Archambault and backed out, but his commitment came when he was a sophomore in high school. Those were a long time ago.

Nothing's absolutely for sure, but I'm counting Dorsey in the fold now.

Guards make this whole game go... Come on, Jarvis! Let's do this!

You must be a football fan first (not that there is anything wrong with that). Technically you're right, but players backing out of commitments this late in basketball are very uncommon.

Top Bottom