All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

North Stars Alert on the Hockey Grid. It's one of the few times I was able to go 9-9, but there were some pretty easy other categories. "Rarity" score is 228.

- ND goalie.
- Most prolific US born goal scorer.
- Sinclair.

I did have to look up and verify that the Hart Trophy is awarded to the NHL Most Valuable Player.

Last edited:

For todays baseball grid, I tried completing with all Twins and was able to fill 8/9 slots; MVP-center field was my miss. Turns out Don Baylor would have gotten me there-I just cannot picture him roaming centerfield, even as a young man.

For todays baseball grid, I tried completing with all Twins and was able to fill 8/9 slots; MVP-center field was my miss. Turns out Don Baylor would have gotten me there-I just cannot picture him roaming centerfield, even as a young man.
I didn't set out to be Twins focused but did go with all 6 them in the non-MVP categories.

Laudner scored low for All Star/C at 0.2%, but Engle for All Star/3B was 0.002%. I can't recall an answer being carried out to the thousandth percentile.

MVP overall boosted my overall rarity to 22%. Never would have thought of Baylor, both as MVP or CF..

Twins alert on the board and its a prime board today for a low score with the "Pitched Minimum 1 Game" category. I'm currently sitting at 7%, I'll post my board later today--a good day, but no Engle at .0001% happening for me :oops:

Engle eventually dropped to 0.0001%.

Vikings Alert on the Football Grid:

- Mud Bowl QB / 0.7%
- Royalton native C / 0.6%
- CBS WR / 4%
I don't know who the Mud Bowl QB is--I chose Bob Berry (.5%), Langer, and Carl Eller ended up at .4% for the Seahawks slot.

I don't know who the Mud Bowl QB is--I chose Bob Berry (.5%), Langer, and Carl Eller ended up at .4% for the Seahawks slot.
Mud Bowl QB is Bob Lee, in LA vs the Rams in the 1977 Divisional Playoff round. We matched on Langer and the other is Burleson.

Twins alert on the board and its a prime board today for a low score with the "Pitched Minimum 1 Game" category. I'm currently sitting at 7%, I'll post my board later today--a good day, but no Engle at .0001% happening for me :oops:
Congrats on the overall rarity.

- 20 Game winner for both in the 60s. 1%
- Bearded closer. 2%
- Turtle. 3%

I was hoping for something overall in the teens, but Devon White blew up my score for Halos/Jays,

Congrats on the overall rarity.

- 20 Game winner for both in the 60s. 1%
- Bearded closer. 2%
- Turtle. 3%

I was hoping for something overall in the teens, but Devon White blew up my score for Halos/Jays,
My baseball card collection came through in a big way today, especially for the likes of Hartenstein, Cardenas, Wynegar, but none more so than Mulliniks--that was my last square left and I sat on it for awhile, trying to conjure the obscurity who I knew I had both as an Angel and Blue Jay back in the day. It also helped that I recently read a SABR snippet on Dazzy Vance that mentioned the Reds as one of the teams that he rode out the string with. Without that recent knowledge, there's no way I would have been under 20% (would have been a member of the Big Red Machine, Seaver, or Larkin who I would have tapped).

On another note, on the NBA board, I was able to garner a great score also, thanks largely to tapping into the Golden Gophers 1st round picks for Cavaliers (Jim Brewer-.06%), Trail Blazers (Pryz .1%) and the Hawks (Lou Hudson .1%)
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 9.34.17 PM.png

My baseball card collection came through in a big way today, especially for the likes of Hartenstein, Cardenas, Wynegar, but none more so than Mulliniks--that was my last square left and I sat on it for awhile, trying to conjure the obscurity who I knew I had both as an Angel and Blue Jay back in the day. It also helped that I recently read a SABR snippet on Dazzy Vance that mentioned the Reds as one of the teams that he rode out the string with. Without that recent knowledge, there's no way I would have been under 20% (would have been a member of the Big Red Machine, Seaver, or Larkin who I would have tapped).

On another note, on the NBA board, I was able to garner a great score also, thanks largely to tapping into the Golden Gophers 1st round picks for Cavaliers (Jim Brewer-.06%), Trail Blazers (Pryz .1%) and the Hawks (Lou Hudson .1%)
I can't say I recalled Chuck Hartenstein. Very interesting career arc, with a 6 season gap in MLB until he got back in with the Jays in their expansion debut.

I can't say I recalled Chuck Hartenstein. Very interesting career arc, with a 6 season gap in MLB until he got back in with the Jays in their expansion debut.
I should have credited Super '70s Sports for the Hartenstein find:
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 9.49.06 PM.png

And since we're rolling out the baseball cards, one of my very favorite cards that's ever been in my collection (although it's a bit surprising they didn't label Oliva as Antonio):
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 9.51.52 PM.png

No Twins alert today, but I was able to use 6 of the 9 squares on former Twins-my favorite being the immortal Willie Norwood (I’ve been sitting on this one for awhile):

Attachments

• 9DC18C13-2FC3-4E6C-8F98-561EFBAFF80E.jpeg
    9DC18C13-2FC3-4E6C-8F98-561EFBAFF80E.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 1

No Twins alert today, but I was able to use 6 of the 9 squares on former Twins-my favorite being the immortal Willie Norwood (I’ve been sitting on this one for awhile):
I went with Rick Sofield in that cube. 0.009%.

Another non Twins alert where I was able to heavily populate the board with Twins, using 8 of 9 squares (only Bert Campenaris got in the way for a sweep). Here are the legendary names: Reboulet, Tovar, Stahoviak, Castino, Hocking, Punto, Leius, and Harper.

Another non Twins alert where I was able to heavily populate the board with Twins, using 8 of 9 squares (only Bert Campenaris got in the way for a sweep). Here are the legendary names: Reboulet, Tovar, Stahoviak, Castino, Hocking, Punto, Leius, and Harper.
I totally biffed it because I was certain Roy Smalley played in the outfield at some point. But the Twins I did use were Mauer, Sano, Polanco, Plouffe, and Kiriloff. Mauer was obviously easy, and the only one over 1%.

I used Campy on that top line as well, 11%, so not so much of a secret. I also used Gary Carter, 2%, on that top line with Tovar, also 2%. Probably could have come up with a rare Twin but wasn't thinking Twins centric. I did wind up using 7 though for an overall score on 17.

Killebrew
Polanco
Newman
Mauer
Castro
Puckett

I totally biffed it because I was certain Roy Smalley played in the outfield at some point. But the Twins I did use were Mauer, Sano, Polanco, Plouffe, and Kiriloff. Mauer was obviously easy, and the only one over 1%.

Mauer in the 1B/RF slot was 0.4%. Puckett in SS/RF was 0.2%.

Because the D-Backs were on the Grid, I opted to go for the Highest Rarity (Most Popular) Score, and got 248.

I got 6 out of the 9 of the Most Popular, and one of them I was only off by 1%. Looks like if you got 9 out of 9 one would get to the 271 range.

Because the D-Backs were on the Grid, I opted to go for the Highest Rarity (Most Popular) Score, and got 248.

I got 6 out of the 9 of the Most Popular, and one of them I was only off by 1%. Looks like if you got 9 out of 9 one would get to the 271 range.
You inspired me to try for a perfect April and I was cruising along until today when the D-Backs showed up--however, I was able to persevere with recalling some big names from their early days (Carlos Baerga, Luis Gonzalez, and Randy Johnson). Heaven help me if/when the Rays/Marlins show up.

You inspired me to try for a perfect April and I was cruising along until today when the D-Backs showed up--however, I was able to persevere with recalling some big names from their early days (Carlos Baerga, Luis Gonzalez, and Randy Johnson). Heaven help me if/when the Rays/Marlins show up.
Good one on Baerga. The other 2 are part of my half dozen that I wear out for the D-Backs.

I had Matt Williams & Greinke to go along with our match on the Big Unit. 60% feel like a crazy high number in a 2 franchise cube.

Twins Alert on the Grid.

- Opening Day Starter 2008. Journeyman. (0.4%)
- Took a rather unflattering nickname bestowed by Reusse quite personally. Papa Up (0.2%)
- Opening Day Starter in 1984. From Nicaragua. (0.6%)

You inspired me to try for a perfect April.

My perfect April is now toast. I got through the Rays just fine, but brain cramped on White Sox/Astros. Misfired with AJ Pierzynski.

Lesson learned is, I should get some caffeine in me before tackling the Grid.

My perfect April is now toast. I got through the Rays just fine, but brain cramped on White Sox/Astros. Misfired with AJ Pierzynski.

Lesson learned is, I should get some caffeine in me before tackling the Grid.
I'm still alive, by the skin of my teeth--somehow, someway remembered that former Mets phenom Paul Wilson blew out his arm and resurfaced with the Rays, which saved me. I live another day. Just hoping the Marlins aren't popping up anytime soon.

After solving today's grid, I seemed to recall that the early, awful Rays teams did what so many of the expansion teams do--load up on washed up former stars to try to garner attention and tickets. It's quite an impressive list of players in their prime. I don't recall the Marlins taking a similar approach though when they were building their team up.

Was happy to make the bottom row an all-Twins alum group, with sub 1% scores for all (J. Crain, D. West, J. Perry)

I'm still alive, by the skin of my teeth--somehow, someway remembered that former Mets phenom Paul Wilson blew out his arm and resurfaced with the Rays, which saved me. I live another day. Just hoping the Marlins aren't popping up anytime soon.

After solving today's grid, I seemed to recall that the early, awful Rays teams did what so many of the expansion teams do--load up on washed up former stars to try to garner attention and tickets. It's quite an impressive list of players in their prime. I don't recall the Marlins taking a similar approach though when they were building their team up.

Was happy to make the bottom row an all-Twins alum group, with sub 1% scores for all (J. Crain, D. West, J. Perry)
If you are still alive, best wishes with the Pirates 1st Round pick. Perhaps you have an idea of an obvious choice, but I whiffed. I did think of a couple later on (who were not drafted by the Bucs).

My guy Dan Smith former All-Missota out of Apple Valley qualified in yet another category.

If you are still alive, best wishes with the Pirates 1st Round pick. Perhaps you have an idea of an obvious choice, but I whiffed. I did think of a couple later on (who were not drafted by the Bucs).

My guy Dan Smith former All-Missota out of Apple Valley qualified in yet another category.
I am still standing, been keeping a low profile, like a pitcher with a no-hitter through 5-feels close yet far away at the same time. For Pirates, the current ace of the Yankees popped into my head but that category is one of my least favorite for MLB, I was fortunate that my stab with Cory Synder-Indians hit, thanks to the ‘85 Topps sub-set of Olympic team members.

I am still standing, been keeping a low profile, like a pitcher with a no-hitter through 5-feels close yet far away at the same time. For Pirates, the current ace of the Yankees popped into my head but that category is one of my least favorite for MLB, I was fortunate that my stab with Cory Synder-Indians hit, thanks to the ‘85 Topps sub-set of Olympic team members.
For the Pirates, after I erred by choosing Jason Bay, I thought of Lee Mazzeli, who was actually a #1 choice by the Mets. His .07 rarity was a kick in gut. Because of the earlier mistake, I didn't get to plug in Honus Wagner in the 200 Hit Season category.

Dave Winfield worked for the Guards.

For the Pirates, after I erred by choosing Jason Bay, I thought of Lee Mazzeli, who was actually a #1 choice by the Mets. His .07 rarity was a kick in gut. Because of the earlier mistake, I didn't get to plug in Honus Wagner in the 200 Hit Season category.

Dave Winfield worked for the Guards.
From the recesses of my memory, another Pirate popped-the immortal Sammy Khalifa who I recall was a hot prospect back in the day and sure enough, he was a 1st round pick.
G’damn, I love the Grid.

Attachments

• D8E56EBF-EFF6-4C2C-A67B-71B13EB243DA.jpeg
    D8E56EBF-EFF6-4C2C-A67B-71B13EB243DA.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0

Top Bottom