All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

What that video tells me is that he is a 2 guard or a small forward. He isn’t athletic (to clarify…quick or fast) enough to be a pg on a very good college team.
So odd that he’s ranked the ninth best PG in his class by experts and a person who apparently has issues with keeping his blanky dry😉, doesn’t see it.

You’re probably one of the illustrious posters, who also said Cam couldn’t play in the B10 because he wasn’t heavy enough.

So odd that he’s ranked the ninth best PG in his class by experts and a person who apparently has issues with keeping his blanky dry😉, doesn’t see it.

You’re probably one of the illustrious posters, who also said Cam couldn’t play in the B10 because he wasn’t heavy enough.
Didn’t say that. I always said he was a shooting guard, which he is. Asuma doesn’t have elite athleticism, that isn’t really a knock. He is still a fine player, and a good recruit. But he isn’t a speedster.

Also, how was Dennis Evans ranked? These rankings mean next to nothing.

Didn’t say that. I always said he was a shooting guard, which he is. Asuma doesn’t have elite athleticism, that isn’t really a knock. He is still a fine player, and a good recruit. But he isn’t a speedster.
IIRC Larry Bird wasn’t much of an athlete either?

Oh my! Forget that I brought up Hawkins (only did so as a representation of ball movement which is coaching).

As has been discussed ad naseum on this forum it is a totally unfair comparison to compare the recruiting of a new coach in a historically mediocre program to that of a coach in a program with a winning tradition. That is what is known as false equivalency. Minnesota can not recr on a par with Wisconsin and will not be able to do so until we start winning over 500, if then. Perhaps we can pluck a gem now and then like Christie and Asuma, but be realistic in your expectations.

what I was responding to was the assertion that Ben could not develop a player, a guard, which is a totally unfounded assertion, and in my opinion unfair, and BS.

See you at the game! I have no more to say about this.
Wisconsin's recruiting rankings aren't even that great. They live in the 75-175 rated players most of the time. There is no reason that a good coach cannot out recruit Wisconsin. They get players who fit their system and then they coach them up. The problem is BEN JOHNSON cannot out recruit Wisconsin because of who HE is and where the program is at. Ben has not even gotten close to out recruiting Pitino. Christie is Ben's best recruit to date so maybe there is positive momentum in that regard.

Gard definitely knows how to coach his guys into effectively using the clock in the final minute of a 1 possession ball game.

He’s as athletic as Eric Harris, a 6-3 PG who got us to the final four.
Hawkins is one of the 2-3 fastest players in the big ten. He is also one of the smallest.
Assuma will give the coach more options even if you play him along side Hawkins, he is bigger than Mitchell.

elite athletic pg’s name me 7 in the big ten?

He’s as athletic as Eric Harris, a 6-3 PG who got us to the final four.
Hawkins is one of the 2-3 fastest players in the big ten. He is also one of the smallest.
Assuma will give the coach more options even if you play him along side Hawkins, he is bigger than Mitchell.

elite athletic pg’s name me 7 in the big ten?
I think our Final Four team had a little more talent surrounding Eric Harris than what will be surrounding Assuma (can we agree to that)? Time will tell with Assuma, I think he will ultimately be a low % shooting 2 guard, which would either require Christie to shift to SF or force Assuma into a position he isn't suited for (as a Sophomore), which is PG.

Next year (when it matters) when the team realizes he isn't fast enough or good enough as a ball handler at the P6 level.
damn straight. screw these players that aren't bigten ready while still in high school

iowa and iowa state offers. those gotta be the worst coaches for assessing talent

damn straight. screw these players that aren't bigten ready while still in high school

iowa and iowa state offers. those gotta be the worst coaches for assessing talent
He’d rather belittle one of our recruits, rather than admit he was wrong about him.

Beyond 😢

Asuma is a great kid, loves our program and is going to be a terrific player here. He is one of the reasons I'd like to see Ben make it against the odds. Ben recruits quality people and that is an admirable trait.

umm, that's why i typed a comparison was "silly".

as for me, i just think gard is the next chryst. started on third and is moonwalking his way to second. as for asuma and freitag player development. doubts it matters. don't think either coach will still be there in 4 years. Gophers because they take forever to recognize their mistakes. Badgers because they correct more quickly
I’ll have one of whatever you’re taking please

Wisconsin's recruiting rankings aren't even that great. They live in the 75-175 rated players most of the time. There is no reason that a good coach cannot out recruit Wisconsin. They get players who fit their system and then they coach them up. The problem is BEN JOHNSON cannot out recruit Wisconsin because of who HE is and where the program is at. Ben has not even gotten close to out recruiting Pitino. Christie is Ben's best recruit to date so maybe there is positive momentum in that regard.
MN hasn’t out recruited Wisconsin since the 1990s on any sort of regular basis.

They shouldn’t be recruiting players to play PG, who most likely can’t play PG. Time will tell. I don’t think he would play PG at any P6 school.

Last edited:

I think Asuma is definitely Big 10 ready, I just don't know if he's ready to be a PG. That's okay, I see him as more of a good ball handling SG. It's kind of how I see Christie.

I was referring to him moving up to Virginia where he's shooting 32%. He should have stayed at UST. They're having a great year.
Can anyone blame him though if the reported NIL deal is accurate? $200K a year, a chance to play in a very good conference, play on a recent National Champion (with aspirations to get back), a team that is NCAA tourney eligible (UST is not for another 3 years)...hard to pass that up. Further, I am a UST grad and if he doesn't want to live in the Greater MSP area, a degree from Virginia may help him further in life.

Players from the Summit League (and its fellow low majors) with the chance to move up to a P6 with NIL, should. That’s harsh for low majors, but it’s reality.

Players from the Summit League (and its fellow low majors) with the chance to move up to a P6 with NIL, should. That’s harsh for low majors, but it’s reality.
And sadly, the Gophers and low level P6 is trending in the same direction as mid-majors...they are turning into a proving ground for high p6 schools.

Top Bottom