All things Colton Iverson Thread

So you're saying the NBA and NCAA is fixed?

Of course it is fixed....to some extent. The NBA gives stars the benefit of the doubt on calls all during the regular season. Fans pay to see them play not foul out. The NBA has a system of make-up calls throughout the season. Ooops we blew that one so expect a phantom foul soon after.

I love the NBA, but I know enough to know it is indeed fixed in some ways. Minnesota fans weren't the one's who came-up with this theory by the way-it has been known for many years now...long before the Wolves came to town.

Check the source of the article.

You think the Gopher's main enemy is Wisconsin?? Wrong!
Iowa?!? WRONG!

It's Jeff Goodman.

Well knowing how he feels about Trevor, yeah, not surprising he lists him low in the draft board. Colt also have size in his favor, can't teach that.

Similarities

Well knowing how he feels about Trevor, yeah, not surprising he lists him low in the draft board. Colt also have size in his favor, can't teach that.

Steisma is a decent backup center for the wolves. I don't see anything Steisma has that Colt, used correctly, does not. I hope colt the best.

I guarantee if Colt had stayed at MN that he would not be scoring as many points for us this year.

I guarantee if Colt had stayed at MN that he would not be scoring as many points for us this year.

I would argue with absolute certainty that had Colton stayed at Minnesota he would have scored zero points for the Gophers this season.

I would argue with absolute certainty that had Colton stayed at Minnesota he would have scored zero points for the Gophers this season.

Oh, yeah?!? Well I can one-up you.

If Colt stayed with the Gophers, I guarantee that he would not have seen one minute of floor time this year.

Oh, yeah?!? Well I can one-up you.

If Colt stayed with the Gophers, I guarantee that he would not have seen one minute of floor time this year.

Not if he would have red-shirted to let Ralph get out of the way and work on his footwork for his 4th year of eligibility.

Not sure if you can redshirt after any year, if you can I'm sure it's rare, but it would have been a good idea for him had he wished to finish his career a gopher.

Not if he would have red-shirted to let Ralph get out of the way and work on his footwork for his 4th year of eligibility.

Not sure if you can redshirt after any year, if you can I'm sure it's rare, but it would have been a good idea for him had he wished to finish his career a gopher.

You can redshirt any year, Andre Dawkins of Duke is redshirting this year. That being said, I am quite sure it never would have happened with Colt.

You can redshirt any year, Andre Dawkins of Duke is redshirting this year. That being said, I am quite sure it never would have happened with Colt.

Not a bid idea for big men though, seems his coordination and touch around the rim improved by taking a year off. Anyone else watched any of his games?

Not a bid idea for big men though, seems his coordination and touch around the rim improved by taking a year off. Anyone else watched any of his games?

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been beneficial, I'm just saying that I sincerely doubt he would have taken a year off without being forced to.

Shot-blocking ability disparity. I'd guess they would have similar foul rates though.

Steisma is a decent backup center for the wolves. I don't see anything Steisma has that Colt, used correctly, does not. I hope colt the best.

Big man Jeff Hagen for the Gophers, played his freshman year then redshirted, if I remember correctly. Also the big guy for Gonzaga, Kelly Olynyk, played his first two years then redshirted last year. Playing again this season. Couple examples of big guys taking a different route.

Big man Jeff Hagen for the Gophers, played his freshman year then redshirted, if I remember correctly. Also the big guy for Gonzaga, Kelly Olynyk, played his first two years then redshirted last year. Playing again this season. Couple examples of big guys taking a different route.

Thanks. I didn't recall big baby faced Hagen doing that. I was hoping Colt would have done that so we didn't waste him paired with Ralph. Oh well, he is doing great. Good for him. Goodman has him ranked late-late second round draft pick. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21375653/nba-mock-draft-december-update-changes-aplenty

Steisma

Shot-blocking ability disparity. I'd guess they would have similar foul rates though.

Steisma averaged 3 pts, 2 reb, and 1 block per game at wisconsin in 10 minutes per game for his carreer. So ya i guess per 40 minutes his block average is good. Crazy to think someone with these kind of numbers can play in the nba. He improved quite a bit overseas.

Definitely. I can't get over those numbers. I knew they weren't good in college but those are about as underwhelming as you can get.

Steisma averaged 3 pts, 2 reb, and 1 block per game at wisconsin in 10 minutes per game for his carreer. So ya i guess per 40 minutes his block average is good. Crazy to think someone with these kind of numbers can play in the nba. He improved quite a bit overseas.

I think it also shows how desperate the NBA is for decent size. If you are a near 7 footer and will play hard and physical you can be a bench player and a millionaire. Crazy.

I just got back from a trip to Colorado, which included a trip to see Colton play in Fort Collins, and thought I'd give my two cents.

We were visiting a couple friends who went to high school with Colton in Yankton, so we ended up scoring courtside seats from Colt 45 to watch CSU take on the hated Adams State Grizzlies (Division 2 Liberal Arts school in Alamosa, Colorado). I'll start off by saying that Adams State may be the absolute worst team I have seen play live. They shot 37% from the free throw line (which I guess looks significantly better after MSU's showing last night). At one point that had made something like 2 of 12 attempts. Their field goal percentage was even worse (29%)--which included a ton of wide open looks that missed horribly. They had very little size, with their only real serviceable center looking to be about 6'9" and pretty uncoordinated.

It was not a pretty game. There were more missed dunks than a game between Andre Ingram Technical College vs. Southwest Andre Ingram State (please note: I love Ingram). There were also 3 air-balled free throws. Talk about ugly.

Colton was never, and will continue to not be, a scorer. Unfortunately for CSU, that's exactly what they're asking him to be. They have one guard who seems to be a pretty fine player (Dorian Green out of Lawrence, Kansas) but the rest of the team is filled with unathletic, uncoordinated role-players. As a result, Colt sees the ball a lot. Most of his points came from him being able to back down the undisciplined, undersized D2 players and get an easy lay-in. He finished with something like 17 points and about a half dozen rebounds. He is absolutely the only player on the team that can rebound. Additionally, he still seems to have a great knack for drawing phantom fouls (though he only had one foul in the game).

One of the highlights of the experience for me was watching Larry Eustachy up close, and seeing his interaction with the players. After he was fired at Iowa State for drinking-related issues, he picked up a serious Diet Coke habit. He had a mini cooler sitting next to him the entire game, and must have gone through at least 6 cans in a few hours. I'm glad he was able to kick his booze problem, but the guy must be pissing out a kidney stone per day. Talking to Colt, it seems like all the players really enjoy playing for him.

It was definitely a fun experience. CSU's arena is interesting, though the fan turnout was pretty pitiful. Though I guess that can be expected when they play a D2 team when all the students are off-campus for Winter break. I can't say I can see CSU doing much in the MWC, though Colt is claiming they'll get an NCAA bid. I'll believe it when I see it.

There were more missed dunks than a game between Andre Ingram Technical College vs. Southwest Andre Ingram State

I literally spit out my drink. This is too funny. (I love Andre too).

Thanks for the update. Believe it or not, Adams St. was undefeated coming into that game. Maybe just had a bad game?

Will be interesting to see what Iverson does in conference play against better competition.

What two distinct positions are you talking about. They both are too slow to guard anything but centers. Tubby played them both out of necessity, love of the high low, or stubborness to play young guys and let them make mistakes. I agree seniority means everything in the NBA as does star power. Not so much in college. Colt got screwed because he usually got bumped/pushed first then he pushed back and got called for it. Then he got known as a phyical player for the elbows and the refs made every close call against him. I wish Colt the best, i still say RSIII was promised to start when healthy, because he did even when he had the worst games I've ever seen. Colt with 19 pts, 14 reb, 1 turnover last night as CSU lost at colorado. I'm guessing they don't play him on the high post there. 2 teams who should make the tourney by the way. He is averaging 17p, 11.6 reb, 1.7 ass, 2.4 to, shooting 61% from field and 73% from the free throw line. When he left 2 years ago I told everyone he could dominate in a weaker conference if he was used correctly.

What I meant was that Tubby recruited Colt (& Royce) to do the heavy lifting underneath. Ralph was supposed to float around, draw one of their bigs away from the basket & hit 12-15' jumpers. Different roles. They were recruited the same year to play together, not to compete with each other for minutes. So why didn't Colt play more? I wouldn't doubt that Tubby promised a starting spot? Or that Colt's attitude was so bad that Tubby had to sit him? Only Tubby & Colt know for sure.

* btw- That's March Madness' post quoted, not mine.

What I meant was that Tubby recruited Colt (& Royce) to do the heavy lifting underneath. Ralph was supposed to float around, draw one of their bigs away from the basket & hit 12-15' jumpers. Different roles. They were recruited the same year to play together, not to compete with each other for minutes. So why didn't Colt play more? I wouldn't doubt that Tubby promised a starting spot? Or that Colt's attitude was so bad that Tubby had to sit him? Only Tubby & Colt know for sure.

* btw- That's March Madness' post quoted, not mine.

Colt played a lot early in his career. The twin towers is a relic of the past. The trend of the last 5 to 10 years is a versatile face up 4 man, even in the physical big ten. With both colt and Ralph to slow to guard this type of 4 man, I would never play them together. Tubby liked it, but we are now seeing what an undersized and athletic 4 can mean to a team on both ends. So my Ire isnt that they should have played together it was show should have earned time at the 5. And if Colt had a bad attitude, was it caused by not getting rewarded with the start. Anyways colt is having a great year being used as a 5, who gets the ball on the block. This is all the evidence i need.

I don't really disagree with much of what you said, I think Cobbs would be getting major PG minutes this year, but UCLA is not even close to a top 10 team.

UCLA will probably be ranked this week after beating a great Missouri team, and two good teams in CAl and Stanford. We will see how they are on the road. They aren't a top 10 team yet but it is a possibility.

Colton was never, and will continue to not be, a scorer. Unfortunately for CSU, that's exactly what they're asking him to be. They have one guard who seems to be a pretty fine player (Dorian Green out of Lawrence, Kansas) but the rest of the team is filled with unathletic, uncoordinated role-players. As a result, Colt sees the ball a lot. Most of his points came from him being able to back down the undisciplined, undersized D2 players and get an easy lay-in. He finished with something like 17 points and about a half dozen rebounds. He is absolutely the only player on the team that can rebound.
I can't say I can see CSU doing much in the MWC, though Colt is claiming they'll get an NCAA bid. I'll believe it when I see it.

CSU made the tourney last year and only lost 2 role players and added Colt. I can see he is not a scorer also, as he is only averaging 14.7 pts per game on 65% shooting.

Easy to say now I realize, but Colt was better suited to both the Big Ten and Tubby's style (toughness) than Ralph Malph. He (Colt) was/is a competitor and wil make money somewhere at this sport.

Good for him, I like that he is still # 45. Colt45 is a great basketball nickname, almost as good as AK47.

Good for him, I like that he is still # 45. Colt45 is a great basketball nickname, almost as good as AK47.

I love it too.
Myron posted this on ESPN:
THE RUNDOWN

The Mountain West's most critical players:

3. Colton Iverson (Colorado State): The Rams are second in offensive rebounding rate because Iverson (14.4 PPG, 9.0 RPG), who sat last season after transferring from Minnesota, is such a force inside for Eustachy's program.

Top Bottom