All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

If I had any health concerns regarding obesity, diabetes, compromised immune system, lung capacity, heart disease, elevated blood pressure, ect. I would stay clear of any public venue, including TCF Bank Stadium.

I am not in this category.

Yes I am old.

I am over 50, have low body fat, and I push my heart pretty damn hard every day. I ride my carbon fiber road bike 30-40 miles 27/31 days a month, as fast as I can.. Until the club shut down I played pick up basketball 3 to 5 days a week at lunch.

Covid is not going to kill me, but half the people slightly less healthy as me are terrified by the propaganda put out by the Star Tribune and Walz The average citizen thinks COVID will kill them if they get it, and that is not at all true. This explains some of the recent polls.

This is not about me, but the people that are in the danger zone should have been protected, the rest of us, and the economy should have been spared. The data has been clear on this for at least 7 or 8 weeks, but Waltz has not changed course.

For anyone that thinks they are at risk, they need to self isolate. The Walz administration, aside from not protecting the bulk of the at risk in eldercare, has not made it clear to at risk people that they need to isolate. The message needs to be that you need to honestly evaluate your risk and quarantine if you are in the grey area. If your are worried, call your doctor, or just stay at home.

The great minds like Justin Gaard keep pontificating about how we all need to go into a shell to protect those we love from being infected by us "heathy". (or at least not showing symptoms). My answer to Gaard is to stay the hell away form all at risk people until this is over, and shut up.

If you are worried about someone stay the hell away from them and quite trying to destroy the economy and judge the rest of us. Self isolate, that is your choice!!

. I have not seen my elderly mother since late February and I am avoiding her until this gets better. Otherwise, game on.....

The whole mask thing is out of control too, and self righteous symbol for the SJW/ Snowflake community. Wear it as you see fit, but it is out of control.

I see a lot of old timers running on fumes at TCF every year, and I bet even with the current environment, at least half of them would rather see one more season no matter the consequences. That is their choice.

The 99.5 percent of us that will never die from COVID are not part of that discussion, and the old timers will be okay with our decisions as well. This is the nanny state on steroids.
While I agree with you on many points, there are some things to keep in mind. This has been an ever evolving situation, as doctors and scientists learn more we have been able to adjust. This is science and medicine, changing practice and views with new information. That practice is something politicians and the general public find hard to swallow. We shouldn't judge the actions of 8 weeks ago based on what we know now.

There have been many unknowns throughout this whole process. Yes we've known that younger, healthier people are at very low risk, but what we did know was the hospitalization rate of the susceptible was so high that it could easily over run the hospital systems, it was looking like with only 3% of the population being infected every ICU bed would be full. That means if someones 18 year old son gets in a car accident and needs ICU admission, he might be SOL. All the sudden the mortality rate on non-covid patients get out of control. That was a big fear. Did you know approximately half of the drop in the economy was due to healthcare spending? A large part of that is elective surgeries. So should we prioritize people being able to get a drink at the bar? Or should we make sure the hospitals don't get overwhelmed going forward? Something to consider.

We had (still don't really) no real treatments or standard of care that seemed to help these patients, this is what scares so many doctors (including my fiance), even though the overall # of patients has been low here in WI.

Now we know the mortality rate is less then what we thought and there have probably been more asymptomatic infections then we thought (but how many???). There's still many unknowns. While we continue to figure those things out, let's open things up, but let's be cautious. Wearing a mask looks like it helps slow the spread and that's all we're looking to do at this point, we keep it to a point where hospitals aren't overwhelmed and we should be looking like we're back to normal in a couple months. But that depends on not having overwhelming surges and that can only be accomplished if everybody does their part.

I carry my pistol almost everywhere I go, even if I "don't need it." So why not wear a mask? To show how tough you are? I don't mean to beat the mask thing like a dead horse but it's just silly to me that people don't want to make some minor sacrifices out of an abundance of caution so that we don't have to go back to where we were before. If we show we can be a responsible populace we don't need the "nanny state on steroids." Just my 2 cents.

While I agree with you on many points, there are some things to keep in mind. This has been an ever evolving situation, as doctors and scientists learn more we have been able to adjust. This is science and medicine, changing practice and views with new information. That practice is something politicians and the general public find hard to swallow. We shouldn't judge the actions of 8 weeks ago based on what we know now.

There have been many unknowns throughout this whole process. Yes we've known that younger, healthier people are at very low risk, but what we did know was the hospitalization rate of the susceptible was so high that it could easily over run the hospital systems, it was looking like with only 3% of the population being infected every ICU bed would be full. That means if someones 18 year old son gets in a car accident and needs ICU admission, he might be SOL. All the sudden the mortality rate on non-covid patients get out of control. That was a big fear. Did you know approximately half of the drop in the economy was due to healthcare spending? A large part of that is elective surgeries. So should we prioritize people being able to get a drink at the bar? Or should we make sure the hospitals don't get overwhelmed going forward? Something to consider.

We had (still don't really) no real treatments or standard of care that seemed to help these patients, this is what scares so many doctors (including my fiance), even though the overall # of patients has been low here in WI.

Now we know the mortality rate is less then what we thought and there have probably been more asymptomatic infections then we thought (but how many???). There's still many unknowns. While we continue to figure those things out, let's open things up, but let's be cautious. Wearing a mask looks like it helps slow the spread and that's all we're looking to do at this point, we keep it to a point where hospitals aren't overwhelmed and we should be looking like we're back to normal in a couple months. But that depends on not having overwhelming surges and that can only be accomplished if everybody does their part.

I carry my pistol almost everywhere I go, even if I "don't need it." So why not wear a mask? To show how tough you are? I don't mean to beat the mask thing like a dead horse but it's just silly to me that people don't want to make some minor sacrifices out of an abundance of caution so that we don't have to go back to where we were before. If we show we can be a responsible populace we don't need the "nanny state on steroids." Just my 2 cents.
Very well said. There's no reason we all can't make some kind of sacrifice for the betterment of everyone. The economy is important, getting sports back is important, keeping people safe is important. We can achieve all those things.

What's different about all of this is the science is playing out right in front of us. Most times when studies are done, the general public knows nothing about it until it's gone under peer review. Now we're hearing about all of this almost immediately. Information is going to evolve as time goes by. It's impossible to get it all right when it involves something so new.

Very well said. There's no reason we all can't make some kind of sacrifice for the betterment of everyone. The economy is important, getting sports back is important, keeping people safe is important. We can achieve all those things.

What's different about all of this is the science is playing out right in front of us. Most times when studies are done, the general public knows nothing about it until it's gone under peer review. Now we're hearing about all of this almost immediately. Information is going to evolve as time goes by. It's impossible to get it all right when it involves something so new.
One more thing to think about that could potentially affect all of us is the long term affects on the body. There's increasing evidence that even mild cases that don't require hospitalization can cause long term effects/permanent damage. While I'm young and healthy and probably wouldn't need a hospital/die I'd rather not get the virus until any long term affects are understood....idk about some of you, but I'll take watching the gophers from home over potential lung damage that I have to live with for the rest of my life

One more thing to think about that could potentially affect all of us is the long term affects on the body. There's increasing evidence that even mild cases that don't require hospitalization can cause long term effects/permanent damage. While I'm young and healthy and probably wouldn't need a hospital/die I'd rather not get the virus until any long term affects are understood....idk about some of you, but I'll take watching the gophers from home over potential lung damage that I have to live with for the rest of my life
You probably already caught it in March and didn't even notice. :rolleyes:

At least five Alabama players tested positive for CoVid-19

So do players and coach(es) in other P5 schools - Okie State and Marshall.

Is the Big Ten on a wait and see?
They might be waiting a bit to figure out a good setup, especially for player led workouts now. They want any spread to be completely controlled so they're probably watching this closely to see if the measures taken were enough to contain that small outbreak or not.

Officially cancel the entire season. Somebody got the Coronavirus. Did I do that right, or should we cancel two weeks at a time?

Tough road ahead for schools presidents and ADs to decide.

I wish the article would specify whether any of the players actually had any effects from the virus, or if the only indicator was just a positive test.

I wish the article would specify whether any of the players actually had any effects from the virus, or if the only indicator was just a positive test.

It won't matter. They can infect staff, other players, and people with preexisting health condition.

It won't matter. They can infect staff, other players, and people with preexisting health condition.

Why not look at the actual results? Covid-19 will pick off the elderly and fragile, but shutting down the economy has produced mayhem, riots, depression, bankruptcies, suicides, domestic violence, child abuse.

Just this week a mom in New Jersey shot her special needs child and then killed herself because of the stress of no daycare for 10 weeks.

This pandemic is similar to the Hong Kong flu of 1968. Yeah it's bad, but we know who is vulnerable and how they can be protected.

It's just like Patrick Henry said: "Give me safety or give me death!" THIS IS AMERICA and it's more important that no one catches a seasonal chest cold that is less deadly than the flu, than that football is ever played again.
We nominate you as the next in line to help build herd immunity.

We nominate you as the next in line to help build herd immunity.
Someone has to do the dirty work of catching a seasonal chest cold. As a proud non-mask-wearing non-social-distancer who, like some kind of psychopathic neanderthal, has not been afraid of this media-concocted scam since day one, I have done all I can, and am now ready to pass the torch on to the next brave soul who is willing to sacrifice four days of the sniffles for the ability to return to normal life.

Someone has to do the dirty work of catching a seasonal chest cold. As a proud non-mask-wearing non-social-distancer who, like some kind of psychopathic neanderthal, has not been afraid of this media-concocted scam since day one, I have done all I can, and am now ready to pass the torch on to the next brave soul who is willing to sacrifice four days of the sniffles for the ability to return to normal life.
Yup- please go hang with your aging parents and grandparents.

Why not look at the actual results? Covid-19 will pick off the elderly and fragile, but shutting down the economy has produced mayhem, riots, depression, bankruptcies, suicides, domestic violence, child abuse.

Just this week a mom in New Jersey shot her special needs child and then killed herself because of the stress of no daycare for 10 weeks.

This pandemic is similar to the Hong Kong flu of 1968. Yeah it's bad, but we know who is vulnerable and how they can be protected.
Then why aren’t they being protected- and why isn’t going for herd immunity working in Sweden?

There is a point in time that universities and governments are going to make very tough decisions. The economy cannot continue like this with millions of people unemployed. Gopher Football impacts the U in more ways than we imagine.

We desperately need college sports to be back especially football. Football is my drug. But, it is a matter of people having to make difficult decisions.

Maybe, we have a new normal at least for awhile. Somewhere some health expert say that if 80% of the population wear masks diligently, CoVid-19 will flatten out rapidly.

You won't catch in my favorite buffet restaurants any time soon.

Look at Bateman’s IG over the past several weeks. Do you see any social distancing? These kids aren’t taking it seriously, so I suspect there will continue to be a few cases here and there, and therefore, no college football. Since there’s no guarantee of a vaccine within the next year, perhaps they’ll shut down 2021 too. By that time, countless athletic departments will have gone bankrupt.

Well there’s no excuse for stupid and selfish. Maybe you should come to the hospital I work at and watch people struggling to stay alive in the ICU (and they aren’t all people over 65) and health care workers get sick even after gowing up, wearing masks and face shields. Some have actually died. It’s more than a seasonal chest cold for many people. But it’s a scam and hoax. I would say that YOU ARE the psychopathic neanderthal, but you’re a trump supporter so that explains it.

Last edited:

If 5 Alabama players have been confirmed to have the virus, what does 5x35 or 5x50, or even 5x10 equal? Good thing they all have 100% chance of survival. Before I get attacked, I know they should stay clear of the elderly or vulnerable. EVERYBODY knows that.

Then why aren’t they being protected- and why isn’t going for herd immunity working in Sweden?

Hey, Oregon Gopher, Sweden hasn't destroyed their economy, and the actual mortality numbers are mild by historical standards....
1591329490626.png

Statewide Stats are available for anyone to look at. They will NOT be reported on the news, blogs, podcasts or anything you would consider mainstream news.

Hey, Oregon Gopher, Sweden hasn't destroyed their economy, and the actual mortality numbers are mild by historical

Sweden’s economy is absolutely suffering, where are you pulling this crap from?

From the article:
Andersson said her country is now seeing “a very deep economic crisis.” She also said the “deep downturn in the economy is happening faster than we expected.”

Marten Bjellerup, chief economist at the debt office in Stockholm, says he thinks Sweden will fare “somewhat better” than others, but acknowledged “the difference is marginal.”

Top Bottom