All Things Class of 2025 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I suspected that Bfan became SHGopher--very similar styles, a lot of linked or copied articles. SH is still very active on the women site.
He did try to sneak in a number of references to the women's team... Very suspicious 🤨

By any chance is that Malik Sealy’s son?
No. He had one son, Malik Remington Sealy, who graduated from Rhode Island School of Design (RISD for "Wedding Crashers" fans) a number of years ago. Malik died in 2000. I have a ball with his signature, and all the other member of that team including Flip and McHale.

No. He had one son, Malik Remington Sealy, who graduated from Rhode Island School of Design (RISD for "Wedding Crashers" fans) a number of years ago. Malik died in 2000. I have a ball with his signature, and all the other member of that team including Flip and McHale.
Thanks, I can't believe that's already been over 20 years ago.

Gophers basketball coach Ben Johnson and former Minnesota coach Richard Pitino both offer 7-2 center Daniel Jacobsen​

Ben Johnson has his eyes on 7-2 center Daniel Jacobsen who is planning a visit this fall after picking up an offer from the Gophers basketball team this week.

"I have talked to them quite a bit the last couple weeks," said Jacobsen, who was one of the top center prospects recently at the Nike Peach Jam in South Carolina.

There's also a familiar name to Gophers fans recruiting the Class of 2025 big man: Richard Pitino.

Jacobsen, who transferred to Brewster Academy in New Hampshire in June, played at La Cueva High in Albuquerque, N.M. in 2021-22 and Legacy Early prep school in South Carolina last season. Pitino took over the New Mexico job after being fired in Minnesota in 2021.

"I'm actually from Chicago and have only lived in [New Mexico] for two years," Jacobsen said, "but I still like the Lobos and appreciate them recruiting me."

You don't often see mid-major programs recruiting against the Big Ten, let alone a head coach recruiting against his former school at that level. But the New Mexico ties made offering Jacobsen an easy choice for Pitino.

The Gophers liked what they saw in Jacobsen as well, playing for his AAU program JL3 from Texas during the July recruiting period. Johnson and U assistant Marcus Jenkins offered him on Monday. He also received offers from New Mexico, Illinois, and Xavier last week.

"We talked about how they play, and how I would fit into the system – also about setting up a visit," Jacobsen said about the Gophers.

Jacobsen is a shot-blocking presence, but he's also comfortable on the perimeter and has three-point range. He watches Utah Jazz forward Lauri Markkanen in the NBA and UConn's Donovan Clingan and Duke's Kyle Filipowski in college.

"[The Gophers] like to play through their bigs," Jacobsen said. "Since I'm able to stretch the floor and shoot, I wouldn't be stuck on the block."

Go Gophers!!

I guess we wouldn’t have offered if he wasn’t a good fit. With our roster long and athletic to fit. Run and play defense. I will take 6’9” Payne over almost every 7 footer.

I know it happens, but still........when I see that a player is going to be playing for his 3rd different HS or Prep program in 3 years, it makes me shake my head.

did see a little video on the big kid. he seems to move pretty well for his size.

I would think with the transfer portal being what it is, most coaches would keep the door open for players they really wanted who chose another option. Especially if there wasn't some type of personal animosity or disrespect shown the coaching staff or program during the recruitment period. I don't think most coaches consider a recruit picking another program as a personal affront or disrespectful.

I think most coaches tend to take things like choosing a different program over mine a lot less personally than we fans take it. At least most of the coaches I've been around.

that surprises me, can you say how you know? It is always good though to maintain a positive relationship.
Source:

"Evans is doing some work out there. Must have quite a network in California." - bga1 Post #107

I have to question the value of recruiting high end out of state talent with NIL and the portal in play. Our time and limited recruiting money might best be spent on out state kids who have the right potential. That worked one year in a row with Asuma and Grove . Well so far it is working for 2024. Either that or find adequate NIL and use it as intended. Using as intended will boost interest in the program.

I have to question the value of recruiting high end out of state talent with NIL and the portal in play. Our time and limited recruiting money might best be spent on out state kids who have the right potential. That worked one year in a row with Asuma and Grove . Well so far it is working for 2024. Either that or find adequate NIL and use it as intended. Using as intended will boost interest in the program.
We got Christie & Betts without NIL…I do think they are wasting their time recruiting a kid from Lebrons AAU team but I do think we still have to put offers to kids out of state. The MN 2025 class is that strong. Outside of

-Jalen Wilson who is basically an undersized post
-Chase Thompson who is a solid pick n pop 4 man but not a big ten player
-Jaleel Donley who I am excited to see develop & think he has the most upside

The Gophers continue to be in on top 100 ballers. Another outstanding class will come in unless we have a new coach. Then it will be heavy portal.

We got Christie & Betts without NIL…I do think they are wasting their time recruiting a kid from Lebrons AAU team but I do think we still have to put offers to kids out of state. The MN 2025 class is that strong. Outside of

Agreed, Donley has the kind of quickness and ball skills that will translate to the next level if he continues to develop. He's a fun kid to watch. Wilson is a good ball player and very well-rounded, but it may be tough for him to match up physically. I haven't seen Wooley from Orono play enough to have an opinion, but it's pretty slim pickings for that class.

Top Bottom