All Things Gophers in All-Star Games

Jordan Howden tackled Tanner's running back.

The Senior Bowl being played this Saturday in Mobile, AL is the most prestigious of all the college all-star games, right? Looking at the rosters of the teams in it, would indicate that. I think the Shrine game would be the second rated game. I'm not sure how the players are chosen and invited to all of these games.

Do any of you Gopher Holer's have any insight into the various bowls, rosters and invite methodology?

Yup, checked the live stats on ESPN and Mo's name is not listed on RB rushing or receiving. Wonder if he got hurt pregame?
Some players were just part of the practice sessions and didn't want to play in the game - the idea being the NFL scouts get to watch them doing drills, and that injuries happen more often in actual games than practice. I'm guessing Mo chose that route.

Some players were just part of the practice sessions and didn't want to play in the game - the idea being the NFL scouts get to watch them doing drills, and that injuries happen more often in actual games than practice. I'm guessing Mo chose that route.
Could be. I only watched the second half and he was never on the field and I don't recall seeing him on the sideline either.

Michigan kicker wins MVP for going 4/4 on field goals. Not a lot of offense to be seen in this one.

some good jms discussion: go down to item 3
Nice pull about JMS, thanks for posting it.

some good jms discussion: go down to item 3
This guy has 2 centers ahead of JMS?? How? Must be based on measurables that the NFL likes to use. I'll take a stud football player like JMS any day over an "elite athlete" who plays football.

This guy has 2 centers ahead of JMS?? How? Must be based on measurables that the NFL likes to use. I'll take a stud football player like JMS any day over an "elite athlete" who plays football.
I was going to post it previously, but it seemed so outlandish I just said screw it. Someone from NFL.com (I think) released their top 50 for the upcoming draft and #27 overall was Wisconsin's center, Tippmann. He didn't even make honorable mention for the conference this year. Some guys look a bit too deep into crap trying to be "experts".

I was going to post it previously, but it seemed so outlandish I just said screw it. Someone from NFL.com (I think) released their top 50 for the upcoming draft and #27 overall was Wisconsin's center, Tippmann. He didn't even make honorable mention for the conference this year. Some guys look a bit too deep into crap trying to be "experts".
Screenshot_20230203_103705_Chrome.jpg

Watched most of the game thinking he would get in during the 4th quarter. Did not realize he wasn't playing. Also noticed that Morgan was listed at just over 6' on the roster sheet.

NFL draft analysis has tilted more toward projection over production the past few years. I don't know how Schmitz will test and what his Relative Athletic Score (which has become quasi-religion for scouts and GMs) will be, but he's been an old-school productive guy and he's a mauler and that makes an impression. I'm guessing Day 2, but that because so few centers are taken in the first round.

His deep ball is better than you remember. He can air out 50+ yards which is all the distance he needs in the NFL. He's also aggessive pushing the ball downfield which got him in trouble against Purdue but may help him win a spot this spring.
The winning TD vs Indiana to Bateman in the rain was a dime. TD to Bateman in 2019 vs Wisconsin and the dime he threw to Crab at Fresno on 4th down were great to

don't know if this has been mentioned - but thought it was interesting.

all the players who participate in these events get weighed and measured.

I saw a tweet that Mo Ibrahim was listed at 5'7" and 203 lbs.

the official measurement for height is 5'7.4"

I know teams fudge heights and weights on the game programs - but the Gophers listed Mo at 5'10" - which is stretching it by 2-1/2 inches.

that does not mean that Mo can't be an NFL player - but it might alter how he is evaluated.

(FWIW - when I was in HS, our boys basketball team made the district playoffs. the coach submitted the information for the tournament program - and suddenly, almost every player on the team was 2" taller. sure made us look good in the program......)

I know teams fudge heights and weights on the game programs - but the Gophers listed Mo at 5'10" - which is stretching it by 2-1/2 inches.

that does not mean that Mo can't be an NFL player - but it might alter how he is evaluated.

(FWIW - when I was in HS, our boys basketball team made the district playoffs. the coach submitted the information for the tournament program - and suddenly, almost every player on the team was 2" taller. sure made us look good in the program......)
I was 5'10" for my entire varsity basketball career and I don't think I've ever measured 5'8".

I was 5'10" for my entire varsity basketball career and I don't think I've ever measured 5'8".
We had players put rolled up socks inside their shoes under their heels before they were measured in the pre-season to add an inch or two.

Thing I noticed last night is that Morgan wasn't wearing any rib protection or knee braces. He looked more mobile. He will likely be on a practice squad next year. Crazy to think that he and JMS were intending to go to Western Michigan.

We did the opposite for HS basketball. I jumped C at 6'5 7/8", my F's were 6'5" and 6"4. We were listed on the program at 6'4", 6'2" and 6'1". Yes, I tell people I'm 6'6". Never actually made it. lol

I used to claim 5'7" on my drivers' license. I'm actually 5'6" on a good day. used to bother me more when I was younger. the only time it bothers me now is when I can't reach the top shelf in the grocery store. nothing like standing there and jumping while trying to knock something off the shelf into your cart.......

I watched Ibrahim over the years and would have scoffed at anyone saying that he was 5'10".

I used to claim 5'7" on my drivers' license. I'm actually 5'6" on a good day. used to bother me more when I was younger. the only time it bothers me now is when I can't reach the top shelf in the grocery store. nothing like standing there and jumping while trying to knock something off the shelf into your cart.......
Now we know why you're so ornery.

The Athletic's NFL guy had Tippmann and Schmitz of MN as the top two centers.

Senior Bowl Winners​

Center: John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota (6-3, 306)​

Based on his 2021 tape, Schmitz looked like a solid Day 2 prospect entering his super-senior season. But his 2022 tape wasn’t as clean, especially in pass protection, which clouded his projection. This week in Mobile, however, Schmitz looked more like his old self and stacked win after win in one-on-ones and team drills.

When he keeps his hands and feet in concert, Schmitz can set down his anchor or effortlessly hook and out-leverage defenders. At Senior Bowl practices, he also showed off his movements away from the line of scrimmage to pave the way on screen passes. Wisconsin’s Joe Tippman was my top-graded center in my recent positional rankings, followed closely by Schmitz. But both look like immediate NFL starters.

People don’t believe me when I tell them I’m 6’ and almost 2”…until I tell them that it’s two different measurements.
giphy.gif

People don’t believe me when I tell them I’m 6’ and almost 2”…until I tell them that it’s two different measurements.

Senior Bowl Winners​

Center: John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota (6-3, 306)​

Based on his 2021 tape, Schmitz looked like a solid Day 2 prospect entering his super-senior season. But his 2022 tape wasn’t as clean, especially in pass protection, which clouded his projection. This week in Mobile, however, Schmitz looked more like his old self and stacked win after win in one-on-ones and team drills.

When he keeps his hands and feet in concert, Schmitz can set down his anchor or effortlessly hook and out-leverage defenders. At Senior Bowl practices, he also showed off his movements away from the line of scrimmage to pave the way on screen passes. Wisconsin’s Joe Tippman was my top-graded center in my recent positional rankings, followed closely by Schmitz. But both look like immediate NFL starters.
Skol please!

How fun are the Gophers these past few years? I can't remember getting this excited years ago for these college all-star games, and NFL combines. Let's hope going forward, we have continue to have this many prospects in the pipeline headed to the NFL. RTB!

Top Bottom