All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

If we could get Walton and some sort of Senior transfer Center, I actually think we could compete for a NCAA Tourney berth next year. Especially if Morris can improve on his shot selection and turnovers.

Too bad Gophers never dared to look next door at Diamond Stone (6'10" C, 5*) from Milwaukee. I hope there comes a time when Richard can pillage WI the way we've been pillaged.

Too bad Gophers never dared to look next door at Diamond Stone (6'10" C, 5*) from Milwaukee. I hope there comes a time when Richard can pillage WI the way we've been pillaged.

Why waste your time with a guy that you have a miniscule shot at landing? On a different note, we would have had a great shot at Henry if Wally would have worked out here, but I'm ok with the fact that it didn't.

Why waste your time with a guy that you have a miniscule shot at landing? On a different note, we would have had a great shot at Henry if Wally would have worked out here, but I'm ok with the fact that it didn't.

It's going to be tough to land elite bigs anyway because of Pitino's system. More shot blockers that are raw offensively. More Konates.

Don't know about Pitino, but Tubby was in on him early, over 2 and a half years ago when he was a freshman in high school. Gopherhole interview from February, 2012: http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/133593?referrer_id=331171

Wisconsin, or at least Bo Ryan, has not stolen a recruit of Diamond Stone's caliber out of Minnesota. They got Leuer and Illikainen after we ran out of scholarships, Jordan Taylor, and I think Jared Berggren, committed a little before Tubby got here, after we had just had one of our worst seasons ever, and I believe Brusewitz and Riley Dearing were both guys we didn't offer.

We went after Sandy Cohen too, who committed to Marquette.

It's fabulous we're making progress in state and Coffey and Trent will be excellent barometers of Richard's progress in this recruiting market. East coast clearly improving. I'd like to see us make a concerted effort to go after the Toronto Metro (Chicago sized) as well. Tubby should be given credit for recognizing the depth in that recruiting pool that gave us Joseph (briefly) and Mo Walker. Add Wiggins, Stouskas, it's a great under appreciated pool.

Are we recruiting Marshawn Wilson from Hill Murray?

Sure doesn't look that way. He appears to have division one talent, but there was a big question if his grades improved enough. He spent some time at Tartan and didn't do well in class at all. Too bad, heck of a player.

A few videos of KJ Walton. The bottom mixtape video is from May of 2013 and the top two are more recent. It looks like he has grown 2-3 inches and is quite a bit stronger now. I think he would be an excellent get for Richard at this point.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yFgVle0yVu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MonovQO0yJY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hEQ_splFEAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It looks like he has grown 2-3 inches and is quite a bit stronger now.

I can't view the videos currently.

He's been listed a 6'-3" consistently on the sites I've seen. You think he is 6'-5" or 6'-6" based on these videos?

I can't view the videos currently.

He's been listed a 6'-3" consistently on the sites I've seen. You think he is 6'-5" or 6'-6" based on these videos?

Obviously, it's hard to tell from videos...but my guess would be that he was closer to 6'1" or 6'2" in the first video from early 2013 and looks more like 6'4" (and is even labeled so in the video title) in the more recent one from his 2014 fall league. Just seems more explosive now too...looked to be much more of a below-the-rim type player in the previous videos, while now he is flying around and throwing down monster dunks left and right.

Obviously, it's hard to tell from videos...but my guess would be that he was closer to 6'1" or 6'2" in the first video from early 2013 and looks more like 6'4" (and is even labeled so in the video title) in the more recent one from his 2014 fall league. Just seems more explosive now too...looked to be much more of a below-the-rim type player in the previous videos, while now he is flying around and throwing down monster dunks left and right.
Excuse my ignorance, but is it really wise to be recruiting another guard when our class currently is made up of three Guards and a Center.

Or do we just not value SFs and are willing to roll out a three-guard system? Or maybe Walton can play the 3... what do i know. Just seems sketchy going into next year with one true SF in Morris (plus, we don't know McNeil's future)...

What happened to that Dujuan Piper kid from Seattle. Is he eligible for 2015?

Excuse my ignorance, but is it really wise to be recruiting another guard when our class currently is made up of three Guards and a Center.

Or do we just not value SFs and are willing to roll out a three-guard system? Or maybe Walton can play the 3... what do i know. Just seems sketchy going into next year with one true SF in Morris (plus, we don't know McNeil's future)...

Piper will be eligible for the 2016 class.

I think Walton could play the 3. I also think McBrayer can play the 3 at 6'4" if he can get a bit stronger, similar to the way Morris did this year. For me, it boils down to if our guards/wings can guard the 3 spot of other teams on defense; offensively, I think Pitino's system would actually benefit from having all of these combo guards that can handle the ball out there. Here's our breakdown for next year:

1-2 Mason (SO), Dorsey (FR), Johnson (FR)
2-3 Morris (SR), McBrayer (FR)
4 King (SR), Buggs (JR), Martin (SO), Diedhiou (FR or SO?)
5 Konate (SO), Nwankwo (FR)

I think we'll be fine numbers-wise in the frontcourt. I think the main spot we could use for 2015 is another 2-3, preferably closer to the size of a 3...but you can't be too picky at this point, probably just take the best player available and then keep the other scholarship open for a transfer-type at the end of the season.

I think we'll be fine numbers-wise in the frontcourt. I think the main spot we could use for 2015 is another 2-3, preferably closer to the size of a 3...but you can't be too picky at this point, probably just take the best player available and then keep the other scholarship open for a transfer-type at the end of the season.

Might be too early to look into it but does anyone know of any potential grad transfers, i.e. players receiving their degree this year that will have another year of eligibility? I think this could be huge for us, add a veteran 2/3 with immediate elligibility. We will be relatively inexperienced next year outside of King, Morris, Mason, and however much experience Buggs/Martin/Konate pull from this season.

Might be too early to look into it but does anyone know of any potential grad transfers, i.e. players receiving their degree this year that will have another year of eligibility? I think this could be huge for us, add a veteran 2/3 with immediate elligibility. We will be relatively inexperienced next year outside of King, Morris, Mason, and however much experience Buggs/Martin/Konate pull from this season.

I can't wait to see how Pitino uses Mason, Dorsey, and Johnson... We will have a strong back court for years. That's why it would be preferable to get a 3

I can't wait to see how Pitino uses Mason, Dorsey, and Johnson... We will have a strong back court for years. That's why it would be preferable to get a 3

Agreed...Ideally for me, I would love to get a grad transfer or two that are able to step in right away and play one solid year for us next season. Then use those open scholarships in 2016 to get Coffey and Hurt along with one other outstate recruit (from King's scholarship).

I think Walton could play the 3. I also think McBrayer can play the 3 at 6'4" if he can get a bit stronger, similar to the way Morris did this year. For me, it boils down to if our guards/wings can guard the 3 spot of other teams on defense; offensively, I think Pitino's system would actually benefit from having all of these combo guards that can handle the ball out there. Here's our breakdown for next year:

1-2 Mason (SO), Dorsey (FR), Johnson (FR)
2-3 Morris (SR), McBrayer (FR)
4 King (SR), Buggs (JR), Martin (SO), Diedhiou (FR or SO?)
5 Konate (SO), Nwankwo (FR)

Seeing this, all I can think of is how young we are going to be. Unless a few of those folks develop immensely over this season, we are going to be getting pasted next season.

Well its too bad this Martin things happened this late or at all really but you cant help but think about Illikainen now with schollies open

Well its too bad this Martin things happened this late or at all really but you cant help but think about Illikainen now with schollies open

Illikainen is not happening. He's a committed player. I don't see why people think there's a shot of him being with the gophers

Get Walton, a Juco, and a Senior transfer. It evens up the future classes and brings in a couple of more experienced players to a mostly young team. Easier said than done, but that would be ideal.

Top Bottom