All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Awesome story! It shows how branding and success go hand and hand and can lead to even greater success. Forget the GI Joe and Barbie dolls the next time you are shopping for toys for a child, buy a Goldy Gopher instead! (Or go all out and decorate their room with stuff from the U!)

In reflecting on your story, maybe Santa delivered the Dallas gear to the wrong house?! I am glad that his mistake has led you to decades of happiness! You must have loved the Herschel Walker trade!
Gee thanks. Years of therapy following that trade and you undid it all by bringing it up here. Now I’m pissed all over again.

You shouldn’t do this to these fans. They are vulnerable.
Scheckie The 🤡, ladies and germs. Hardest working Borscht Belt comic still alive, he doesn’t even Take off Passover/ Easter weekend!

I guess old Scheck sees the ✍️ on the wall that after this weekend, he’ll be gainfully unemployed after Big Bens Portal Pickup!!
Never fear ‘Holers, we’ll find Scheck a spot as a Greeter at Walmart!

Toooooo soon, man.

But as long as we're on the subject...Doug Wrenn anyone?
Oh Gosh.....Doug Wrenn! That went on almost as long as Chris Webber. A little birdie kept telling Charlie Walters practically every day for what seemed like years that both of them were comin' here. That little birdie was a damn liar!

So do we just pack up the tents and fold the program like U of Chicago, aspire towards the middle of the B1G, or work our tails off to overcome this? This board has talked about all of the reasons that it is more difficult to win here countless times.

As I have said many times, our fans need to play a bigger role in elevating the status of this program in the community. Let's face it... the U has competition here in the pro leagues that many P5 schools are not up against.

The U suffers from a visibility problem in the TC. In some areas of outstate MN, you are more apt to see UND, NDSU, IA, ISU, and WI gear than Gopher gear. This needs to change. We need the U of M to be the dominant brand.

Here is a short list of some easy ways to make a difference in elevating the brand:
  1. Wear your Gopher gear proudly at every opportunity. Organize a wear our Gopher jersey to work tradition on Fridays.
  2. Buy Gopher gear as gifts... especially for children and new friends from out of state.
  3. Donate Gopher gear and toys for Toys for Tots drives and similar requests for donations.
  4. Provide Gopher gear/toys/tickets to charity auctions.
  5. Attend as many games with the target market in #2 as possible to help inculcate a love for the program or, at minimum, a connection to the program.
  6. Be a super fan... decorate your office/cube with Gopher paraphernalia, steer conversations away from the Vikes and to the Gophers at every opportunity, or organize a team function to include a Gopher connection like a game or tour of TCF, etc.
  7. Try to emphasize the positive and be less negative... the target market in #2 picks up on this negativity which lessens their positive perception of the program. Once lost, this target market is nearly impossible to gain back.
We can't be a national brand until we are a local one. We CAN make a difference.

Row the Boat, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers!
Yep, you are right.

What you're describing is basically how they have it in Nebraska. Now of course Omaha isn't nearly as big a city with as many transplants as come into the Twin Cities, but nonetheless. They show out 100% for Big Red no matter how much they're winning, and it has been baked into the culture.

And while you can say they don't have pro teams there ... they still kinda do. KC is an easy drive.

This guy has an unreliable history, correct?

I'm not really sure how he came up with that. Looking at 247's rankings he would be the 2nd highest behind Royce White, who never played here. He was ranked slightly ahead of Coffey and Oturu, so technically he would be the highest 247 recruit to ever play here.

247 didn't exist when Rickert and Humphries played here, but other recruiting services did and they were both in the top 10 nationally, which is higher than Garcia.

I'm not really sure how he came up with that. Looking at 247's rankings he would be the 2nd highest behind Royce White, who never played here. He was ranked slightly ahead of Coffey and Oturu, so technically he would be the highest 247 recruit to ever play here.

247 didn't exist when Rickert and Humphries played here, but other recruiting services did and they were both in the top 10 nationally, which is higher than Garcia.

Gee thanks. Years of therapy following that trade and you undid it all by bringing it up here. Now I’m pissed all over again.
148 yards on 18 carries vs the Pack in his first game... 98 yards the first two times that he touched the ball! He even lost his shoe on one run! This has to be good, right?!

148 yards on 18 carries vs the Pack in his first game... 98 yards the first two times that he touched the ball! He even lost his shoe on one run! This has to be good, right?!
It seemed that way....The Cowboys will probably screw up those draft picks anyway.

Darryl Mitchell was the top player in the country in 78 I think.

That's correcct. Both Rickert and Pryzbilla were top 5 nationally, I think. And if you go back further, into the Musselman and Dutcher eras, those were some big-time recruits and classes. The 1978 class was rated #1 in the country.

That's correcct. Both Rickert and Pryzbilla were top 5 nationally, I think. And if you go back further, into the Musselman and Dutcher eras, those were some big-time recruits and classes. The 1978 class was rated #1 in the country.
Wasn’t mychal Thompson _the_ top recruit?

Can't believe Ben let his cousin slip away to DePaul oast year. We needed him in the front court!
Almost as confusing as Race not coming home to play with Treyton, his brother. Just wish Mychal would have convinced his son, Race, to return.
It's hard to figure things out sometimes.

So according to the reports last week Dawson will be on campus today with his family. Seems like today could be the day he makes it official!

So according to the reports last week Dawson will be on campus today with his family. Seems like today could be the day he makes it official!
I hope he doesn't decide to check out the draft....

Top Bottom