All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Some school will get ready lucky with the late additon of either 6'6 Sr. Malk Ellison and/or 6'1 Sr. Traci Carter of Life Center
<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HHClassic?src=hash">#HHClassic</a></p>— Rick Lewis (@Coach_Rick57) <a href="https://twitter.com/Coach_Rick57/status/556881749041774592">January 18, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Great first half by 6'6 Sr. Malik Ellison of Life Center
19 points
8-13 FGM-A
3-6 3PM-A
2 Rebounds
3 Steals
<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HHClassic?src=hash">#HHClassic</a></p>— Rick Lewis (@Coach_Rick57) <a href="https://twitter.com/Coach_Rick57/status/556875823568134144">January 18, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is Ellison a late bloomer or something? Rivals doesn't even have him rated. Now he has offers from us, Maryland, and others. 247 sports has him rated pretty high.

Is Ellison a late bloomer or something? Rivals doesn't even have him rated. Now he has offers from us, Maryland, and others. 247 sports has him rated pretty high.

I think there was a partially missed season due to an injury (?) that set him under the radar for a while.

After our unexpected, untimely departures, it would be nice to have some nice surprises in spring recruiting. A big man (JUCO, transfer. or frosh) recruit that would make an immediate impact is on top of that list

Late bloomer/growth spurt followed by broken leg last spring. Timing hurt.

Sis is a FR at Maryland (6'3" bball player); oldest sis is Track & Field So. at Howard.

Ellison - gets buckets, but can the shot improve? Some may still view as a tweener relative to MM/HM. What is the true status of the other HM offers - Maryland and I4? The answer there would be a good indication of Minnesota's chances.

MN minutes... lots of young guards (1/2 guys especially)... Mason, Dorsey, Jarvis... then a McBrayer with nose for scoring who could be a 2/3.. and with Morris a 3 next year + Hurt in '16... the minutes won't come without effort...

...but would think the Gophers have a good shot here. And the upside is enough that you'd be happy with the add.

The 6-6, 192-pound shooting guard, who is the son of former Louisville star Pervis Ellison, listed Minnesota, Temple, Maryland, Indiana, Georgetown and Creighton. All have offered except for Georgetown and Indiana.

Minnesota, who was the first school he named, recently hosted Ellison on an official visit. He said the visit went great, but he is still planning to take more visits. Whom and when he will visit hasn't been determined yet.

The Gophers have a slight edge over Maryland in his Crystal Ball.

Late bloomer/growth spurt followed by broken leg last spring. Timing hurt.

Sis is a FR at Maryland (6'3" bball player); oldest sis is Track & Field So. at Howard.

Ellison - gets buckets, but can the shot improve? Some may still view as a tweener relative to MM/HM. What is the true status of the other HM offers - Maryland and I4? The answer there would be a good indication of Minnesota's chances.

MN minutes... lots of young guards (1/2 guys especially)... Mason, Dorsey, Jarvis... then a McBrayer with nose for scoring who could be a 2/3.. and with Morris a 3 next year + Hurt in '16... the minutes won't come without effort...

...but would think the Gophers have a good shot here. And the upside is enough that you'd be happy with the add.

Was thinking the same that we've got some players already signed up for the 3. But I don't want to turn down any 6'6" players that can score five. Our current size deficits

With many of the top scorers in the Class of 2015 already committed, many of the nation’s top programs will be on him shortly.

When asked what schools are on him the hardest he listed Minnesota, Indiana, Creighton, Georgetown, Temple and Maryland. All of those schools have offered except for Georgetown.

He has taken one official visit to Minnesota, which seemed to leave a lasting impression on him.

“It was nice,” Ellison said. “They’re in need of a scorer.”

Coach Richard Pitino told him that “He would play major minutes as a freshman,” which he mentioned as one of the most important factors in making his decision.

After the season Ellison mentioned that he would like to take the rest of his officials, and plans on deciding during the April signing period.

Ellison broke down a few of the schools on his list:

Minnesota: “They’re big time, they’re in the Big Ten Conference. They play the best competition in the country, and with the coaches and everything else it’s a very good fit.”

Georgetown: “I haven’t talked to them as much, I’ve only talked to them a little bit. They’ve been a great squad since back in the day so obviously it would be a good fit.”

Indiana: “They’re kind of my play style. They have a lot of shooters, and tall guards.”

Maryland: “This year they have proved a lot. They’re ranked in the country now, so that would be a great fit.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/malik-...essive-victory-at-hoophall-discusses-schools/

With many of the top scorers in the Class of 2015 already committed, many of the nation’s top programs will be on him shortly.

When asked what schools are on him the hardest he listed Minnesota, Indiana, Creighton, Georgetown, Temple and Maryland. All of those schools have offered except for Georgetown.

He has taken one official visit to Minnesota, which seemed to leave a lasting impression on him.

“It was nice,” Ellison said. “They’re in need of a scorer.”

Coach Richard Pitino told him that “He would play major minutes as a freshman,” which he mentioned as one of the most important factors in making his decision.

After the season Ellison mentioned that he would like to take the rest of his officials, and plans on deciding during the April signing period.

Ellison broke down a few of the schools on his list:

Minnesota: “They’re big time, they’re in the Big Ten Conference. They play the best competition in the country, and with the coaches and everything else it’s a very good fit.”

Georgetown: “I haven’t talked to them as much, I’ve only talked to them a little bit. They’ve been a great squad since back in the day so obviously it would be a good fit.”

Indiana: “They’re kind of my play style. They have a lot of shooters, and tall guards.”

Maryland: “This year they have proved a lot. They’re ranked in the country now, so that would be a great fit.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/malik-...essive-victory-at-hoophall-discusses-schools/

I nit-picked and noticed how he categorized the schools:

Maryland: "Great fit"
Minnesota: "Very good fit"
Georgetown: "Good fit"
Indiana: no mention

I hope there's no correlation in his word choices to which school he's leaning towards.

I nit-picked and noticed how he categorized the schools:

Maryland: "Great fit"
Minnesota: "Very good fit"
Georgetown: "Good fit"
Indiana: no mention

I hope there's no correlation in his word choices to which school he's leaning towards.

Feels like us or Maryland to me. Interesting to note is that Maryland has also offered Kipper Nichols (6-6 SF) who is also a Gopher target. This might get settled by playing time. Md. has Nickem -frosh 6-6 right now getting 20 minutes.

Feels like us or Maryland to me. Interesting to note is that Maryland has also offered Kipper Nichols (6-6 SF) who is also a Gopher target. This might get settled by playing time. Md. has Nickem -frosh 6-6 right now getting 20 minutes.

I feel like everyone we've recruited in the last year has had a Maryland offer.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

That'd be nice. But would we really take another PG. I was hoping Carter was a big man.

Possible package deal for Malik Ellison/Traci Carter? Doesn't sound like Okafor/Jones, but interesting article.

For what it is worth, the writer changed his 247 vote to Minnesota for Ellison just yesterday.

http://www.givengobasketball.com/ellison-and-carter-article

I don't know anything about Carter but it doesn't look like we're recruiting him, and I'd be surprised if we're looking to add another PG at this point. I was really hoping to get a quick commitment from Ellison but it sounds like he's going to wait until spring, take all his officials etc. We'll have to fight for him.

I don't know anything about Carter but it doesn't look like we're recruiting him, and I'd be surprised if we're looking to add another PG at this point. I was really hoping to get a quick commitment from Ellison but it sounds like he's going to wait until spring, take all his officials etc. We'll have to fight for him.

I agree. Interesting to note....Seton Hall is one of the schools listed for Traci Carter and just offered Malik yesterday.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6'3 guard from St. Paul. Anyone know anything about him?

(posted on 247)

From Missouri State Athletics Communications:

A solid guard who can shoot, distribute and defend, Marshall is part of a solid foundation for the MSU future ... He earned two starts on the squad's four-game summer tour of Costa Rica and finished second on the club in scoring (42) and assists (20) ... He made 48.5 percent of his shots on the foreign tour with five 3-pointers, 19 rebounds and 11 steals.

High School: Averaged a team-high 22.4 as a senior in 2011-12 at Johnson High in St. Paul, Minn., leading the Governors to the second round of the state playoffs ... Helped Vern Simmons' squad to a 19-7 overall record for the season and a sectional title ... Club was 12-0 in the St. Paul City Conference ... Senior season was highlighted with several memorable efforts, including: 33 points in win over Lakeville South (12/13/11), 24 points in the Best Buy Holiday Classic finals (12/31/11) to earn all-tournament honors, 25 points in win over St. Paul Central (1/27/12), 32 points vs. St. Paul Highland Park (2/9/12), 37 points in win over St. Paul Como Park (2/23/12), and 30 points in regular-season finale against Minneapolis Washburn ... Averaged 30.3 points over his last four games, including 36 in win over St. Thomas Academy in sectional final (3/16/12) ... Shot 51 percent from the field in the state tournament ... As a junior, Marshall averaged 16.0 points per game and helped his team to a 25-4 ledger in 2010-11 ... Was a three-star recruit, according to Rivals.com, and noted by ESPN as the No. 3 recruit in the state of Minnesota ... Signed a National Letter of Intent to attend Missouri State on Nov. 9, 2011 ... Primary MSU recruiter was assistant coach Pat Baldwin

Anyone know if we are still after KJ Walton or did we cool on him?

Matt Jessen Howard interviewed him and Kj said he was really close with coach Mchale. Grades are and issue right now. Teams are waiting to see if he will qualify out of high school.

Jarvis is dealing with a knee issue at the moment. The box score doesn't show minutes played, but I'm willing to bet he played very sparingly tonight.
Not sure how many minutes he ended up playing but I saw on Twitter before the game that he wasn't going to start and they weren't even sure if he would play at all although it looks like he did indeed end up playing some.

Top Bottom