All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

I wasn’t able to snag a perfect score today (there’s a special kind of malevolence for putting the Rays and D-Backs on the same grid
I was ok on the Rays-DBacks cube as the is a well traveled reliever that qualifies as sort of a cheat code. I was tripped up on Pirates-DBacks. No chance on that one.

I wasn’t able to snag a perfect score today (there’s a special kind of malevolence for putting the Rays and D-Backs on the same grid).
Even though I got the Rays-Snakes right with Jackson, it was a brain cramp by me not plugging in Evan Longoria.

He's playing in the WS for cripes sake. I don't think I have his baseball card though, so out of sight, out of mind.

There's a new category on the Grid, 1st Round Draft Picks. A hint, because I wasn't sure at the description, but the players can be selected by another team. It's not required that they have been chosen by the team in the row.

I used a prominent slugger from the 90-00's that was drafted by one of the teams, but eventually moved to another also on the Grid and it worked for the second team.

Today's football grid includes a new "played whole career with one team" category. I don't know why, but for some reason I read that as requiring that the player be retired. It does not and realizing that would have made it much, much easier.

Today's football grid includes a new "played whole career with one team" category. I don't know why, but for some reason I read that as requiring that the player be retired. It does not and realizing that would have made it much, much easier.
Vikings alert on the Grid

I used 88 - 80 - 78.

For a non-Vikes box, I used Harry P, probably the only category he can ever be used, at least as a player. I suppose HoF still may qualify.

In recognition of the new World Champs, I want to recognize the team that has surprisingly become my second favorite team to pop-up on the baseball side of the Grid, the Texas Rangers. When I started doing the Grid, I thought the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, or Dodgers would emerge as the most memorable number of players from my youth. But the Rangers? That mediocre franchise that seemed to hover around the .500 mark in the best of times?

Let me give you a sampling of the Rangers rosters from a four year period, 1977 to 1980, which coincided with prime baseball card collecting years for myself. And mind you, this is not entire rosters--just a drop of my baseball card collection from Arlington, TX:
Gaylord Perry, Fergie Jenkins, Bert Byleven (all HOF's); Buddy Bell, Al Oliver, Charlie Hough, Rusty Staub, Toby Harrah, Bobby Bonds, Bert Campaneris, Jim Fregosi, Sparky Lyle, Oscar Gamble, Mickey Rivers, Danny Darwin, Mike Marshall, Doyle Alexander, Dock Ellis, Richie Zisk, Jon Matlack, Len Barker, Juan Beniquez, Jim Sundberg, Claudell Washington, Mike Hargrove, John Lowenstein.
Again, four years! If I had extended things out a bit, I could have included Jose Canseco, Rafael Palmeiro, A-Rod, Julio Franco, Ruben Sierra, Pudge Rodriguez, Juan Gonzalez, and of course, Nolan Ryan.

The Rangers over the years have truly been the youth hostel of franchises, bringing together an odd and colorful conglomeration of characters for brief amounts of time at their home. The most famous Ranger of all time is probably Nolan Ryan and he was on his fourth franchise and arrived at age 42. Very few of the notable Rangers started their career with Texas (Pudge, Juan Gonzalez, Sierra seem most prominent), but somehow they have brought in all sorts of talented individuals to do, up to this year, not much. But damn, do I love it when I see them on the grid!

In recognition of the new World Champs, I want to recognize the team that has surprisingly become my second favorite team to pop-up on the baseball side of the Grid, the Texas Rangers. When I started doing the Grid, I thought the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, or Dodgers would emerge as the most memorable number of players from my youth. But the Rangers? That mediocre franchise that seemed to hover around the .500 mark in the best of times?

Let me give you a sampling of the Rangers rosters from a four year period, 1977 to 1980, which coincided with prime baseball card collecting years for myself. And mind you, this is not entire rosters--just a drop of my baseball card collection from Arlington, TX:
Gaylord Perry, Fergie Jenkins, Bert Byleven (all HOF's); Buddy Bell, Al Oliver, Charlie Hough, Rusty Staub, Toby Harrah, Bobby Bonds, Bert Campaneris, Jim Fregosi, Sparky Lyle, Oscar Gamble, Mickey Rivers, Danny Darwin, Mike Marshall, Doyle Alexander, Dock Ellis, Richie Zisk, Jon Matlack, Len Barker, Juan Beniquez, Jim Sundberg, Claudell Washington, Mike Hargrove, John Lowenstein.
Again, four years! If I had extended things out a bit, I could have included Jose Canseco, Rafael Palmeiro, A-Rod, Julio Franco, Ruben Sierra, Pudge Rodriguez, Juan Gonzalez, and of course, Nolan Ryan.

The Rangers over the years have truly been the youth hostel of franchises, bringing together an odd and colorful conglomeration of characters for brief amounts of time at their home. The most famous Ranger of all time is probably Nolan Ryan and he was on his fourth franchise and arrived at age 42. Very few of the notable Rangers started their career with Texas (Pudge, Juan Gonzalez, Sierra seem most prominent), but somehow they have brought in all sorts of talented individuals to do, up to this year, not much. But damn, do I love it when I see them on the grid!
That 1977-80 era also pairs well with the Twins (Cabbage, Blyleven, Smalley). Serendipitous given the franchises originated in DC.

A couple of other versatile 80's Rangers are Sammy Sosa & Darrell Porter.

That 1977-80 era also pairs well with the Twins (Cabbage, Blyleven, Smalley). Serendipitous given the franchises originated in DC.

A couple of other versatile 80's Rangers are Sammy Sosa & Darrell Porter.
Bill Madlock, Rico Carty, and Jamie Moyer say “How do”

So the T-Wolves appear on the NBA grid today , which helped me considerably, but I was prevented from a clean board when I couldn’t place a Pacer and Wizard together; as per my suspicion, it was a pretty motley group that shared time with both franchises, but a familiar, notorious name popped up that I have seen often when I dig into the research a bit-Ron Behagen. It turns out he was quite the NBA journeyman, playing for 8 franchises in 11 seasons.

That got me curious as to the former Golden Gopher greats and how their NBA careers went, from a Grid perspective. Here’s my tally:
Behagen and Kris Humphries: 8 teams
Bobby Jackson, Ray Williams, and John Thomas: 6 teams
Archie Clark: 5 teams
Pryz, Jim Brewer, Randy Breuer: 4 teams
Trent Tucker, Mychal Thompson, Sam Jacobson: 3 teams
Lou Hudson and Quincy Lewis: 2 teams
Kevin McHale: 1 team

On a totally different note, I totally blanked on the Thurl Bailey era with the Wolves; it was during my college years so blame it on a drunken stupor, I guess? Tell me fellas, what did I miss?

On a totally different note, I totally blanked on the Thurl Bailey era with the Wolves; it was during my college years so blame it on a drunken stupor, I guess? Tell me fellas, what did I miss?
Going out on a limb, but the Thurl Bailey era did not result in the Wolves winning a playoff series.

Vikings on the Grid alert.

- Former 1st pick overall (from NYG in trade for #10)
- Love Boat Captain
- High draft choice originally seen as a bust, position change resulted in a HoF Career

Also, today was the first day I have ever used Prime on both the Baseball and Football Grids.

Today's your day for the Rangers.

I was only 8/9, did not venture a guess on the Rangers 200 Hit cube, because I already had missed the Blue Jays. Robbie Alomar is an incorrect answer for that one, but I did plug in a HoFer/Gopher that works.

Today's your day for the Rangers.

I was only 8/9, did not venture a guess on the Rangers 200 Hit cube, because I already had missed the Blue Jays. Robbie Alomar is an incorrect answer for that one, but I did plug in a HoFer/Gopher that works.
Strange day for me on the cube-7/9 with some deep cuts (Alfredo Griffin! Dean Palmer! Brian McRae! Bruce Botche for goodness sake!!!) but whiffed twice on the KC/Seattle connection—even with a certain spitballing HOF’er passing through my mind for another team that would have worked.

For that Blue Jays 200 hit category I went with their slick fielding shortstop from the ‘80s who I thought would be a HOF’er back in the day. I loved those ‘80s Blue Jays teams, what an outfield they had.

Strange day for me on the cube-7/9 with some deep cuts (Alfredo Griffin! Dean Palmer! Brian McRae! Bruce Botche for goodness sake!!!) but whiffed twice on the KC/Seattle connection—even with a certain spitballing HOF’er passing through my mind for another team that would have worked.

For that Blue Jays 200 hit category I went with their slick fielding shortstop from the ‘80s who I thought would be a HOF’er back in the day. I loved those ‘80s Blue Jays teams, what an outfield they had.
The '87 Twins might have caught a break with the Tigers edging out the Blue Jays for the AL East on the final day of the season.

Start to finish in the 80s, Toronto had a great run as SS.

For KC/Sea speaking of "whiffs" I went with a guy that was quite well known for doing just that. However, by today's standards, he might be considered a "contact" hitter, at least on the Twins. Bye Bye.

Last edited:

Playing the game, I have found out that Cy Young never won the "CY YOUNG AWARD" for pitching excellence. That doesn't seem right considering he won over 500 games.

Must have had a feud with the Baseball Writers Association back in the day.
Somebody affiliated with the Grid either heard me or is having some fun today.

In the 200+ WINS / CY YOUNG cube, Cy Young is a correct answer! He gets 2%.

This despite the Cy Young Award not being established until after the 1956 season. 1 year earlier Denton ""Cy" (short for Cyclone) Young had passed away at the age of 88.

His last MLB season was at the age of 44 in 1911, going a combined 7-9 for Cleveland (AL) and Boston (NL). He still had a sub 4.00 ERA and threw 126.1 innings.

During commercial breaks watching football, I revisited the Grid and came up with an All Twins board.

Rarity score = 25

Alphabetical order:

Bert Blyleven
Steve Carlton
Bortolo Colón
Jim Kaat
Jerry Koosman
Justin Morneau
Jack Morris
Tony Oliva
Johan Santana

2 caveats:

- The All-star & Cy Young Awards didn't necessarily have to be while in Minnesota.
- I had to cheat to identify Colón for my last cube. So close.

I achieved my white whale today, hitting the trifecta of perfection across MLB, NBA, and NFL. A few comments on each board:
* Re: MLB, I saw the Rockies on board and thought it'd be an impossibility, but our old friend LaTroy Hawkins and his peripatetic ways inched me towards perfection and a wild stab with Vinny Castilla being an Astro brought it home. A minor miracle on this board.
* NBA: I enjoy the latest addition of the universities that players attended (they had one for NFL and Alabama a couple weeks ago) and that helped considerably, as did the knowledge that Clyde Frazier ended his storied career with the late '70s Cavs.
*NFL: Usually the most difficult board for me, I was aided greatly by the presence of the Vikings, and the two special boards (5000+ yard receiving & 1st round pick). I was able to put to use three former Vikings QB's and my first favorite Viking, #85 Sammy White, to bring home the glory.

I achieved my white whale today, hitting the trifecta of perfection across MLB, NBA, and NFL. A few comments on each board:
* Re: MLB, I saw the Rockies on board and thought it'd be an impossibility, but our old friend LaTroy Hawkins and his peripatetic ways inched me towards perfection and a wild stab with Vinny Castilla being an Astro brought it home. A minor miracle on this board.
* NBA: I enjoy the latest addition of the universities that players attended (they had one for NFL and Alabama a couple weeks ago) and that helped considerably, as did the knowledge that Clyde Frazier ended his storied career with the late '70s Cavs.
*NFL: Usually the most difficult board for me, I was aided greatly by the presence of the Vikings, and the two special boards (5000+ yard receiving & 1st round pick). I was able to put to use three former Vikings QB's and my first favorite Viking, #85 Sammy White, to bring home the glory.

Good work on triple grid play! Especially well done with the hated Rockies.

For baseball, I biffed it on my first answer Red Sox/White Sox by totally confusing "Aaron Sele" with "Chris Sale". Duh. Should have just plugged in Pudge, who I don't think I have used before, ever.

For Vikes I went with:

- TCF Pitchman and later a restraunt proprietor.
- UCF.
- 3rd in the 3 Deep Poster.

Couldn't think of a Lion-Patriot though.

For baseball, I biffed it on my first answer Red Sox/White Sox by totally confusing "Aaron Sele" with "Chris Sale". Duh. Should have just plugged in Pudge, who I don't think I have used before, ever.

For Vikes I went with:

- UCF.

Thats the only one I missed too.

For Vikes I went with:

- UCF.

Matt Cassel came through, TBH, it was tucked away from reviewing a previous grid when those two teams aligned, no memory of Cassel as a Lion.

Twins Alert on the Grid.

- Alphabetically last.
- In the Twins HoF but accomplished the feat in DC.
- 2011 Rookie.

33 game hitting streak
great catch in 1965
only one season with the Twins

Went back to the well with a former 2B who sported a fabulous mustache

Also, great catch in ‘65

HOF’er who would have worked for the Halos category also.

You could put together quite a team of Twins/Angels including three HOF’ers and a few key contributors from the ‘87 champs.

Wolves on the Grid alert.

- Aussie Aussie Aussie
- From PR
- Current undrafted Big

Twins on the Grid alert. Teams only today.

- Part of a Father-Son duo for the Twins.
- Arizona Fall League injury.
- Hit 21 bombs this year.

Thank god for Zack Greinke.

Twofer Grid Day as the Viking are also on the Football Grid.

- Barefoot
- Snickers
- Just traded

Absolutely Zero Point Zero Chance of me coming up with the other 2 Jags.

Twins on the Grid alert. Teams only today.

- Part of a Father-Son duo for the Twins.
- Arizona Fall League injury.
- Hit 21 bombs this year.

Thank god for Zack Greinke.
I flailed on KC-Phillies and Arizona-Brewers (are the Twins the only franchise Greinke hasn't pitched for by now?) but here were my Twins:
-1984 All Star rep
-netted our closer in a trade
-slick fielding first sacker with a hard to spell last name

As for the Vikes, I whiffed on Vikes-Jags, totally overlooking the recent trade and the controversial free agent acquisition this off-season who scored a TD this past week. For the other two categories:
-HOF offensive lineman
-QB who was a small school MN prep legend (I still can see his tomahawk dunk coming down the lane in a state basketball tourney game from the early '90s)--he would have also worked for the Vikes/Jags box

I flailed on KC-Phillies and Arizona-Brewers (are the Twins the only franchise Greinke hasn't pitched for by now?) but here were my Twins:
-1984 All Star rep
-netted our closer in a trade
-slick fielding first sacker with a hard to spell last name

As for the Vikes, I whiffed on Vikes-Jags, totally overlooking the recent trade and the controversial free agent acquisition this off-season who scored a TD this past week. For the other two categories:
-HOF offensive lineman
-QB who was a small school MN prep legend (I still can see his tomahawk dunk coming down the lane in a state basketball tourney game from the early '90s)--he would have also worked for the Vikes/Jags box
For KC-Phi I used Jim Eisenreich. Good rarity score.

Today is a Rarity Hunters Delight on the Baseball Grid with 10+ HR and 10+ Win as categories. I was shooting for less than 10 but got 12 with:

L Tiant - D Dimaggio - C Mays
W Hoyt - D Kingman - V Blue
D Gullett - T Perez - P Borbon

Gullett is what cost me, 5%. Perez was 2 and all the others 1 or less. G Ruth would fit in all 3 Red Sox Cubes.

Top Bottom