All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Winasota, you're missing Ahmad Gilbert from your list.

I think I had read or heard that we weren't going too hard after Trent, which seemed strange to me, as I think of Pitino as a guy with plenty of gusto, and I thought it indicated a lack of confidence. But perhaps Pitino was playing the long con in terms of waiting until he had locked up a solid 2016 class before going hard after Trent so he had more to sell. In any event, I would presume it's going to be an all out effort given these early and very impressive signings from here on out. Thoughts?

I think I had read or heard that we weren't going too hard after Trent, which seemed strange to me, as I think of Pitino as a guy with plenty of gusto, and I thought it indicated a lack of confidence. But perhaps Pitino was playing the long con in terms of waiting until he had locked up a solid 2016 class before going hard after Trent so he had more to sell. In any event, I would presume it's going to be an all out effort given these early and very impressive signings from here on out. Thoughts?

I wouldn't really want to waste the time or resources on something that has a very small percentage of happening. We lucked out in Amir's recruitment. Hoiberg left Ames and his injury made some teams back off. Not to mention his dad played here. Gary Trent Jr can basically go wherever he wants.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I wouldn't really want to waste the time or resources on something that has a very small percentage of happening. We lucked out in Amir's recruitment. Hoiberg left Ames and his injury made some teams back off. Not to mention his dad played here. Gary Trent Jr can basically go wherever he wants.

I would see if Amir can convince him to come on board for a year. See if we can lock up Theo Jon first and then see if we can convince Gary to carry his hometown team to the final four.

I would see if Amir can convince him to come on board for a year. See if we can lock up Theo Jon first and then see if we can convince Gary to carry his hometown team to the final four.

+1

I get what you're saying but at the same time I would be upset if we didn't at least try.

Definitely want two of John, Mar and Wright, Trent Jr a pipe dream, but would welcome him with open arms

I tend to agree, but he plays 25 minutes south of campus. That does not take a lot of time or resources.

I tend to agree, but he plays 25 minutes south of campus. That does not take a lot of time or resources.

Right- we have a lot of time with these early signings.. I really don't see the downside to making an aggressive play for him other than getting our feelings hurt if/when he were to go a different way. I think there is more downside involved in shying away and making the admission he is out of our league. Give em' all ya got Ben

Right- we have a lot of time with these early signings.. I really don't see the downside to making an aggressive play for him other than getting our feelings hurt if/when he were to go a different way. I think there is more downside involved in shying away and making the admission he is out of our league. Give em' all ya got Ben

Can someone enlighten me on the amount of time a staff can put in with recruits? It's easy to say "give em' hell", but doesn't that come at the expense of signing someone more realistic? Not being a pessimist, but I'd rather aim at the top 50 to 125 guys that fit the system as opposed to budgeting time to someone that can choose any school. At least until we have a roster that allows us to swing and miss.

But give'r hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seen this per Ryan James <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I am not sure if it has been discussed in this thread, but the Gophers currently have just one scholarship available for the 2017 class. That scholarship is currently held by Charles Buggs. With Trent Jr, John, Wright and Reuvers among others in state and a number of very interesting out of state kids:Sid Wilson, Adu Kigab, and Darius Perry (who the Gophers visited today per Cory Evans) among them, things have the potential to be very interesting on the recruiting front over the next 8-13 months or so.

I am not sure if it has been discussed in this thread, but the Gophers currently have just one scholarship available for the 2017 class. That scholarship is currently held by Charles Buggs. With Trent Jr, John, Wright and Reuvers among others in state and a number of very interesting out of state kids:Sid Wilson, Adu Kigab, and Darius Perry (who the Gophers visited today per Cory Evans) among them, things have the potential to be very interesting on the recruiting front over the next 8-13 months or so.

I am sure they'll figure out how to make room. Lot can happen as we all know on this board.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I know this has been said before, but I'd rather have Doogie or any other reporter use the recruits name versus their twitter handle. How the f@ck should the the average fan know who "Ballislife_025" is?

I know this has been said before, but I'd rather have Doogie or any other reporter use the recruits name versus their twitter handle. How the f@ck should the the average fan know who "Ballislife_025" is?

Clicky on linky for real namey....

Yea, this drives me nuts. I have a tough enough time remembering the names of recruits let alone their Twitter handles. It is lazy on their part, it's not lazy on my part because I just don't want to do it...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophers just offered Deng Gak this week (Australian kid who is at Blair Academy in New Jersey now). I hesitate to even post his video, because he looks like a Blue Blood kid (Kansas is going to/did watch him this week too).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jjpk4il_J8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gophers just offered Deng Gak this week (Australian kid who is at Blair Academy in New Jersey now). I hesitate to even post his video, because he looks like a Blue Blood kid (Kansas is going to/did watch him this week too).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jjpk4il_J8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just what we need, another African big :rolleyes:

Top Bottom