All Things D2 and D3 College Football 2023 Season Thread

MIAC football games - and other sports - have a new one-site streaming video setup for the upcoming school year.

from the conference website:

The Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC) announced on Tuesday the launch of the MIAC Sports Network powered by Hudl TV and BlueFrame Technology. The MIAC Sports Network will be the official streaming home of all MIAC events and championships.

The end-to-end digital streaming service is now available on the web (https://miacsportsnetwork.com/) along with streaming apps for television and mobile devices, including Android TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku (TV), iOS, Android (mobile), and Amazon Fire Tablet. The app can be found and installed free of charge by searching for the MIAC Sports Network.

“The MIAC is excited to begin this partnership with Hudl TV and BlueFrame Technology,” MIAC Associate Commissioner BJ Pickard said. “The MIAC Sports Network is going to provide fans with greater event access and video quality than ever before, making it easy to stream events and championships in one central location for all 13 member institutions across the conference.”

“We're thrilled that Hudl TV has been chosen to power the MIAC Sports Network,” said Ben Kant, Head of Streaming at Hudl. “Member schools will have the ability to monetize their livestreams and keep every fan connected to their teams through an easy-to-use, reliable platform. We're looking forward to creating a more engaging livestream experience for the MIAC and fans across the conference.”

Live games and events will begin streaming on the MIAC Sports Network this September.

I saw this on the D3 board and love the direction. I'm interested in small college sports and find myself streaming plenty of games. I prefer to use TV streaming devices like Roku, Firestick, and the Chromecast with remote, but it's hit and miss. A lot of schools don't air their games on TV friendly apps, and streaming on a laptop or phone just isn't a good product. I think having a top notch TV friendly streaming app can be a small revenue driver for some schools; or at least cheap marketing.

The MIAC had a dedicated app available on Roku and Firestick last year, but a lot of schools didn't participate. I believe the Johnnies offered their own streaming service and charged a $10 fee per game (which sucks) or season subscription. I suppose they can get away with charging a fee due to their popularity. Their game against Trinity in a couple weeks will probably draw well over 10,000 fans and there will probably be streaming demand from Texas.

I hope this new app is a big improvement over the old one. I become more and more interested in small college football the more money hungry FBS gets.

I think that's a pretty harsh assessment of the MIAC. If you look at last year's standings, St. John's and Bethel are clearly the top two teams in the league. Hamline and St. Scholastica are on the bottom. but the teams in the middle are very competitive with each other.

I watch a fair amount of D3 games. they are obviously not on the level of D1 or the top D2 teams, but they play solid football and would rout any HS team they face.

there is room for different levels of football. I choose to enjoy them for what they are. you are free to make your own choice.
I think you could probably call the UMAC glorified high school football though.

The Northern Sun may have found a replacement for Upper Iowa. The University of Jamestown has applied for NSIC membership.
The North Dakota school — a four-year private university — recently made a presentation to the NSIC, according to multiple sources.

“We are exploring the opportunity, and in order to fully explore the opportunity, we needed to submit an application," Hieb said. "We are still evaluating everything. We think we owe it to our students and to our student-athletes to explore possible options in the geographical footprint of the NSIC.”

The Jimmies are an NAIA program that competes in the Great Plains Athletic Conference. Hieb has familiarity with the NSIC, working in athletic administration at Northern State prior to the University of Jamestown.

The NSIC is an NCAA Division II league with 15 members spread over Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. UJ would fit into the league's geographic footprint with its proximity to schools like Minnesota State University Moorhead, the University of Mary, Minot State and Northern State.

Last year st Thomas beat up on two bad d2 teams non conference.

Depends on your definition of handle. But at Thomas certainly could beat the top 10 of d2. They also could certainly lose to them.

I would’ve picked St. John’s and bethel to beat 6 or 7 of the 14 teams in the NSIC last year.
Well ya, the NSIC never was a very good football conference. Before the merger with what was left of the NCC, it was Northern St, WSU then everyone else (CSP could steak up once in a while)...

The NSIC had even stricter rules on scholarships because the original member schools weren't all that big. Winona State and Northern State combined are still only about 1/2 the size of MSU Mankato.

I think you could probably call the UMAC glorified high school football though.
There are a lot of examples of guys who start as freshmen or sophomores in the UMAC who didn’t start for their high school teams.

let's check out the MIAC schedule for the opening weekend

Friday, September 1, 2023 Football
AwayHomeTimeLocation
University of Northwestern-St. Paul
U of Northwestern-St. Paul
Augsburg University
Augsburg
7:00pm
Minneapolis, MN
Saturday, September 2, 2023 Football
AwayHomeTimeLocation
Crown
Crown
Hamline University
Hamline
10:00am
St. Paul, MN
Trinity
Trinity
Saint John's University
Saint John's
12:00pm
Collegeville, MN
Central College
Central College
St. Olaf College
St. Olaf
1:00pm
Northfield, MN
Concordia College
Concordia
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
U of Wisc-Eau Claire
Eau Claire, WI
Buena Vista
Buena Vista
Gustavus Adolphus College
Gustavus
St. Peter, MN
University of Minnesota Morris
U of MN Morris
Macalester College
Macalester
6:00pm
St. Paul, MN

Per STrib:

Dhel Duncan-Busby caught two touchdown passes from Brandon Alt, Ali Mohamed ran for 109 yards and two more TDs on only seven carries and host Bemidji State opened the NSIC football season with a 49-13 victory over Northern State on Thursday.

Bemidji State intercepted Northern State four times, with Maalik Knox returning one 63 yards an Jarrett Klein returning another 40.

Alt completed 13 of 22 passes for 176 yards with three touchdowns and an interception.

Southwest Minnesota State 28, Minot State 23: Peter Osman caught a go-ahead, 26-yard touchdown pass from Marcus Martin with 3:07 remaining, Donald Austin rushed for 154 yards and the Mustangs rallied from 17 points down to beat the host Beavers. Austin iced the game with a 37-yard touchdown run with 2:09 to play, capping a run of 28 unanswered points for the Mustangs.

Concordia (St. Paul) 43, Upper Iowa 20: Conner Cordts completed 21 of 30 passes for 191 yards and a pair of touchdowns, Jaylin Richardson and Daniel Hornacek combined to run for 208 yards and three touchdowns and the Golden Bears opened the season by beating the Peacocks.

Wayne State (Neb.) 31, MSU Moorhead 23: Nick Bohn completed 21 of 29 passes for 264 yards and a touchdown and also ran for two scores as the host Wilcats beat the Dragons. MSU Moorhead's Jack Strand threw for 351 yards and three TDs.

MSU Mankato 54, Sioux Falls 26: Shen Butler-Lawson rushed for 221 yards in just nine carries and scored four touchdowns to lead the Mavericks over the host Cougars. Butler-Lawson scored on runs of 14, 34, 37, and 67 yards.

Minnesota Duluth 47, Northern Michigan 10: Kyle Walljasper threw three touchdown passes and rushed for 138 yards and two more TDs as the host Bulldogs routed the Wildcats in a nonconference game. UMD ran for 354 yards on 41 carries in all.

Go Gophers!!

Auggies start the season on a good note as Augsburg U defeats Northwestern-St. Paul 52-10 at Edor Nelson Field.

Auggies rack up 469 yards total offense.

Gustavus vs. Buena Vista game time was moved up to 10 am kick

Tommies football: Head coach Glenn Caruso, defensive coordinator Wallie Kuchinski are kindred spirits

Before long, Caruso whittled down his list to three candidates to be interviewed on campus, including a long shot named Wallie Kuchinski, a young defensive coordinator at Division II
Truman State, and a native of Blaine looking to come home.

While lacking experience, Kuchinski impressed Caruso with his eagerness to learn and an open-mindedness that set him apart during the interview process.

“That told me everything I needed to know,” Caruso said. “A guy who could say that, ‘If there is a better way, then who am I to not take advantage of that?’

“That’s when I started falling in love with him.”

Go Gophers!!

Johnnies 34
Trinity (TX) 31

Overtime. One of the wildest games I’ve ever seen. Incredible resiliency. Cannot quite wrap my head around the win. Trinity going home sad.

Great time in Collegeville.

MIAC results week #1:

Augsburg 52, U-Northwestern St. Paul 10
Hamline 45, Crown College 13
Gustavus 51, Buena Vista 7
St. John's 34, Trinity 31 (ot)
Central College IA 34, St. Olaf 24
UW-Eau Claire 31, Concordia 28
Macalester 44, UM-Morris 30

Next week:
Macalester at Martin Luther
Wartburg at Bethel
St. John's at UW-Whitewater
Pomona-Pitzer at Carleton
Pacific Lutheran at Concordia
St. Scholastica at Rockford U (IL)
St. Olaf at Luther College (IA)
Hamline at MN-Morris

St. John's at UW-Whitewater is going to be a helluva D3 game, but I think my Warhawks are going to lose. Potential battle of top 10 teams.

Here's the new D2Football.com poll
  1. Ferris State (1-0)
  2. Colorado School of Mines (1-0)
  3. Pittsburg State (1-0)
  4. Grand Valley State (0-1)
  5. Northwest Missouri State (1-0)
  6. Angelo State (1-0)
  7. Minnesota State-Mankato (1-0)
  8. West Florida (1-0)
  9. Delta State (1-0)
  10. Bemidji State (1-0)
  11. Ouachita Baptist (1-0)
  12. Indiana (PA) (1-0)
  13. Harding (1-0)
  14. Shepherd (1-0)
  15. Emporia State (1-0)
  16. Slippery Rock (1-0)
  17. Wingate (1-0)
  18. West Georgia (1-0)
  19. Ashland (0-1)
  20. Colorado State-Pueblo (1-0)
  21. Benedict (1-0)
  22. Indianapolis (1-0)
  23. Lenoir-Rhyne (1-0)
  24. Virginia Union (1-0)
  25. Davenport (1-0)

St. John's at UW-Whitewater is going to be a helluva D3 game, but I think my Warhawks are going to lose. Potential battle of top 10 teams.

Johnnies top 2 pass catchers got hurt Saturday. Will be tough sledding without them

In other news, former St Johns OL Ben Bartch is a projected starter for Jacksonville. Incredible story really.

Johnnies top 2 pass catchers got hurt Saturday. Will be tough sledding without them
That's crap. But I guess better to happen now and hopefully they're back for conference games. I dont think either team will fall far down the rankings with a loss, unless it's a surprising blow out. Wish I could be there

Here's the new D2Football.com poll
  1. Ferris State (1-0)
  2. Colorado School of Mines (1-0)
  3. Pittsburg State (1-0)
  4. Grand Valley State (0-1)
  5. Northwest Missouri State (1-0)
  6. Angelo State (1-0)
  7. Minnesota State-Mankato (1-0)
  8. West Florida (1-0)
  9. Delta State (1-0)
  10. Bemidji State (1-0)
  11. Ouachita Baptist (1-0)
  12. Indiana (PA) (1-0)
  13. Harding (1-0)
  14. Shepherd (1-0)
  15. Emporia State (1-0)
  16. Slippery Rock (1-0)
  17. Wingate (1-0)
  18. West Georgia (1-0)
  19. Ashland (0-1)
  20. Colorado State-Pueblo (1-0)
  21. Benedict (1-0)
  22. Indianapolis (1-0)
  23. Lenoir-Rhyne (1-0)
  24. Virginia Union (1-0)
  25. Davenport (1-0)
Not a single WisconSIN team on the list. If you're a fan of something like Whitewater or River Falls, you should be embarrassed that they're playing at D-III instead of D-II.

Not a single WisconSIN team on the list. If you're a fan of something like Whitewater or River Falls, you should be embarrassed that they're playing at D-III instead of D-II.
Yeah Wisconsin's college athletics is kind of an anomaly for the lack of more teams in the middle at DII.
  • 1 DI football team, 4 DI basketball teams, 1 DI hockey program
  • 0 DII football programs, one DII basketball program
  • 17 DIII football programs, 23 DIII basketball programs and 11 DIII hockey programs.
Minnesota's for comparison:
  • 2 DI football programs, 2 DI basketball programs, 6 DI hockey programs
  • 7 DII football programs, 9 DII basketball programs
  • 14 DIII football programs, 17 DIII basketball teams, 9 DIII hockey programs

Last edited:

I think you just don't have a full picture of D3, there are multiple high enrollment public university conferences in D3. The small private schools can still recruit their way into beating these large public universities, this isn't high school. Going D2 just doesn't make any sense, pay more for the same or less exposure. Clearly St. Cloud and Crookston would have been better off playing D3 as the D2 model just doesn't add up for many schools.

That's crap. But I guess better to happen now and hopefully they're back for conference games. I dont think either team will fall far down the rankings with a loss, unless it's a surprising blow out. Wish I could be there

Hopefully 1 or both are back. They came back with them out so who knows. St Johns opens with #4, #8 and #16. Brutal!

Would be a great one. Just a touch too far for me with the kids.

I think you just don't have a full picture of D3, there are multiple high enrollment public university conferences in D3. The small private schools can still recruit their way into beating these large public universities, this isn't high school. Going D2 just doesn't make any sense, pay more for the same or less exposure. Clearly St. Cloud and Crookston would have been better off playing D3 as the D2 model just doesn't add up for many schools.
Correct. There seems to be this odd notion that our neighbors to the east are trying to screw over some system by placing their smaller public universities in D3 instead of D2. It's just the cost-benefit model they've apparently chosen.

Louisiana's population is 4.6 million. Smaller than MN or WI. They have 12 D1 NCAA schools total.

There are still significant financial advantages for larger enrollment universities playing D3 should those schools commit to funding athletics; both institutionally and for the student.

For the WIAC in particular, it's biggest advantage IMO is that there are no D2 schools competing for athletes. All nationally relevant D3 teams have a fair number of athletes that could compete at a higher level and Wisconsin gets a better crack at those.

There are still significant financial advantages for larger enrollment universities playing D3 should those schools commit to funding athletics; both institutionally and for the student.

For the WIAC in particular, it's biggest advantage IMO is that there are no D2 schools competing for athletes. All nationally relevant D3 teams have a fair number of athletes that could compete at a higher level and Wisconsin gets a better crack at those.
The biggest advantage for the WIAC is that it's athletics get no less exposure than of it were DII and it doesn't have to fund scholarships. It's athletes pay to play.

Will be interesting to me if Duluth can get back into the national mix,
They made the playoffs just once in the past 4 years after 9 times in the 12 years preceding it.
Yes, I don't know what changed there except that during their championship days they recruited nearly exclusively from Wisconsin and Minnesota. Now they have many players from out West.

Yes, I don't know what changed there except that during their championship days they recruited nearly exclusively from Wisconsin and Minnesota. Now they have many players from out West.
A lot of is it is back to back quarterbacks that were the real deal. They’ve had good but not great QB play since that great run.

The first of the two quarterbacks I am talking about is actually their OC now

Last edited:

Top Bottom